There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

http://espn.go.com/espys/2013/vote/?id=9402936&lang=null

vote for best team

obviously not this yr. lol
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Joba chamberlain.....

What about him? He is awful.

it's being reported that the Giants may be after him

I just have no idea why. Getting an overrated RP is the last thing they need.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
maybe Kickham's value for us in the future could be a long reliever

The Giants have several pitchers in their organization that have much bigger upsides. I think Kickham will be lucky to have much value in any capacity. Crick, Stratton, Blackburn, Agosta, Surkamp , Heston.... to name a few with more promise.

I just wish the Giants had ONE stud hitter in their system. Just ONE. Instead they have guys like Gary Brown and Joe Panik. Guys who will never be great hitters in the majors.

I would throw Edwin Escobar, Adalberto Mejia and Ty Blach (who's having a great year for the SJG) in there as well. In fact, I think Blach might be a better version of Surkamp.

In terms of hitters, I think Mac Williamson will eventually be that guy.

Regarding Kickham, I agree with Frisco that the bullpen might be where he eventually adds some value.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Joba chamberlain.....

What about him? He is awful.

it's being reported that the Giants may be after him

I just have no idea why. Getting an overrated RP is the last thing they need.

what we need is Bud Norris
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,013
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I would throw Edwin Escobar, Adalberto Mejia and Ty Blach (who's having a great year for the SJG) in there as well. In fact, I think Blach might be a better version of Surkamp.

In terms of hitters, I think Mac Williamson will eventually be that guy.

Regarding Kickham, I agree with Frisco that the bullpen might be where he eventually adds some value.

I'm a fan.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I would throw Edwin Escobar, Adalberto Mejia and Ty Blach (who's having a great year for the SJG) in there as well. In fact, I think Blach might be a better version of Surkamp.

In terms of hitters, I think Mac Williamson will eventually be that guy.

Regarding Kickham, I agree with Frisco that the bullpen might be where he eventually adds some value.

I'm a fan.

I think Mac has the potential to develop into a Matt Holliday-type player. Whether he does or not remains to be seen, but all the tools are there.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
maybe Kickham's value for us in the future could be a long reliever

The Giants have several pitchers in their organization that have much bigger upsides. I think Kickham will be lucky to have much value in any capacity. Crick, Stratton, Blackburn, Agosta, Surkamp , Heston.... to name a few with more promise.

I just wish the Giants had ONE stud hitter in their system. Just ONE. Instead they have guys like Gary Brown and Joe Panik. Guys who will never be great hitters in the majors.

I would throw Edwin Escobar, Adalberto Mejia and Ty Blach (who's having a great year for the SJG) in there as well. In fact, I think Blach might be a better version of Surkamp.

In terms of hitters, I think Mac Williamson will eventually be that guy.

Regarding Kickham, I agree with Frisco that the bullpen might be where he eventually adds some value.

Kind of sad though to think that the Giants best hitting prospect could be a 22 year old in A ball hitting .260 and striking out about every 4 times up. I hope he does develop because it looks like Williamson and Villalona are the only 2 in the system with big time power potential.

Ghost, I know you have seen him play and I havent so you are much better prepared to talk about WIlliamson. Obviously one has to like his size and power. This is the type of player that the Giants can really use. If he gets close to Matt Holiday as a player I would be thrilled.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jul 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
maybe Kickham's value for us in the future could be a long reliever

The Giants have several pitchers in their organization that have much bigger upsides. I think Kickham will be lucky to have much value in any capacity. Crick, Stratton, Blackburn, Agosta, Surkamp , Heston.... to name a few with more promise.

I just wish the Giants had ONE stud hitter in their system. Just ONE. Instead they have guys like Gary Brown and Joe Panik. Guys who will never be great hitters in the majors.

I would throw Edwin Escobar, Adalberto Mejia and Ty Blach (who's having a great year for the SJG) in there as well. In fact, I think Blach might be a better version of Surkamp.

In terms of hitters, I think Mac Williamson will eventually be that guy.

Regarding Kickham, I agree with Frisco that the bullpen might be where he eventually adds some value.

Kind of sad though to think that the Giants best hitting prospect could be a 22 year old in A ball hitting .260 and striking out about every 4 times up. I hope he does develop because it looks like Williamson and Villalona are the only 2 in the system with big time power potential.

