There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

• AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by valrod33:
Anquan Boldin ‏@AnquanBoldin 2m Got to my locker out here in San Francisco and found a box of gear from the @SFGiants waiting for me. Big thanks for the welcoming gift.

ill
Anquan Boldin ‏@AnquanBoldin 2m Got to my locker out here in San Francisco and found a box of gear from the @SFGiants waiting for me. Big thanks for the welcoming gift.

fresh
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Bumgarner has thrown 47 innings this month, that's a lot in April. Bochy played it smart.

Of course he did. He isnt going to burn out Bumgarner this early in the season. Some people just dont get it I guess. Well.. one anyway

I don't buy the pitch count b******t of this generation, there is literally no data that suggests these p***y pitch counts and inning counts is protecting the players or the franchises investment

It does not surprise me at all that you believe in it.

For the record, I did not agree with Gibson's decision either, both managers pulled too early imo
Originally posted by danimal:

fresh

So whose championship parade car will he be driving this year?
Bumgarner has thrown 47 innings this month, that's a lot in April. Bochy played it smart.

Of course he did. He isnt going to burn out Bumgarner this early in the season. Some people just dont get it I guess. Well.. one anyway

I don't buy the pitch count b******t of this generation, there is literally no data that suggests these p***y pitch counts and inning counts is protecting the players or the franchises investment

For the record, I did not agree with Gibson's decision either, both managers pulled too early imo

It's not a matter of necessarily protecting the investment, it's a matter of being effective and the body wearing down or the player just getting tired. There have been some studies done stating as such. I don't know if there's a specific number of pitches that they should top out at, but repeating the same motion for long periods of time will definitely be taxing on the body.

This is a pretty interesting read:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/26/us-baseball-pitching-health-idUSBRE89P16G20121026
http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/5/1/4290646/barry-zito-jamming-with-metallica-because-why-not

Sick. Lord Zito story and a video of him jamming with metallica. Must watch for G'S fans
Hot minor league hitters in April:

Francisco Peguero, OF (Fresno) - Hitting .443, .460 OBP, 1.083 OPS in 15 games
Brett Pill, 1B (Fresno) - Hitting .361, 6 HRs, 28 RBIs, 8 doubles, .389 OBP, .896 OPS in 21 games
Kensuke Tanaka, 2B (Fresno) - Hitting .387, .423 OBP, 1.083 OPS in 21 games
Carter Jurica, SS (Fresno) - Hitting .360, 2 HRs, 6 doubles, .427 OBP, .972 OPS in 23 games
Joe Panik, 2B (Richmond) - Hitting .320, .400 OBP, .833 OPS in 25 games
Devin Harris, OF (San Jose) - Hitting .293, 9 HRs, 26 RBIs, 5 doubles, .356 OBP, 1.062 OPS in 23 games * HR in 6 straight games
Ryan Cavan, 3B/2B (San Jose) - Hitting .364, 9 doubles, .410 OBP, .887 OPS in 25 games
That's how you lead off a game Pagan
Heyo!
Alright cool, TIMMY got out of a potentially bad inning

Yes. I agree with Bochy and almost everyone who has a clue when it comes to this. It doesnt surprise me that you cant understand that you dont burn out a young pitchers arm in baseball. From your comments over the past 2 years you have proven that you basically have no idea when it comes to baseball.
Go Pence.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

It's not a matter of necessarily protecting the investment, it's a matter of being effective and the body wearing down or the player just getting tired. There have been some studies done stating as such. I don't know if there's a specific number of pitches that they should top out at, but repeating the same motion for long periods of time will definitely be taxing on the body.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/26/us-baseball-pitching-health-idUSBRE89P16G20121026

I think its both actually. A manager will look at pitch count for effectiveness and to protect his pitchers. I guess certain people dont understand that a 162 game schedule is a marathon. If you look at Bumgarner over the past couple of years he has worn down and his velocity has declined in the 2nd half. Keeping him fresh and effective is paramount to the Giants success.
that steal is on Timmy, as usual
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

I think its both actually. A manager will look at pitch count for effectiveness and to protect his pitchers. I guess certain people dont understand that a 162 game schedule is a marathon. If you look at Bumgarner over the past couple of years he has worn down and his velocity has declined in the 2nd half. Keeping him fresh and effective is paramount to the Giants success.

The trick is to get the most out of the pitcher when they're young and still able. Dusty Baker is a great example of a manager who takes great care of power arms as a means to prolong the careers of talented pitchers. Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Jason Schmidt, and Robb Nen pitched lights out and that is a testament to Dusty's preservation of arms.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com