There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Garcia:
Giants top prospects, per ESPN (Ranks 14th in ESPN Future Rankings)

1. Kyle Crick, RHP (76)
2. C. Blackburn, RHP (80)
3.Chris Stratton, RHP
4. Gary Brown, CF
5. Heath Hembree, RHP
6. Mac Williamson, OF
7. Joe Panik, SS
8. Mike Kickham, LHP
9. Martin Agosta, RHP
10. Andrew Susac, C

Farm system overview
Several good starting pitching prospects highlight a system that's very light on bats right now and, after closer Heath Hembree, doesn't have much that's likely to help the major league team in 2013. I could see some of the Giants' second-tier arms becoming useful trade chips for them to add a piece in July, though, so they're not without assets, just without many potential stars.

2013 impact
Hembree is ready for the majors and could be Sergio Romo's long-term replacement, but beyond him, there's no one likely to contribute this year except in backup roles.

Sleeper
First-rounder Chris Stratton, a four-pitch guy who racked up huge strikeout totals in the SEC with a plus slider, and third-rounder Matt Williamson, a rare beast as a right-handed hitter with power who can run and throw enough to play a good right field, are both candidates to move into the top 100 next year. The Giants also moved right-hander Adalberto Mejia from the Dominican Summer League in 2011 straight to the full-season Sally League in 2012, where his three-pitch mix, including an average fastball and above-average curveball, produced solid results.

lol good ol ESPN. we select a very highly touted pitcher 20th overall in the draft just last year, and hes our "sleeper".
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 30,354
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol good ol ESPN. we select a very highly touted pitcher 20th overall in the draft just last year, and hes our "sleeper".

I think by sleeper, they meant guys who can contribute this year. But Im not sure.
I'm really excited what Crick can do in San Jose. I think Blackburn will have no problems in the minors since he has command of his pitches. I love our pitching prospects.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol good ol ESPN. we select a very highly touted pitcher 20th overall in the draft just last year, and hes our "sleeper".

I think by sleeper, they meant guys who can contribute this year. But Im not sure.

Stratton wont even sniff the Majors until 2015. I get what they were trying to say, but "sleeper" wasnt the right term. I think anytime a player is taken 20th overall its a given that theyll end up becoming a top 100 prospect soon.

Given the Giants track record of drafting pitchers early, and developing them properly, id give Chris Stratton a very good chance to be a regular in the Giants rotation for years to come.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 30,354
Originally posted by Niners99:
Stratton wont even sniff the Majors until 2015. I get what they were trying to say, but "sleeper" wasnt the right term. I think anytime a player is taken 20th overall its a given that theyll end up becoming a top 100 prospect soon.

Given the Giants track record of drafting pitchers early, and developing them properly, id give Chris Stratton a very good chance to be a regular in the Giants rotation for years to come.

Good thing we can't predict the future, we'll have to wait and see.

Anybody heard anything about this Mac Williamson dude?
[ Edited by Garcia on Mar 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Garcia:
Good thing we can't predict the future, we'll have to wait and see.

Anybody heard anything about this Mac Williamson dude?

http://www.digtriad.com/sports/article/231170/13/Wakes-Mac-Williamson--Tim-Cooney-Picked-In-3rd-Round-of-MLB-Draft

"After coming to Wake Forest as the number one pitching prospect in North Carolina, Williamson shifted gears and became the best power hitter in the ACC. The Wake Forest, N.C., native led the ACC with 17 homers upon the end of the Deacs' 2012 season and ended his career with 36 homers in 159 games. Williamson also recorded career-highs of 52 RBIs, 42 runs scored, a .287 average and a .596 slugging percentage this season. