There are 201 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by 49erha:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Everyone other than Romo. Anyone else can go.

The problem for the Giants........... I doubt anyone will take on Affeldts contract and give up anything. Same with Lincecum. Same with Pence. Same with them all.

Giants are screwed.

I honestly don't mind having a complete fire sale. Basically anyone not named poesy or madbum. No will take scuturo cause of his contract, same with Cain. But I would trade panda for some prospects, I'd trade pence too. No need for romo IMO he is not a long term closer. We still have poesy madbum and Cain should bounce back next year. Zito tim and pence off the books is about 60 mil free'd up should be able to reload this offseason. Plus if they tank they will get a high draft pick, may not mean much but high picks have served the giants well recently.

Its WAY too early to have a fire sale. Like I said, teams that are in rebuilding mode have fire sales, not teams coming off their 2nd WS title in 3 years.

For the Giants to panic now because of a bad 3 week stretch and sell off the team just a few months after winning a title? It sends a HORRIBLE message to the fans. It would be suicide for their business. Were on a 200+ game sellout streak. Telling everyone "we give up in mid July" in this weak of a division race? No chance.

We just signed Posey, Cain, and Bumgarner in the last year or so to longterm deals. We just signed prime/past prime players like Scutaro/Pagan/Affeldt to multi year deals. As bad as its looked thus far, were in win now mode. We cant just start rebuilding out of nowhere. They didnt spend all that money on guys like Posey just to have it all be wasted on rebuilding years.
another frustrating loss. i guess we'll just have to wait till next year to celebrate another WS championship...
Doesn't matter if we have a fire sale, sabean will still hand out s**tty contracts

Not saying we should get rid of sabean, but fire sale may not be the way to go.
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Jul 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM ]
The Giants caught lightening in a bottle in 2010 and 2012 but their poor drafting and poor free agent decisions are catching up to them. When you dont draft any positon players other than Buster Posey who have any impact it makes it VERY tough to have continued success.

The Giants got very lucky with Ryan Vogelsong, Marco Scutaro, Cody Ross, and Aubrey Huff to help them with titles. These were fringe players that very few wanted who played over their heads. It isnt easy to continue to find that year after year.

Where they find themselves now........... 3 or 4 stars.. MB, Cain, Posey, a couple of guys with potential to be good players in Crawford and Belt, and not much else. Sabean gave big contracts to players like Affeldt, Scutaro, and Pagan and was damn lucky that Lincecum didnt take the same $100M deal that Cain took.

I would love to be optimistic about the next couple of years but it is difficult when there is so little in the minors to come up and really make a difference.
would you guys consider trading Pablo at all right now?

honestly I'd be for it if he weren't struggling so much which would lead to low offers. Nonetheless if we become sellers I wouldn't mind shipping him out, and you know what that means coming from me
Originally posted by vrabbit:

honestly I'd be for it if he weren't struggling so much which would lead to low offers. Nonetheless if we become sellers I wouldn't mind shipping him out, and you know what that means coming from me

Cant trade him now because his value has to be at an all time low. Get him in shape in the off season and then trade him. I dont want him long term.
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
these games are really hard to watch..

Cant trade him now because his value has to be at an all time low. Get him in shape in the off season and then trade him. I dont want him long term.

it sucks because right now it makes the most sense to trade him since we're in selling mode, it's just bad timing that his stock is low (and if he were hot, we may not be in sell mode anyways)

other concern is we don't seem to have anyone to replace him immediately ... can we give this guy a look? http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=489126

him or Chris Dominguez

I'd only want him long term if he has stipulations in his contract that he has to maintain a certain weight. It clearly affects his play.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

I'd only want him long term if he has stipulations in his contract that he has to maintain a certain weight. It clearly affects his play.

I'm not for babysitting a grown ass man. He should by now have a CLEAR understanding of how his weight affects his health and if he can't take care of that without stipulations in his contract then I want to try to get something for him while he still has some value. Who knows, he may turn it around somewhere else but he seems to be too "comfortable" here

The stupid Players Association would probably not allow weight clauses in a contract.

I'm not for babysitting a grown ass man. He should by now have a CLEAR understanding of how his weight affects his health and if he can't take care of that without stipulations in his contract then I want to try to get something for him while he still has some value. Who knows, he may turn it around somewhere else but he seems to be too "comfortable" here

It's not babysitting, it's covering the team's ass. He's streaky, but once he gets hot he's on. I can't say I'd trade him anytime soon.

An ass that has grown way too much.
The Giants caught lightening in a bottle in 2010 and 2012 but their poor drafting and poor free agent decisions are catching up to them. When you dont draft any positon players other than Buster Posey who have any impact it makes it VERY tough to have continued success.

The Giants got very lucky with Ryan Vogelsong, Marco Scutaro, Cody Ross, and Aubrey Huff to help them with titles. These were fringe players that very few wanted who played over their heads. It isnt easy to continue to find that year after year.

Where they find themselves now........... 3 or 4 stars.. MB, Cain, Posey, a couple of guys with potential to be good players in Crawford and Belt, and not much else. Sabean gave big contracts to players like Affeldt, Scutaro, and Pagan and was damn lucky that Lincecum didnt take the same $100M deal that Cain took.

I would love to be optimistic about the next couple of years but it is difficult when there is so little in the minors to come up and really make a difference.

I have to agree. Couple of FA moves like Ross and Scutaro that worked out for us, but we traded away anything we really had to help refresh this lineup. Now we have a farm system lacking talent, and big league roster with a few big holes. We either have to hope a team cuts a guy like Cody Ross for us, or we are stuck in the current situation.

I believe this was what we were saying all along. I love that we got two world titles, but I am really worried how you put a team back together when other teams are willing to out spend you, and have a farm system with quality chips.

If he overreacts and gets rid of Crick, etc. we will really be screwed moving forward.
Idk this team is just in a slump. Hopefully they break out.
Share 49ersWebzone