There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by DaManRathman:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Who would everyone say is the Giants 4th best hitter? (After Posey, Panda, and Pence)

Scutaro. Best is subjective, I'd say Scurato is a much better situational hitter than Pence is, but Pence obviously has more pop and speed.

i think Pagan is just as a good hitter as Scutaro IMO
Who would everyone say is the Giants 4th best hitter? (After Posey, Panda, and Pence)

Scutaro. Best is subjective, I'd say Scurato is a much better situational hitter than Pence is, but Pence obviously has more pop and speed.

Wow, really? I guess their career numbers are fairly equal, but since joining the Giants Scutaro is hitting like .340 or some crazy number like that, and his OBP is near .390.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Wow, really? I guess their career numbers are fairly equal, but since joining the Giants Scutaro is hitting like .340 or some crazy number like that, and his OBP is near .390.

I guess for me, i just think Pagan is a better overall player right now than Scut. Faster on the bases, and better defensively as well.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran

Originally posted by Garcia:

Pagan's career average (8yrs) .280
Scutaro's career average (12yrs) .278
  • Garcia
  • Veteran

lol. cmon man. Scutaro hit .360 as a Giant last year.
He's hitting .330 (give or take) this year to Pagans .260
I would take Pagan over Scutaro as well. Much more explosive, which makes up for Scutaro's higher on base percentage. Scuataro hits better with runners on and gets on a lot, but Pagan is explosive and can run. Averages are the same, but that is subjective. I think we are hurting a little right now with Pagan out and it shows. Would not mind seeing Perez in LF every once in a while when Pagan comes back to CF.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I would take Pagan over Scutaro as well. Much more explosive, which makes up for Scutaro's higher on base percentage. Scuataro hits better with runners on and gets on a lot, but Pagan is explosive and can run. Averages are the same, but that is subjective. I think we are hurting a little right now with Pagan out and it shows. Would not mind seeing Perez in LF every once in a while when Pagan comes back to CF.

Were talking pure hitting.
GGG just looking straight at stats, ignoring protection. Scutaro gets the luxury of hitting ahead of Pablo and Posey, so they go at him. Pagan hits leadoff, which does not offer that protection.
Originally posted by Garcia:

lol. cmon man. Scutaro hit .360 as a Giant last year.
He's hitting .330 (give or take) this year to Pagans .260

is it fair to talk the last 1 or so in compared to someones entire career? that's a speculative argument. I guess the question I should have asked is,
(1) Who has more value to the team?
GGG just looking straight at stats, ignoring protection. Scutaro gets the luxury of hitting ahead of Pablo and Posey, so they go at him. Pagan hits leadoff, which does not offer that protection.

very good point, and also I could make the point that if they were to switch 1-2. Pagan would be clearly better.
[ Edited by Frisco69ers on Jun 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM ]
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame

agreed!
Definitely think Pagan is a better overall player than Skoots is, but not a better hitter "since joining the Giants" (which is all I care about) and definitely doesn't get on base as much as Marco does. For example, I'd rather have Scutaro at bat in a clutch situation than just about anyone, definitely more so than Pagan....and I'm a huge AP fan.

Btw, yes more Perez! I was posting about him last month saying he was the most interesting player in Fresno, though I messed up and said he was a switch hitter (he's clearly not). But IMO he was the best player on the Grizzlies roster the first 2 months and definitely the most versatile.
Definitely think Pagan is a better overall player than Skoots is, but not a better hitter "since joining the Giants" (which is all I care about) and definitely doesn't get on base as much as Marco does. For example, I'd rather have Scutaro at bat in a clutch situation than just about anyone, definitely more so than Pagan....and I'm a huge AP fan.

Btw, yes more Perez! I was posting about him last month saying he was the most interesting player in Fresno, though I messed up and said he was a switch hitter (he's clearly not). But IMO he was the best player on the Grizzlies roster the first 2 months and definitely the most versatile.

okay but would Scutaro hit better at say the 7 hole rather than the 2 with Pence, Posey, and Panda behind him??

okay but would Scutaro hit better at say the 7 hole rather than the 2 with Pence, Posey, and Panda behind him??

I don't think anyone would hit better in the 7th hole as opposed to behind those guys. But I'm not sure why that's relevant since neither Pagan nor Scutaro hit 7th. I don't think Pagan needs to hit better than Scutaro to be more effective, since hitting lead-off is a difficult thing to do. I do think Pagan needs to get on base at a higher percentage than he does though. Since Scutaro's OBP is near .390 with the Giants, I think he's just a much more effective presence at the plate.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com