There are 159 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
With Crick, Stratton, Blackburn and Escobar in the minors, our SP for the future looks pretty bright. That makes me think that the FA's we'll inquire on during the offseason will be veterans who are looking for 1-2 year deals. I just don't see us re-signing Zito or Lincecum at this point.

Youre forgetting probably the best looking one right now. Martin Agosta. 2.18 era, 92 k's in 74.1 ip, 1.07 whip, .186 opp avg.

Yep. Agosta has been great. Wouldnt it be nice to have as many hitting prospects as we do pitching prospects?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'd add Ty Blach, Martin Agosta, Adalberto Mejia and Chase Johnson as young SP's to also keep an eye on.

Youre forgetting probably the best looking one right now. Martin Agosta. 2.18 era, 92 k's in 74.1 ip, 1.07 whip, .186 opp avg.

Maybe our farm system isn't that bad after all. I just checked Blackburn's numbers in San Jose, and it doesn't look like he's doing all that great Still got an excellent K/BB ratio 99/26 but his ERA is in the mid 4's. Outside of Crick, I still think he's my favorite prospect.
I'd add Ty Blach, Martin Agosta, Adalberto Mejia and Chase Johnson as young SP's to also keep an eye on.

Maybe our farm system isn't that bad after all. I just checked Blackburn's numbers in San Jose, and it doesn't look like he's doing all that great Still got an excellent K/BB ratio 99/26 but his ERA is in the mid 4's. Outside of Crick, I still think he's my favorite prospect.

Its still bad. We dont have 1 hitter that is a sure thing and possibly only Williamson that can be an impact type hitter.
Heston DFA'd for Frenchy. Supposedly the beat writers think we have a trade in the works for him.

Casilla activated off the DL but hasn't looked good just yet.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Its still bad. We dont have 1 hitter that is a sure thing and possibly only Williamson that can be an impact type hitter.

Yeah, it's a bummer that Brown is starting to look like a bust. However, I'd much rather have a pitcher-rich farm system because I believe good pitchers are harder to come by on the market, and the good ones will always cost an arm and a leg. Plus, our homegrown pitching has brought us 2 W/S rings, and I would like to see that trend continue. With Posey, Belt, Crawford, Sandoval (hopefully) and maybe Panik coming up to the majors in the near future, I like the core of our offense for the foreseeable future. I also think we'll bring back Pence, so we'll also have RF solidified for the next few years.

And now that we got Tanaka, we've found our All-Star left fielder for the next 5 years
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Jul 13, 2013 at 4:01 PM ]

Yeah, it's a bummer that Brown is starting to look like a bust. However, I'd much rather have a pitcher-rich farm system because I believe good pitchers are harder to come by on the market, and the good ones will always cost an arm and a leg. Plus, our homegrown pitching has brought us 2 W/S rings, and I would like to see that trend continue. With Posey, Belt, Crawford, Sandoval (hopefully) and maybe Panik coming up to the majors in the near future, I like the core of our offense for the foreseeable future. I also think we'll bring back Pence, so we'll also have RF solidified for the next few years.

And now that we got Tanaka, we've found our All-Star left fielder for the next 5 years

you mean Godzilla!

Although I wouldn't call Andrew Susac an impact player, there may be a chance he could be a serviceable player on the big league level. I agree with you we certainly need more impact players. I was disappointed the Giants neglected outfielders during this years draft.
Totally-unrealistic-but-fun-to-speculate, 2017 opening day starting lineup:

Tyler Hollick - CF
Brandon Crawford - SS
Buster Posey - C
Mac Williamson - RF
Brandon Belt - 1st
Angel Villalona - LF
Ryder Jones - 3rd
Christian Arroyo - 2nd

Bench: Andrew Susac (C), Johnny Monell (C), Gary Brown (OF), Roger Keishnick (OF), Adam Duvall (INF), Joe Panik (INF)

SP: Madison Bumgarner, Matt Cain, Kyle Crick, Edwin Escobar, Chris Stratton OR Martin Agosta
RP: Clayton Blackburn (RHP-long relief), Ty Blach (LHP), Chase Johnson (RHP), Josh Osich (LHP), Cody Hall (RHP), Stephen Johnson (RHP-CLSR)

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 13, 2013 at 6:06 PM ]
our farm system is good now?

Originally posted by ads_2006:

Not really. Some promising arms though, a few decent young power hitters with potential and the two high schoolers from the '13 draft that seem interesting. That's pretty much it, unless Gustavo Cabrera develops into something special.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM ]

Originally posted by ads_2006:

Not really. Some promising arms though, a few decent young power hitters with potential and the two high schoolers from the '13 draft that seem interesting. That's pretty much it, unless Gustavo Cabrera develops into something special.

Agreed. It is still one of the worst in baseball but at least there are some promising arms at the lower levels.
Totally-unrealistic-but-fun-to-speculate, 2017 opening day starting lineup:

Tyler Hollick - CF
Brandon Crawford - SS
Buster Posey - C
Mac Williamson - RF
Brandon Belt - 1st
Angel Villalona - LF
Ryder Jones - 3rd
Christian Arroyo - 2nd

Bench: Andrew Susac (C), Johnny Monell (C), Gary Brown (OF), Roger Keishnick (OF), Adam Duvall (INF), Joe Panik (INF)

SP: Madison Bumgarner, Matt Cain, Kyle Crick, Edwin Escobar, Chris Stratton OR Martin Agosta
RP: Clayton Blackburn (RHP-long relief), Ty Blach (LHP), Chase Johnson (RHP), Josh Osich (LHP), Cody Hall (RHP), Stephen Johnson (RHP-CLSR)

If Susac really develops I could see Buster moving to a LF, 3B, or 1B by 2017. As for the OF, that would be one scary group at ATT with Villalona in LF and WIlliamson in RF. LOL.
This season ain't over

lol funny how quickly people can go from thinking the sky is falling, to getting confidence back again.

Hopefully we get a couple more wins here in SD and snuff out any talk about trading Romo. Nobody in this division scares me, and we still have 2.5 months of baseball left to catch up.

The Dodgers scare the hell out of me. Their pitching is damn good with probably the best 1-2 in the NL. I think they run away with this division as the talent is just too good. HOWEVER, I hope someone pulls this up in September when the Giants win and rub it in my face.
Williamson is pretty athletic for a big guy and he's got a cannon, though he probably does project better in LF. Villalona is also surprisingly nimble for a big dude, though 1st is definitely his best position. I could actually see Buster playing first and Belt in LF (who by then should have his issues at the plate worked out).
This season ain't over

lol funny how quickly people can go from thinking the sky is falling, to getting confidence back again.

Hopefully we get a couple more wins here in SD and snuff out any talk about trading Romo. Nobody in this division scares me, and we still have 2.5 months of baseball left to catch up.

The Dodgers scare the hell out of me. Their pitching is damn good with probably the best 1-2 in the NL. I think they run away with this division as the talent is just too good. HOWEVER, I hope someone pulls this up in September when the Giants win and rub it in my face.

Yah, the Dodgers pitching is no joke, and their lineup is as good as anyone's in the league. Hate to say but their talent blows away everyone else in the division...and it should with that payroll.
Share 49ersWebzone