LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 341 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Its not all that amazing, Braun is coming off a neck injury and still isnt right. He looked confused at the plate. (I cant stand him by the way).

i just thought it was funny/mildly amusing... whatever - SILVER LINING SMK
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Btw, Clayton Blackburn is the real deal. Saw him last night and after giving up a solo HR to the 2nd batter, he scattered only 3 more hits through 6 innings. This kid already knows how to pitch by mixing speeds, commanding location, keeping hitters off balance and setting them up perfectly. I don't think he hit 90 on the gun at anytime last night, but he still had 9 Ks against just 1 BB. Now, it's clear that he's not even trying to throw hard so it's likely that his fastball is more low-to-mid 90's, but his command is so impressive at 88-89 that he doesn't need to hump it up in Low A ball. Think Greg Maddux's command/mound presence in the body of Rick Reuschel and that's Clayton Blackburn.

Then LHR Bryce Bandilla came in with his 95+ stuff and was blowing guys away. Bandilla is another arm to watch as a lefty reliever. In fact, this SJ pitching staff top-to-bottom might end up being one of the impressive ones in all of minor league ball this year.

thats awesome. You watch these guys everyday so I enjoy the minor league player updates you give.

No worries. Watching these guys come up is a lot of fun.
Btw, Clayton Blackburn is the real deal. Saw him last night and after giving up a solo HR to the 2nd batter, he scattered only 3 more hits through 6 innings. This kid already knows how to pitch by mixing speeds, commanding location, keeping hitters off balance and setting them up perfectly. I don't think he hit 90 on the gun at anytime last night, but he still had 9 Ks against just 1 BB. Now, it's clear that he's not even trying to throw hard so it's likely that his fastball is more low-to-mid 90's, but his command is so impressive at 88-89 that he doesn't need to hump it up in Low A ball. Think Greg Maddux's command/mound presence in the body of Rick Reuschel and that's Clayton Blackburn.

Then LHR Bryce Bandilla came in with his 95+ stuff and was blowing guys away. Bandilla is another arm to watch as a lefty reliever. In fact, this SJ pitching staff top-to-bottom might end up being one of the impressive ones in all of minor league ball this year.

thanks for the updates, ghost!
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Of all his pitches, he seems to command the fastball the best...but when that goes, he loses it pretty quickly and the other stuff goes too. His fastball is definitely electric, but it's also pretty straight, so he might be better trading speed for movement. Again, he's the closest thing I've seen to Zach Wheeler in our system, and I mean that in both the good (stuff) and bad (lack of control).

I've always like Blackburn over Crick because Blackburn's overall command. That's why I was in favor of that Beltran for Wheeler trade at that time. Wheeler has dynamite stuff but his control issues were problematic. The only problem I have with the beltran trade today was that the G's probably could've gotten more in return than Beltran who was on the last year of his contract.

If I had to make a bet on which pitcher gets to the bigs first and stays longer, I'd go with Blackburn. Stuff-wise, there's no comparison since Crick has the classic "stuff" you want to see in a potential #1 or #2. But Blackburn is the kind of guy who can pitch 10-12 years in the majors because he actually knows HOW to pitch, regardless of his stuff.

Now, to be clear, I do think Wheeler is/was a much better prospect than Crick and I'm sure everyone would agree with that. I was mostly comparing their stuff and their lack of control from what I saw of them both here in SJ. They're eerily similar in those areas...which does make me think that the reason Sabes was willing to part with Wheeler was his concern about his lack of control (or that they had just drafted Crick and felt they had someone similar in the fold). At the end of the day, if you can't locate your pitches properly, it doesn't matter how good your stuff is, major league hitters will pummel you. Which is what might've made Wheeler expendable in Sabean's eyes.

And, which is why I really, really like Blackburn (and I'd thrown in Edwin Escobar too).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM ]
If I had to make a bet on which pitcher gets to the bigs first and stays longer, I'd go with Blackburn. Stuff-wise, there's no comparison since Crick has the classic "stuff" you want to see in a potential #1 or #2. But Blackburn is the kind of guy who can pitch 10-12 years in the majors because he actually knows HOW to pitch, regardless of his stuff.

