LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 187 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
I wouldn't mind the Giants selling right now, the prospect cupboard is basically bare.

Really though............ who would teams even want that much. Lopez yes. Scutaro or Pence perhaps. That is about it.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by susweel:
how bout them Dodgers. Woooooo

Every single Dodger "fan" on this board is a fake fan. The Dodger thread is dead unless theyre playing well. Even then nobody posts on a regular basis. Fair-weather bandwagon fans shouldnt be trolling.

Silly rabbit. Niner talk gives me enough of a headache. You expect us to keep up "the talk" and banter in a forum dedicated to a SF team? Not really keen on being called a fake fan.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
My prediction for the Giants all-stars tomorrow:

Buster Posey
Madison Bumgarner
Hunter Pence
Sergio Romo

I dont think Pence should be on the team. I agree with the other 3 although if Bochy wasnt the manager Bumgarner and Romo would be on the bubble.

NL Outfielders that should be ahead of Pence:
Carlos Gomez
Carlos Gonzalez
Carlos Beltran
Michael Cuddyer
Andrew McCutchen
Dom Brown
Jay Bruce
Shin Soo Choo

Pence and Romo will get the nod to recognize not only this year, but what they meant to our WS run last year. Bochy made some similar picks in 2011. Between Bochy picking rosters, and injured/uninterested players dropping out, I think all 4 will be there.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Originally posted by susweel:
how bout them Dodgers. Woooooo

Every single Dodger "fan" on this board is a fake fan. The Dodger thread is dead unless theyre playing well. Even then nobody posts on a regular basis. Fair-weather bandwagon fans shouldnt be trolling.

Silly rabbit. Niner talk gives me enough of a headache. You expect us to keep up "the talk" and banter in a forum dedicated to a SF team? Not really keen on being called a fake fan.

Theres a Dodger thread, just like a Cardinals thread, a Braves thread, a Phillies thread, an A's thread, etc. Nobody is going to pick on you for being a Dodger fan in the Dodger thread. People talk Lakers big time on here. When the Dodger thread is mostly filled with Giants fans and people posting "Go Dodgers!" once a month when theyre on a good run, what does that say about Dodger fans on this site?

If youre a real Dodger fan, then that doesnt apply to you. There has just never really been a Dodger fan in the Other Sports section who hangs around and talks baseball with all of us (john, myself, rubber, jrg, valrod, etc.)
Originally posted by jrg:
Not trying to troll at all, but I just don't think you guys will be competitive this season. I understand feeling like you are since you just won the WS, but I just don't see it with this years team. Your pitching has always carried you. First Timmy went to mediocre, and now Cain has been iffy.

I don't think it'd be smart to add this season. Just accept the season and try and improve next season. You guys need to give Posey something to work with on the offensive side. Belt, Sandoval, Scutaro, Pence, Crawford, etc just isn't gonna do it IMO.

This isn't trolling. Posting stupid baseball meme pics is trolling, this post is serious. I agree with you that given the current situation, we aren't competitive. But the division is so close it is worth a chance at the right price. Giants need a hitter in the outfield and some pitching help.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by jrg:
Not trying to troll at all, but I just don't think you guys will be competitive this season. I understand feeling like you are since you just won the WS, but I just don't see it with this years team. Your pitching has always carried you. First Timmy went to mediocre, and now Cain has been iffy.

I don't think it'd be smart to add this season. Just accept the season and try and improve next season. You guys need to give Posey something to work with on the offensive side. Belt, Sandoval, Scutaro, Pence, Crawford, etc just isn't gonna do it IMO.

This isn't trolling. Posting stupid baseball meme pics is trolling, this post is serious. I agree with you that given the current situation, we aren't competitive. But the division is so close it is worth a chance at the right price. Giants need a hitter in the outfield and some pitching help.

And tape a chicken nugget to the ball. Only then will Pablo hit it.
f**k LA
where art thou Surkamp?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I wouldn't mind the Giants selling right now, the prospect cupboard is basically bare.

I agree. Giants have won two WS with this pitching. Got everything out of them. Keep Bum and Cain and try to build the staff around them. On the offense, build it around Posey. Giants should be major sellers.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
f**king unwatchable.

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

I agree. Giants have won two WS with this pitching. Got everything out of them. Keep Bum and Cain and try to build the staff around them. On the offense, build it around Posey. Giants should be major sellers.

wonder if Scutaro could be had for a good power hitting prospect?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

wonder if Scutaro could be had for a good power hitting prospect?

An injury prone 37 year old 2B with 17 mil left on a 3 year deal? Id guess no.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Really though............ who would teams even want that much. Lopez yes. Scutaro or Pence perhaps. That is about it.

I think we should at least wait a few weeks before we start selling. See if there are signs of life first...if not, see what you can get for Pence, Skoots, Timmy (not much, probably) and Javy.
I think the Giants should sell at the July 31st deadline

The three untouchables although Two have No Trade clauses
Buster Posey
Matt Cain
Madison Bumgarner

Extremely reluctant to trade, cost controlled players
Brandon Belt
Brandon Crawford

Would consider trading if offered high end prospects

Pablo Sandoval signed through 2014, would not offer long term contract. However given next season is a contract year I believe he would be motivated to lose a good amount of weight in the off season and have a big 2014 season and cash in on it. Therefore I wouldn't trade him on the cheap but if premium prospects are involved I would have to consider it.

Segio Romo Closers are very volatile and most easily replaceable, if high end prospects are involved would consider pulling the trigger, otherwise he stays

Hunter Pence Would like to have negotiating rights through the end of the season and have the option of tendering him a contract and getting an extra draft pick should he leave. However, if a high end prospect is offered you pull the trigger.

Everyone else, I would look to get out of future contracts and take mid level prospects, I know putting Marco Scutoro and Jermey Affeltdt in this category may be harsh but we would have the entire off season to figure out how to fill these holes between FA and other teams looking to shed salary.
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
I think the Giants should sell at the July 31st deadline

The three untouchables although Two have No Trade clauses
Buster Posey
Matt Cain
Madison Bumgarner

Extremely reluctant to trade, cost controlled players
Brandon Belt
Brandon Crawford

Would consider trading if offered high end prospects

Pablo Sandoval signed through 2014, would not offer long term contract. However given next season is a contract year I believe he would be motivated to lose a good amount of weight in the off season and have a big 2014 season and cash in on it. Therefore I wouldn't trade him on the cheap but if premium prospects are involved I would have to consider it.

Segio Romo Closers are very volatile and most easily replaceable, if high end prospects are involved would consider pulling the trigger, otherwise he stays

Hunter Pence Would like to have negotiating rights through the end of the season and have the option of tendering him a contract and getting an extra draft pick should he leave. However, if a high end prospect is offered you pull the trigger.

Everyone else, I would look to get out of future contracts and take mid level prospects, I know putting Marco Scutoro and Jermey Affeltdt in this category may be harsh but we would have the entire off season to figure out how to fill these holes between FA and other teams looking to shed salary.

Affeldt is untouchable, we need him bad in our Pen
Share 49ersWebzone