There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Hopper:
I'd say Andrew Susac has been a lot more impressive than Williamson and Villalona. He has a very good OPS in Richmond.

I would tend to agree. But Susac also has a full year of A+ baseball under his belt. This is Mac's first year there and he's starting to put up really good numbers (.320 average, 6 HRs, 21 RBIs, .421 OBP and an OPS of over 1.000 in June). Susac has been very consistent this year at the plate, but he hasn't had a single month that good all year. That's not a slight against Susac at all; I'm just providing context.

And of course Angel hadn't faced quality professional pitching since 2009.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Well he is someone to get more excited about compared to Peguero, Brown, or Panik in my opinion.

With Blanco and Torres struggling I am surprised Peguero doesnt get another call up. I guess they do not think too highly of him.

He just isnt that good of a hitter and there is nothing that he is special at. In most organizations he wouldnt be a top 20 prospect.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
John - I can only hope that Mac turns into something similar to Holliday, but I really believe all the tools/raw power are all there. He's also got a cannon for an arm and surprising speed for a guy that big, so RF isn't out of the question (though LF is probably where he'll end up).

Btw, Villalona was promoted to AA Richmond over the weekend, so it's going to be interesting to see how he does there. He's never gone beyond high A before and definitely hasn't faced the kind of pitching that the Eastern League is known for.

I think Villalona will stuggle in AA ball. Its going to take him some time. It was more of a demotion for Oropesa who sucked at Richmond and to simply flop the guys.

Definitely a flip-flop of Oropesa and Villalona, but it still bumps Angel up to AA for the first time. I agree, he'll definitely struggle there, but I'm glad he got the call this year...it should put him ahead of the game next year when he'll likely start at 1st for Richmond. If he's not traded, of course.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Definitely a flip-flop of Oropesa and Villalona, but it still bumps Angel up to AA for the first time. I agree, he'll definitely struggle there, but I'm glad he got the call this year...it should put him ahead of the game next year when he'll likely start at 1st for Richmond. If he's not traded, of course.

If Belt hits 20 HRs this year... even if he doesn't but still performs well - I'd say trade Villalona for some pitching prospects.
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM ]

If Belt hits 20 HRs this year... even if he doesn't but still performs well - I'd say trade him for some pitching prospects.

If he does do that, why would we trade him? If he doesn't, who would want him and what could we actually get back of value for him?
If Belt hits 20 HRs this year... even if he doesn't but still performs well - I'd say trade him for some pitching prospects.

I'm glad you are not the GM. We need more young offensive players like Belt not less. With all the money coming off the books from Lincecum and Zito there will be money to re do the Middle to bottom end of the starting rotation through FA.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:

I'm glad you are not the GM. We need more young offensive players like Belt not less. With all the money coming off the books from Lincecum and Zito there will be money to re do the Middle to bottom end of the starting rotation through FA.

Let me clarify. I meant trade VILLALONA not Belt. If you read my posts on here you would know I am a big Belt fan.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
If he does do that, why would we trade him? If he doesn't, who would want him and what could we actually get back of value for him?

Meant Villalona not Belt.

Oh, that's a different story. I'd try and trade Villalona anyway for quality starting pitching, regardless of what Belt does. Though Villalona would have to be part of a package as he alone wouldn't command much.
I'd say Andrew Susac has been a lot more impressive than Williamson and Villalona. He has a very good OPS in Richmond.

I would tend to agree. But Susac also has a full year of A+ baseball under his belt. This is Mac's first year there and he's starting to put up really good numbers (.320 average, 6 HRs, 21 RBIs, .421 OBP and an OPS of over 1.000 in June). Susac has been very consistent this year at the plate, but he hasn't had a single month that good all year. That's not a slight against Susac at all; I'm just providing context.

That's great but we all know Richmond is the biggest hurdle for our positional prospects. So far Susac is passing the test. Until I see how well Williamson hits in the Eastern league I can't get too excited. I already made that mistake once with Thomas Neal who tore apart the Cal league.

That's great but we all know Richmond is the biggest hurdle for our positional prospects. So far Susac is passing the test. Until I see how well Williamson hits in the Eastern league I can't get too excited. I already made that mistake once with Thomas Neal who tore apart the Cal league.

There is no debating this. The California Leauge (A ball) and Pacific Coast League (AA ball) are big time hitters leagues and guys put up big stats. If they can hit at Richmond its much more of a real sign as to their future. If Susac continues to hit well he could very well be part of a deal to get pitching or an outfield bat. I dont see Posey moving out of the catching spot anywhere soon and it would probably make sense to deal Susac in the right trade.

Well, technically, Neal did pretty well at Richmond too.

Btw, I know you're not comparing Neal to Williamson, but it is important to point out that Mac was the 115th player chosen overall in the 2012 draft. Neal was a nice story, but he was a 36th round pick and wasn't REALLY a prospect compared to Williamson (tools, potential, projection, etc.).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM ]

I think I remember freaking out when he was traded for Orlando Cabrera. I think the Yanks called him up earlier last month and he didn't do anything. At least he's great in the minors
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
I think I remember freaking out when he was traded for Orlando Cabrera. I think the Yanks called him up earlier last month and he didn't do anything. At least he's great in the minors

Probably because you knew Orlando Cabrera was about done.

Oh, that's a different story. I'd try and trade Villalona anyway for quality starting pitching, regardless of what Belt does. Though Villalona would have to be part of a package as he alone wouldn't command much.

Villalona is going to be worth far more to us than anything wed get for him.

We are desperate for talented hitting prospects, so giving them up isnt a good idea. Also, Villalona is still young, but the huge loss of development time set him back so far that nobody is going to take the risk on him for more than a mediocre type return.

Ive noticed nobody has mentioned Adam Duvall down in AA. He put up a 30/100 season last year in high A, and has been producing decent power in AA despite missed time. He could eventually replace Sandoval at 3B.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com