Now, to be clear, I do think Wheeler is/was a much better prospect than Crick and I'm sure everyone would agree with that. I was mostly comparing their stuff and their lack of control from what I saw of them both here in SJ. They're eerily similar in those areas...which does make me think that the reason Sabes was willing to part with Wheeler was his concern about his lack of control (or that they had just drafted Crick and felt they had someone similar in the fold). At the end of the day, if you can't locate your pitches properly, it doesn't matter how good your stuff is, major league hitters will pummel you. Which is what might've made Wheeler expendable in Sabean's eyes.

And, which is why I really, really like Blackburn (and I'd thrown in Edwin Escobar too).

Do you see Escobar as a starter potential or a reliever? I read somewhere that he's projected as a reliever.

Do you see Escobar as a starter potential or a reliever? I read somewhere that he's projected as a reliever.

IMO, he has the stuff, the presence and the command to be a #4/5 starter in 2-3 years...but if that doesn't pan out, he could definitely be an effective LHR along the lines of Jose Mijares. Either way, he's a good young arm that we should see in the future (barring any weirdness/injuries).
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I'm so impressed with Crawford AB's this season. You can see his confidence is growing.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

It's impressive how polished Blackburn looks at 20. I really hope he's promoted to Richmond if he's dominating the Cal league by mid season.
Of all his pitches, he seems to command the fastball the best...but when that goes, he loses it pretty quickly and the other stuff goes too. His fastball is definitely electric, but it's also pretty straight, so he might be better trading speed for movement. Again, he's the closest thing I've seen to Zach Wheeler in our system, and I mean that in both the good (stuff) and bad (lack of control).

I've always like Blackburn over Crick because Blackburn's overall command. That's why I was in favor of that Beltran for Wheeler trade at that time. Wheeler has dynamite stuff but his control issues were problematic. The only problem I have with the beltran trade today was that the G's probably could've gotten more in return than Beltran who was on the last year of his contract.

Disagree with ever trading a stud #1 potential starter unless you are getting a young stud back. Wheeler has averaged over 10 K's per 9 in his minor league career and has electric stuff. It is VERY hard to get guys like that. Which is why the trade for Beltran was idiotic. That is also why I would trade Blackburn anyday before Crick. One has the upside to be a top of the line rotation guy while the other might be a 4th or 5th starter.

That is not in anyway putting Blackburn down and I am excited about his potential as well.

And Ghost.. thanks for the scouting reports.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Disagree with ever trading a stud #1 potential starter unless you are getting a young stud back. Wheeler has averaged over 10 K's per 9 in his minor league career and has electric stuff. It is VERY hard to get guys like that. Which is why the trade for Beltran was idiotic. That is also why I would trade Blackburn anyday before Crick. One has the upside to be a top of the line rotation guy while the other might be a 4th or 5th starter.

That is not in anyway putting Blackburn down and I am excited about his potential as well.

No problem. And though I am a huge fan of Blackburn, it's clear to me too that Crick has the much higher ceiling...his fastball cracks the catcher's mitt so loud it resonates throughout the entire stadium. He's that kinda of thrower. That said, Blackburn is light years ahead of Crick when it comes to the art of pitching and though CB doesn't project to be a top-of-the-rotation kind of guy, it wouldn't shock me if he ended up more as a solid #3. He's really fun to watch and as their careers progress, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out (the thrower versus the pitcher).

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

No problem. And though I am a huge fan of Blackburn, it's clear to me too that Crick has the much higher ceiling...his fastball cracks the catcher's mitt so loud it resonates throughout the entire stadium. He's that kinda of thrower. That said, Blackburn is light years ahead of Crick when it comes to the art of pitching and though CB doesn't project to be a top-of-the-rotation kind of guy, it wouldn't shock me if he ended up more as a solid #3. He's really fun to watch and as their careers progress, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out (the thrower versus the pitcher).

There's also a lot of buzz around Gregorio right now (23K:1BB) also. I think we'll be fine with a rotation of Cain/Madbum and then three farm guys rounding it out eventually if Timmy continues his downward spiral and doesn't stay.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
#SFGiants lineup today (4/17) at MIL:

Pagan cf,
Scutaro 2b,
Sandoval 3b,
Posey c,
Pence rf,
Belt 1b,
Blanco lf,
Crawford ss,
Vogelsong p
I love Crawford's AB.

I don't think he even set foot in AAA, did he?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I love Crawford's AB.

Originally posted by Garcia:
I love Crawford's AB.

Maybe they should move Craw in front of Blanco in the lineup?
Share 49ersWebzone