LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Cant wait for the season to start. Spring Training is just too damn long.

This.

LETS GO TO THE DOYER GAME OPENING DAY MOFO!

I'll be in Germany, otherwise I'd be all over that. Next time they're in town I'm totally down.
  • Garce
  • Veteran

This.

I'll be in Germany, otherwise I'd be all over that. Next time they're in town I'm totally down.

alright bud. im down. for srs. have fun in deutchland.
Originally posted by schmons:
when is rubber going to make a new thread for the new season? need the good juice to keep flowing

Right before the season opener, just like last year. . But it won't be a new one, it will be this one but updated.
Anquan Boldin ‏@AnquanBoldin Always have love for the @Orioles, but I hear San Francisco has a pretty good baseball team too. I've got room for an NL team to root for.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Anquan Boldin ‏@AnquanBoldin Always have love for the @Orioles, but I hear San Francisco has a pretty good baseball team too. I've got room for an NL team to root for.

I'm liking this Anquan guy. Arizona fans must be really pissed.

This.

alright bud. im down. for srs. have fun in deutchland.

Will try, it's for work but I'm taking the girl with me this time. A week there, a week in France (all work )
I think Belt is going to have a nice year, and I think Hunter is going surprise us.
Henry Schulman ‏@hankschulman 2m
#sfgiants have released Wilson Valdez and Ramon Ramirez.
startin' to get that itch now that the season is getting closer
Giants release '07 first-rounder Wendell Fairley, the toolsy Mississippi prep OF who topped out at Double-A with 613 OPS.

Another position player first round bust.

And now Eaton is out 6-8 weeks, injury bug hitting the NL West.

Also:

[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Mar 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
I think Belt is going to have a nice year, and I think Hunter is going surprise us.

both these.
Originally posted by Muggins:
Originally posted by valrod33:

I'm liking this Anquan guy. Arizona fans must be really pissed.

love Anquan
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by notsoempty86:

both these.

Gotta hope, he's batting .429 through 50+ AB's and is a triple away from the cycle today.
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – The Giants further boiled down competition for their last bench and bullpen spots Friday morning, calling right-hander Ramon Ramirez and infielder Wilson Valdez into the manager's office to inform them of their release.

In the case of that infield spots, they're dealing with a dry pan now. The only guy left is Tony Abreu, who has played in just one spring game because of a knee issue and is expected to open the season on the disabled list.

But minor leaguer Nick Noonan is coming back to big league camp, and barring an acquisition via trade or the waiver wire, he'd appear to be the frontrunner for that job now, vice president Bobby Evans said.

"We'll continue to get a look at him," Evans said of Noonan, who was optioned to Triple-A Fresno on March 15. "It does bode well for him if Abreu can't get healthy."

Valdez, quite obviously, was scratched from Friday's exhibition lineup. Noonan will start at third base and Joe Panik also will come up for the day from minor league camp to play second base.

Noonan hit just .186/.222/.326 in 18 games but he struck out just once in 43 at-bats and had much better plate appearances as he went along. He also played the best defense of any of the middle infield candidates, and is serviceable at third, short and second base. A former supplemental first-round pick out of a San Diego-area high school in 2007, Noonan drifted off the prospect track but had a resurgent season for Triple-A Fresno last year.

The Giants continue to scan the outside world for other infielders and Evans described a "constant flow" of names on the waiver wire.

"Anything is possible, but nothing has percolated to the top of the at list, other than our internal options," Evans said.

Ramirez was a key bullpen member of the 2010 club that rallied down the stretch to win the NL West and stormed off with a World Series trophy. But he had a rough season with the New York Mets last year and was inconsistent this spring. Chad Gaudin (who has an April 1 opt-out date) is almost a lock at this point to win the last bullpen spot. Scott Proctor remains in camp as well, but his opt-out date isn't until July 1.

Evans expected that Ramirez would garner some interest, but if he didn't get a better opportunity, the Giants would remain keen on re-signing him to pitch at Triple-A Fresno.

Valdez, 35, hit .194 in 18 games and played unremarkable defense.

"It's just respect for a veteran player who wasn't going to make our club," Evans said. "Let him go out and find another opportunity."

In other news, left-hander Jose Mijares (elbow impingement) will throw an inning in a minor league game Friday morning. Also, center fielder Andres Torres, who left Thursday night's game with a foot injury, said he was fine and just needed to switch to a more comfortable shoe. Second baseman Marco Scutaro, a scratch because of back stiffness Thursday, also noted improvement.

And Angel Pagan is back, hitting leadoff in Friday's lineup. He gave a lengthy interview about the impact he hopes the World Baseball Classic will have on rallying baseball in Puerto Rico. Look for that story a little later today.
Share 49ersWebzone