There are 46 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Peguero went 3 for 4 today with 3 RBIs.
[ Edited by SoCal9er on Mar 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Brock Bond has more homeruns (2) in 8 at bats this spring than he did in all of 2012 (1 in 377 at bats). Dude is scrappy and versatile. Would love to see him make the team as the second utility infielder.

Peguero has had some awesome at bats this spring as well. Thoughts on him making the team over Torres and using him against lefties?

Posey, Sanchez, Belt, Scutaro, Arias, Crawford, Sandoval, Blanco, Pagan, Pence

Cain, Lincecum, Bumgarner, Vogelsong, Zito, Romo, Lopez, Casilla, Affeldt, Mijares, Kontos

Those are the pretty much guaranteed 21 spots. We probably carry a 12th pitcher like Ramirez, and I think Pill and Torres make it. That leaves 1 spot open. Its probably Peguero, but one of the prospects or invitees could take it with a big March.

I dont see any way Torres doesnt make the team if healthy. Were weak enough at OF depth as it is.

I agree with your assessment except I don't think it's a given Brett Pill will be on the opening day roster unless their is an injury.

I think one of the two spots will go to one of Abreu (sp), Japaneze invite and Bond (least likely) We got enough coverage at first base between Posey playing some first base on some of his off catching days, Sandoval could play first base and Arias third base for a couple of games should Belt get banged up for a couple of games. I see Pill as being an odd man out unless some starts the season on the DL Also, don't forget about Nick Noonan, had a decent season in Fresno and could possibly be a decent back up infielder as well.

The other spot would be between Kieschnick and Peguero. Of course I would give Peguero the edge due to the speed factor that he could potentially pinch run late in a game as well as pinch hit.

I agree that it's a given Torres will be on the roster as LF will be a Blanco/Torres platoon
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Mar 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM ]
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Peguero went 3 for 4 today with 3 RBIs.

cant wait for him to make the final 25 man roster. Peguero >> Torres
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Peguero went 3 for 4 today with 3 RBIs.

cant wait for him to make the final 25 man roster. Peguero >> Torres

Most likely they will both be on, the Giants gave Torres a guaranteed major league contract this year. I see both of them being on the big league roster.
teh lord zito in top form
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Brock Bond has more homeruns (2) in 8 at bats this spring than he did in all of 2012 (1 in 377 at bats). Dude is scrappy and versatile. Would love to see him make the team as the second utility infielder.

Peguero has had some awesome at bats this spring as well. Thoughts on him making the team over Torres and using him against lefties?

Posey, Sanchez, Belt, Scutaro, Arias, Crawford, Sandoval, Blanco, Pagan, Pence

Cain, Lincecum, Bumgarner, Vogelsong, Zito, Romo, Lopez, Casilla, Affeldt, Mijares, Kontos

Those are the pretty much guaranteed 21 spots. We probably carry a 12th pitcher like Ramirez, and I think Pill and Torres make it. That leaves 1 spot open. Its probably Peguero, but one of the prospects or invitees could take it with a big March.

I dont see any way Torres doesnt make the team if healthy. Were weak enough at OF depth as it is.

I agree with your assessment except I don't think it's a given Brett Pill will be on the opening day roster unless their is an injury.

I think one of the two spots will go to one of Abreu (sp), Japaneze invite and Bond (least likely) We got enough coverage at first base between Posey playing some first base on some of his off catching days, Sandoval could play first base and Arias third base for a couple of games should Belt get banged up for a couple of games. I see Pill as being an odd man out unless some starts the season on the DL Also, don't forget about Nick Noonan, had a decent season in Fresno and could possibly be a decent back up infielder as well.

The other spot would be between Kieschnick and Peguero. Of course I would give Peguero the edge due to the speed factor that he could potentially pinch run late in a game as well as pinch hit.

I agree that it's a given Torres will be on the roster as LF will be a Blanco/Torres platoon

Sandoval wont be playing any 1B. He pulled a hammy stretching for a ball playing there last year, and thats the last time they put him at first. Pill actually has played a few games at 3rd in the minors.

Pill has also proven he can hit a little bit in the Majors, and has started the spring hot. I think hed get the first look before the younger guys if he has a good spring.

Posey will get time at 1B, but Pill would slot in as the regular backup 1B.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Peguero went 3 for 4 today with 3 RBIs.

cant wait for him to make the final 25 man roster. Peguero >> Torres

Based on what...

Peguero was terrible in the Majors last year, and doesnt even have much upside to be more than a 4th OF anyways.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Sandoval wont be playing any 1B. He pulled a hammy stretching for a ball playing there last year, and thats the last time they put him at first. Pill actually has played a few games at 3rd in the minors.

Pill has also proven he can hit a little bit in the Majors, and has started the spring hot. I think hed get the first look before the younger guys if he has a good spring.

