There are 359 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Poor Pence. Can never find a good home. Hope he lands somewhere scooter-friendly.

I wouldnt feel to bad for him. He got traded to a team that won a title and makes a lot of money. I wouldnt be surprised at all if the Giants sign him to a 3 year deal regardless of whether he is traded in the next couple of weeks.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by AC49er:
I wouldnt trade Cain quite yet

i would trade him....but his salary, doe......

If I was calling the shots on this one, I would shut down Cain for the rest of the season. I think the wear and tear of all those innings pitched in previous seasons including going deep in two playoff runs is catching up to him. I would like see both Cain and Bumgarner get shut down sooner rather than later so they will be very well rested and ready to go for the 2014 season.

You cant just shut Cain down for the season because he's pitching poorly. Fatigue probably has something to do with it, but pitchers used to throw 300 innings every year, and Cain is built to last. Cain would definitely not be on board with that strategy, and the neither would the players union. The AS break, and possibly skipping 1 start would be all the rest he needed.

Also, shutting Bumgarner down early is a ridiculous idea. Hes having a great year. Since when do teams who start to fade just shut down their good SP to give them rest...

If this season continues this way, you just play it out like normal, and the whole staff will have all of October to get extra rest.

Yep. You cant shut down a healthy pitcher at this point in the season. Maybe the last 2 weeks in order to let some kids pitch in September and give them extra rest but thats it.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
I agree as long as the ownership is committed to a $120-130M payroll, in theory it shouldn't take long to have a competitive team again. In the meantime they should get all the prospects they could get, tank to get a top 10 draft choice, increase in international spending money for next year, in the offseason, reload through FA and trades where teams are looking to dump salary, as long as the length isn't beyond a couple years.

I'm leaning towards wanting a top 10 pick badly. We keep reaching for players in the mid 20's and it's not paying off.

Part of the problem is the type of players we reach for in the 20s. Guys like Joe Panik are never going to come in and make a huge difference. I would go with kids with big upside and power potential.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Poor Pence. Can never find a good home. Hope he lands somewhere scooter-friendly.

I wouldnt feel to bad for him. He got traded to a team that won a title and makes a lot of money. I wouldnt be surprised at all if the Giants sign him to a 3 year deal regardless of whether he is traded in the next couple of weeks.

I think he'd come back even if he was traded if he likes it here as much as he says he does.
http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/sergio-romo-vents-frustration-with-media-on-knbr-morning-show/
Chad Gaudin got arrested
i dont think we trade pence.

that would make no sense.

didnt mean to rhyme.
Originally posted by Garcia:
i dont think we trade pence.

that would make no sense.

didnt mean to rhyme.

It would make ALL the sense in the world if you knew he wanted to come back and sign as a FA. Why not give him a chance to play the last couple of months for a contender, get prospects back, and then sign him back if you really want him.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Chad Gaudin got arrested

Welcome to yesterday
It would make ALL the sense in the world if you knew he wanted to come back and sign as a FA. Why not give him a chance to play the last couple of months for a contender, get prospects back, and then sign him back if you really want him.

lol..... How in the world could you guarantee that? seems far fetched and Im not sure if youre being serious or not.

I wouldn't take the chance, sign him to a 3-4 year deal.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Chad Gaudin got arrested

LOLWUT.

I'm no baseball expert but I think the giants deep playoff run last year with the "lack of fire" these guys have from winning a championship has factored into their poor performance. And also injuries PLAYED a huge part as well. I hope that a well rested team can come back in 2014 and make one more title run before it's time to rebuild.

lol..... How in the world could you guarantee that? seems far fetched and Im not sure if youre being serious or not.

You don't guarantee he comes back, but you also can't guarantee he signs an extension. He's a free agent at the end of this season.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
You don't guarantee he comes back, but you also can't guarantee he signs an extension. He's a free agent at the end of this season.

good point.

I am totally serious. First of all I dont want to overpay for Hunter Pence. Yes, he had a good first two months but he isnt worthy of a huge deal. Of course you cant guarantee that he would come back and that is the risk you would have to take. Quite frankly, I would rather take that chance than overpay him with a big deal right now. If I can get a very good prospect for Pence I would do that in a heartbeat.
I am totally serious. First of all I dont want to overpay for Hunter Pence. Yes, he had a good first two months but he isnt worthy of a huge deal. Of course you cant guarantee that he would come back and that is the risk you would have to take. Quite frankly, I would rather take that chance than overpay him with a big deal right now. If I can get a very good prospect for Pence I would do that in a heartbeat.

Thats interesting.

I just think a 20/20 guy who doesnt get hurt and works hard is pretty valuable. Trading him and then re-signing would be a 'coup deta' for sure - I would jizz.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com