LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think the next 3 weeks will decide if the Giants make a big trade for a pitcher. If Lincy and Zito continue to struggle and the Giants are still in the race I dont think there is any question that they will go after a starter. Bud Norris is the most likely guy.

I could see something like this going down........... Gary Brown and Chris Heston or Edwin Escobar for Norris. I would hope the Giants wouldnt deal Crick, Stratton, Agosta, or Blackburn but I wouldnt be shocked at any of them going either.

I'm tired of us trading away our type guys for not always a perfect deal. We need to save Gary Brown 1 more year

Well.. I hear you. This would not be like the infamous Wheeler for Beltran deal. Norris has a very cheap contract and is a proven major league starter that I would classify as a #3 or #4 guy in any rotation. Gary Brown is certainly a dilemma. If he gets it together and suddenly becomes what you hoped for then you would kick yourself for dealing him. If he sucks again next year then he has absolutley no trade value.
Originally posted by Garcia:
I have no vendentta against you. I just think you are a lousy poster and not very informed.

Lets do the math... 7 million if Giants opt out of the currnet contract + 14 million for a new deal for 2 years = 21

ist grade Math
+14
_____

thats exactly why I am saying we opt out and re-sign him. Opt out, he gets 7mill. Give him an extra million + and $6m the following year and youre good.

it's only a solution if we do not bring vogey and timmy back.
I think Timmy is a goner and Vogey has been way worse than Zito this year so far. I am not sure he turns it around - definitely a wait and see thing.

This is NOT what you were saying before. Nice to see you change your stance though. Obviously most of us want the Giants to opt out of the contract and offer him a $1 million dollar deal. What we dont want is to pay him $7 million up front and then pay him 7-8 per year like you wanted before. LOL at you reducing the following year now to 6M.
I think the next 3 weeks will decide if the Giants make a big trade for a pitcher. If Lincy and Zito continue to struggle and the Giants are still in the race I dont think there is any question that they will go after a starter. Bud Norris is the most likely guy.

I could see something like this going down........... Gary Brown and Chris Heston or Edwin Escobar for Norris. I would hope the Giants wouldnt deal Crick, Stratton, Agosta, or Blackburn but I wouldnt be shocked at any of them going either.

I'm tired of us trading away our type guys for not always a perfect deal. We need to save Gary Brown 1 more year

Well.. I hear you. This would not be like the infamous Wheeler for Beltran deal. Norris has a very cheap contract and is a proven major league starter that I would classify as a #3 or #4 guy in any rotation. Gary Brown is certainly a dilemma. If he gets it together and suddenly becomes what you hoped for then you would kick yourself for dealing him. If he sucks again next year then he has absolutley no trade value.

I would trade Gary Brown for Norris in a heartbeat, especially with the emergence of Perez (who might end up being about the same player as Brown is, but is more versatile and has a better arm).
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I wonder if they might want a guy like Angel Villalona instead. He's the perfect guy for that stadium and I don't believe they have anything in the pipeline in terms of a serious 1st base prospect. Who knows, that might've been what the Giants had in mind all along instead of just parting ways with him after the murder stuff....see if Angel could salvage his career to the point where he could be used as a trade piece.

Perhaps. But Chris Carter is just 26 years old and on pace to hit about 30 homers.
and for what its worth: Travis Wood >> Bud Norris

I would trade Gary Brown for Norris in a heartbeat, especially with the emergence of Perez (who might end up being about the same player as Brown is, but is more versatile and has a better arm).

Have to agree here with you Ghost. As I said, you might kick yourself if Brown suddenly gets it together but this would be a good deal for the Giants. With the possibility of losing 3 starters next year it would be sweet to get a cheap and effective guy like Bud Norris.
and for what its worth: Travis Wood >> Bud Norris

For 1/2 a season yes. Before 2013.. no way.

I wonder if they might want a guy like Angel Villalona instead. He's the perfect guy for that stadium and I don't believe they have anything in the pipeline in terms of a serious 1st base prospect. Who knows, that might've been what the Giants had in mind all along instead of just parting ways with him after the murder stuff....see if Angel could salvage his career to the point where he could be used as a trade piece.

Perhaps. But Chris Carter is just 26 years old and on pace to hit about 30 homers.

Forgot about Carter, who btw, is almost the same type of player as Villalona with Angel being 4 years younger.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
This is NOT what you were saying before. Nice to see you change your stance though. Obviously most of us want the Giants to opt out of the contract and offer him a $1 million dollar deal. What we dont want is to pay him $7 million up front and then pay him 7-8 per year like you wanted before. LOL at you reducing the following year now to 6M.

I didnt mean to come across that way. Never would give Zito 15m for a year... 6-7 mill would be OK. (only if we let timmy and vogey walk)

Unless we can get an 'Anibal Sanchez' type like the Tigers did last year I'm not sure I'd waste precious assets on a guy like Bud Norris.
Wait till vogelsong comes back

Zito starts at home, gaudin on road

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Wait till vogelsong comes back

Zito starts at home, gaudin on road

Vogey won't be back until early August, late July at best. I can't see them waiting until then to make a move since the trade deadline will have come and gone if he's not back until August. As for just starting Zito at home, that's not a bad idea in theory, but Bochy doesn't strike me as the kind of manager that would do that.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jun 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Vogey won't be back until early August, late July at best. I can't see them waiting until then to make a move since the trade deadline will have come and gone if he's not back until August. As for just starting Zito at home, that's not a bad idea in theory, but Bochy doesn't strike me as the kind of manager that would do that.

Reports are he is ahead of schedule and could be back after the all-star break.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Nolasco pitching tomorrow. Maybe something to keep an eye on.
Originally posted by Hopper:

Too hefty a contract to take on, no?
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jun 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:

Too hefty a contract to take on, no?

it would be interesting. that was the big rumor about a month ago.
Share 49ersWebzone