Posey will get time at 1B, but Pill would slot in as the regular backup 1B.

I'm just not sure about this, I think the Giants would be better off with a different super utility infielder. I'm not sold on Pill and if Pill is on the MLB roster it may hurt Belt's development as well as he won't get to see as many lefties. I believe Sandoval won't see much of first base but I wouldn't shocked if he played a few games at first and Arias had a few games at 3rd at some point during the season if Belt is banged up.

We will just have to agree to disagree on Pill.
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Sandoval wont be playing any 1B. He pulled a hammy stretching for a ball playing there last year, and thats the last time they put him at first. Pill actually has played a few games at 3rd in the minors.

Pill has also proven he can hit a little bit in the Majors, and has started the spring hot. I think hed get the first look before the younger guys if he has a good spring.

Posey will get time at 1B, but Pill would slot in as the regular backup 1B.

I'm just not sure about this, I think the Giants would be better off with a different super utility infielder. I'm not sold on Pill and if Pill is on the MLB roster it may hurt Belt's development as well as he won't get to see as many lefties. I believe Sandoval won't see much of first base but I wouldn't shocked if he played a few games at first and Arias had a few games at 3rd at some point during the season if Belt is banged up.

We will just have to agree to disagree on Pill.

Its rare for a guy who has little to no Major League experience to make an opening day roster on a good team. You want to start the year at full strength, and unless someone from the minors just tore it up big time in ST and won a spot on the roster, they will likely send them all to AAA. Theres no rush to bring up guys like Noonan or Bond. Theyll get a call if theres an injury, or a guy like Pill just isnt getting it done.

The chances that one of those guys convinces the Giants they are one of the 25 best players theyve got are slim. Looking over the Giants roster, Pill is one of those guys whos already put in a TON of minor league time, and earned his shot at the Major League level. The Giants arent going to yank him back until theyre sure hes not working out. He still hasnt quite got a fair shake at proving he can stick.

Just my opinion on how things will shape up. Like I said, Pill was asked to take some grounders at 3rd base last year, and even played there once. He also played 2-3 games at 3rd in the minors, so he has a little position flexibility.

Itll be interesting to see how the Giants use Posey this year, now that hes fully recovered from his injury. Will he play the same amount of games at 1B, or will his proven health give him more time behind the plate than last year? Either way I think Pill will be nice to have as a backup for Belt. I dont see any concern about him taking AB's from Belt. Belt proved last year that he could hit lefties. He'll be a full time player.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Mar 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Peguero went 3 for 4 today with 3 RBIs.

cant wait for him to make the final 25 man roster. Peguero >> Torres

maybe if Peguero goes on a tear, he can win the starting LF spot?
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Just because Bruce Bochy doesn't have his watchful eye on Pablo Sandoval while he's off playing for Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic doesn't mean the portly Panda gets to slack on his diet and exercise regimen.

The San Francisco Giants are sending eight players to the international tournament and Bochy said he and his staff will keep tabs on the participants.

"We'll keep in contact with Pablo and the rest of them," Bochy said after the Giants' 5-3 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks Sunday. "We mapped out a program for our guys, in particular Pablo that he's got to do everyday."

Bochy didn't go into specifics about what the program entails, but it's been clear since the start of camp that Sandoval's weight is still a concern. The Giants' skipper threatened to bench Sandoval for the Cactus League opener if he didn't make an unspecified weight. When the powerful switch-hitting third baseman passed the test, it surprised Bochy.

"He was cutting it close a couple of times but he made it," Bochy said.

Bochy echoed one writer's sentiments that Sandoval can swing the bat well even when he's on the heavier side, but said that less range on defense and potential injuries are the bigger concern.

Sandoval appeared to struggle at third base more often in 2012 than 2011 and also suffered a lefthamstring strain when stretching for a ball at first base.

While Bochy is publicly expressing concern over Sandoval's conditioning, he also made a point to praise the 26-year-old for the progress he's already made this spring.

"He's lost a lot of weight," Bochy said. "I think he's lost about 14 pounds already since the beginning [of camp]."

Sandoval left Scottsdale after hitting his first home run Saturday and will return to the Giants with a .500 spring average. Depending on how deep in the tournament Sandoval's Venezuelan team advances, he may not be back in a Giants uniform for two weeks.

In the mean time, Bochy said he plans on watching as much WBC action as possible to watch his eight players and hitting coach Hensley 'Bam Bam' Meulens, who is managing the Dutch team.

"I watched Bam Bam's game Saturday," Bochy said. "We get here and have the games on. So during our meetings or down time, we'll have those games on and we'll be watching our players."

While some managers might be concerned with losing that many players for an unknown period of time, Bochy said he's got no problem with the WBC and pointed out a silver lining.

