There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
lincecum friggin blows this year, wow can't wait to get rid of this clown.

so disrespectful, Lincecum has done so much for this team, the past 5 years. So what if he is struggling? So is Zito, he blows on the road. And Vogey was getting torched also this year. Traitor fans like you trashing former cy young winners. Cool story bro

No ones trashing anyone, Timmy blows now and that's the truth of the matter. When you're paying $40 million for two pitchers who are a combined 8-13 with ERA's over 4.5, they're bound to be the subject of ridicule.

Traitor fans lol. We all admire and respect Timmy's past accomplishments, but the reality is that he is no longer the dominant ace of this staff. Certainly not worth the $20 million they are paying him this year as well.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Jun 27, 2013 at 9:10 AM ]

so disrespectful, Lincecum has done so much for this team, the past 5 years. So what if he is struggling? So is Zito, he blows on the road. And Vogey was getting torched also this year. Traitor fans like you trashing former cy young winners. Cool story bro

Come on. We are fans - not traitors. Everyone appreciates what Lincecum did a few years ago but its 2013 and he is being paid $20 million this year and is awful. This makes 2 years in a row where he is one of the worst starters in the league. How would you feel if Kaepernick threw 3 interceptions every game and the 49ers finished 6-10 next year. Would you say we were traitors if we criticized him because of the fact that he lead them to the SB last year?

What Zito and Vogelsong have done has nothing to do with Tim Lincecum. This is solely about Timmy and his inability to once again help his team.
For some reason, this team has no heart. No fire. Getting swept by the Dodgers in unacceptable. Are they just all tired? Someone needs to wake these guys up. They are World Series Champions.
not giving up on Lincecum. sure, he's no longer the dominant pitcher we all loved, but i still feel like he'll bring it together. he's been pretty good in June (3.60 ERA, i believe). it'd be nice if the offense can get him some runs so he feels less pressure to be perfect.
Timmy definitely wasn't flawless last night, but he showed some flashes. Not saying he's blameless, but it'd be great if these guys would make a play for him now and then. Hector could have thrown out two guys in the 6th...that was huge. Especially Ethier, had him dead to rights and made an awful throw.

This team needs a shot in the arm. Not sure if anyone on the roster can provide it -- Juan Perez was great for a while. Wouldn't mind seeing a fresh face from the minors, but not sure anyone is ready to make an impact. Enough with the three catchers.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

No ones trashing anyone, Timmy blows now and that's the truth of the matter. When you're paying $40 million for two pitchers who are a combined 8-13 with ERA's over 4.5, they're bound to be the subject of ridicule.

Traitor fans lol. We all admire and respect Timmy's past accomplishments, but the reality is that he is no longer the dominant ace of this staff. Certainly not worth the $20 million they are paying him this year as well.

of course i admire what he's done for us, but that doesn't warrant keeping him after this year. it is what it is, and he is not the same player he use to be, stop trolling.
Nolasco could be one less trade option soon.
boy do we need a shot in the arm. I'd like for us to pursue Bud Norris. As for Timmy, he still has strikeout stuff, with his 1k per ip line as is. He just needs to learn how to pitch with command. That might never happen. Maybe we trade him at the deadline if he can build any value this month?
Originally posted by NinerJedi:
For some reason, this team has no heart. No fire. Getting swept by the Dodgers in unacceptable. Are they just all tired? Someone needs to wake these guys up. They are World Series Champions.

My guess is, they're paying the price mentally, physically and systemically for doing what it takes to win 2 out of the last 3 titles. That's no easy feat, and historically, maintaining that level of play over an extended period just isn't realistic especially when you're not nearly as talented as the other teams around you. Plus, a lot of things went right for them over the last few years, which is unusual because baseball is a game of failure.

Bottom line, everything/everyone eventually regresses toward the mean.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jun 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

My guess is, they're paying the price mentally and physically for doing what it takes to win 2 out of the last 3 titles. That's no easy feat, and historically, maintaining that level of play over an extended period just isn't realistic. Especially when you're not nearly as talented as the other teams around you...eventually, everything/everyone regresses toward the mean.

Extremely fair and valid point. My initial take on the drop off of production from the arms this season is that the number of innings they have logged the last number of seasons may have finally taken its toll. Of course, there is no way to prove that, but it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to believe that could be at least a factor, if not the major root cause, of this downswing from the pitching staff.

I am really surprised at how bad they have been defensively. There are no excuses for that, and it has really cost them.
Originally posted by Hopper:

Good. Hes overrated, and would cost too much for a rental. Let the Dodgers waste prospects on him.
Originally posted by DaManRathman:

My guess is, they're paying the price mentally and physically for doing what it takes to win 2 out of the last 3 titles. That's no easy feat, and historically, maintaining that level of play over an extended period just isn't realistic. Especially when you're not nearly as talented as the other teams around you...eventually, everything/everyone regresses toward the mean.

Extremely fair and valid point. My initial take on the drop off of production from the arms this season is that the number of innings they have logged the last number of seasons may have finally taken its toll. Of course, there is no way to prove that, but it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to believe that could be at least a factor, if not the major root cause, of this downswing from the pitching staff.

I am really surprised at how bad they have been defensively. There are no excuses for that, and it has really cost them.

I definitely think it's a combination of overall fatigue, mediocre talent finally playing to their level and the cyclical nature of baseball.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Good. Hes overrated, and would cost too much for a rental. Let the Dodgers waste prospects on him.

Outside of maybe Scott Feldman I think the majority of the available starting pitching is going to be very pricey.

My guess is, they're paying the price mentally, physically and systemically for doing what it takes to win 2 out of the last 3 titles. That's no easy feat, and historically, maintaining that level of play over an extended period just isn't realistic especially when you're not nearly as talented as the other teams around you. Plus, a lot of things went right for them over the last few years, which is unusual because baseball is a game of failure.

Bottom line, everything/everyone eventually regresses toward the mean.

It factors in to a certain extent, but they all had an offseason to recharge. The pitchers being leaned on for 3+ years now may be catching up to them, but I dont think its a mental "hangover". They just have some weaknesses that are being exposed. Both in 2010 and 2012 you could argue that our seasons wouldve been deemed failures if a couple factors dont play out. In 2010 we relied on a Padres mega-collapse to come back, and even then we had to win the division on the final day. Add in the Brooks Conrad play, and 2010 couldve easily went the other way.

In 2012 a Scott Rolen error late in game 3 allowed a season saving win. This team was never a powerhouse, we just come up big in big situations. Weve been walking a thin line with the rotation all these years now. It finally bit us in the butt this year. Hopefully we can take advantage of a weak division and find that magic again in 2013.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Agreed. I really dont want Nolasco very much. Maybe if he didnt cost much at all but you know he will. Really hoping for Norris and not having to give up too much. To me, he is the guy that makes sense for this team.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com