Ghost, I know you have seen him play and I havent so you are much better prepared to talk about WIlliamson. Obviously one has to like his size and power. This is the type of player that the Giants can really use. If he gets close to Matt Holiday as a player I would be thrilled.

god thats depressing...
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
maybe Kickham's value for us in the future could be a long reliever

The Giants have several pitchers in their organization that have much bigger upsides. I think Kickham will be lucky to have much value in any capacity. Crick, Stratton, Blackburn, Agosta, Surkamp , Heston.... to name a few with more promise.

I just wish the Giants had ONE stud hitter in their system. Just ONE. Instead they have guys like Gary Brown and Joe Panik. Guys who will never be great hitters in the majors.

I would throw Edwin Escobar, Adalberto Mejia and Ty Blach (who's having a great year for the SJG) in there as well. In fact, I think Blach might be a better version of Surkamp.

In terms of hitters, I think Mac Williamson will eventually be that guy.

Regarding Kickham, I agree with Frisco that the bullpen might be where he eventually adds some value.

Kind of sad though to think that the Giants best hitting prospect could be a 22 year old in A ball hitting .260 and striking out about every 4 times up. I hope he does develop because it looks like Williamson and Villalona are the only 2 in the system with big time power potential.

Context is important. He started off red-hot in the Cal League, got hurt and struggled to regain his form. But in June, he started to get hot and his numbers across the board are up and his K's are down as well. By season's end (which would be his first full-season in professional baseball), he'll probably end up hitting around .290, with 20+ HRs, 80+ RBIs and possibly even 10+ steals.

If he does that, those numbers would be comparable to/better than Matt Holliday's minor league numbers at the same age (who didn't make the bigs until he was 24 and also had similar strikeout numbers). Strictly conjecture on my part, but Holliday is the major league I see the most similarity with in terms of size/tools/abilities.
I'd say Andrew Susac has been a lot more impressive than Williamson and Villalona. He has a very good OPS in Richmond.
John - I can only hope that Mac turns into something similar to Holliday, but I really believe all the tools/raw power are all there. He's also got a cannon for an arm and surprising speed for a guy that big, so RF isn't out of the question (though LF is probably where he'll end up).

Btw, Villalona was promoted to AA Richmond over the weekend, so it's going to be interesting to see how he does there. He's never gone beyond high A before and definitely hasn't faced the kind of pitching that the Eastern League is known for.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,013
Originally posted by Hopper:
I'd say Andrew Susac has been a lot more impressive than Williamson and Villalona. He has a very good OPS in Richmond.

I'm not impressed by 14 HRs in A ball... but I am happy that after all that s**t Villalona is producing something. Hopefully he continues to develop.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Context is important. He started off red-hot in the Cal League, got hurt and struggled to regain his form. But in June, he started to get hot and his numbers across the board are up and his K's are down as well. By season's end (which would be his first full-season in professional baseball), he'll probably end up hitting around .290, with 20+ HRs, 80+ RBIs and possibly even 10+ steals.

If he does that, those numbers would be comparable to/better than Matt Holliday's minor league numbers at the same age (who didn't make the bigs until he was 24 and also had similar strikeout numbers). Strictly conjecture on my part, but Holliday is the major league I see the most similarity with in terms of size/tools/abilities.

Well he is someone to get more excited about compared to Peguero, Brown, or Panik in my opinion.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,013
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Well he is someone to get more excited about compared to Peguero, Brown, or Panik in my opinion.

With Blanco and Torres struggling I am surprised Peguero doesnt get another call up. I guess they do not think too highly of him.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
John - I can only hope that Mac turns into something similar to Holliday, but I really believe all the tools/raw power are all there. He's also got a cannon for an arm and surprising speed for a guy that big, so RF isn't out of the question (though LF is probably where he'll end up).

Btw, Villalona was promoted to AA Richmond over the weekend, so it's going to be interesting to see how he does there. He's never gone beyond high A before and definitely hasn't faced the kind of pitching that the Eastern League is known for.

I think Villalona will stuggle in AA ball. Its going to take him some time. It was more of a demotion for Oropesa who sucked at Richmond and to simply flop the guys.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com