"We're fine with it; we knew this was coming," he said. "It's going to force us to play some of these kids. They look good; they're taking advantage of it. [Francisco] Peguero has had a good spring. [Juan] Perez has come on and is swinging the bat better. [Gary] Brown … All of them are going to get some playing time. The fact that we're pretty much the same club we were last year makes it a little easier to lose these guys because they played together and they know each other."

The Giants' eight representatives are spread across the teams from the United States (Ryan Vogelsong and Jeremy Affeldt), Venezuela (Sandoval and Marco Scutaro), Puerto Rico (Angel Pagan), the Dominican Republic (Santiago Casilla), Mexico (Sergio Romo), and Italy (Tyler Latorre). That means Bochy may have a hard time knowing who to root for if Romo has to pitch against Sandoval or Pagan slides hard into Scutaro to try and break up a double play.

"I'll be pulling for our players to do well and pulling for the U.S. to do really well," Bochy said diplomatically.

While Bochy isn't complaining about his dwindling spring roster, he's not exactly worry-free when it comes to the WBC.

"The bigger concern is with the pitchers," he said. "Injuries, getting enough work for the relievers and things like that. [Javier] Lopez, I think the last time he went, he didn't throw very much so that made it a little tougher for him coming back. So hopefully they stay in somewhat of a regular routine. But it's hard when you're playing games. You don't say 'you got this inning that night' because they're playing to win every game."

At least with Buster Posey declining an invitation to play for the American team, Bochy has one less thing to worry about.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,233
I love what Peguero is doing, obviously, it's still early in ST.... but he is hitting over .550!
He has potential and I am on record for this, I think he has a great shot at making the roster.

Problem is we have an overloaded outfield and not enough infielders.

Gary Brown isn't hitting that much, but apparently on Sunday he made an AMAZING, Willy Mays-like catch in center, running straight back over his left shoulder. I don't think there is any doubt what he can do defensively. Brown is going to have to prove he can be a major league hitter and improve his baserunning.

Who will be our utility infielder.

If we carry 12 pitchers again. 5 SPs, 7 Relievers, that leaves 13 spots left for position players.

OF - Pagan
OF - Pence
OF - Blanco
OF - Torres
3B - Sandoval
SS - Crawford
2B Scutaro
1B - Belt
C - Posey

bench
C - Hector Sanchez

That leaves 3 spots open. Who fills them?

Candidates
OF - Roger Kieschnick
OF - Francisco Peguero
INF - Nick Noonan (tried 3B sunday)
INF - Tagawa or whatever
INF - Joe Panik (SS but prolly 2nd Base/Utlity)
ANYONE HAVE AN UPDATE ON JOAQUIN ARIAS? I imagine he's a shoe-in for a bench role... but I haven't heard anything about him during spring.
INF - Brock Bond
INF - Tony Abreu
INF/OF - Brett Pill
I love Joaquin Arias I think he makes it. That leaves 2 left.

I would love to see Peguero and Panik get the spots, Pill instead of Panik might make more sense.
Who do you guys think gets it?
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,233
Any LA are people want to go to opening day at Dodger Stadium?

Never been there before.
Originally posted by Garcia:
I love what Peguero is doing, obviously, it's still early in ST.... but he is hitting over .550!
He has potential and I am on record for this, I think he has a great shot at making the roster.

Problem is we have an overloaded outfield and not enough infielders.

Gary Brown isn't hitting that much, but apparently on Sunday he made an AMAZING, Willy Mays-like catch in center, running straight back over his left shoulder. I don't think there is any doubt what he can do defensively. Brown is going to have to prove he can be a major league hitter and improve his baserunning.

Who will be our utility infielder.

If we carry 12 pitchers again. 5 SPs, 7 Relievers, that leaves 13 spots left for position players.

OF - Pagan
OF - Pence
OF - Blanco
OF - Torres
3B - Sandoval
SS - Crawford
2B Scutaro
1B - Belt
C - Posey

bench
C - Hector Sanchez

That leaves 3 spots open. Who fills them?

Candidates
OF - Roger Kieschnick
OF - Francisco Peguero
INF - Nick Noonan (tried 3B sunday)
INF - Tagawa or whatever
INF - Joe Panik (SS but prolly 2nd Base/Utlity)
ANYONE HAVE AN UPDATE ON JOAQUIN ARIAS? I imagine he's a shoe-in for a bench role... but I haven't heard anything about him during spring.
INF - Brock Bond
INF - Tony Abreu
INF/OF - Brett Pill
I love Joaquin Arias I think he makes it. That leaves 2 left.

I would love to see Peguero and Panik get the spots, Pill instead of Panik might make more sense.
Who do you guys think gets it?

lol Peguero has like 16 ABs...

Panik isnt ready yet. Id guess Arias, Pill, and Peguero make it.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Any LA are people want to go to opening day at Dodger Stadium?

Never been there before.

I was planning on it but will be out of the country on opening day for work.

It's an absolute s**t hole.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com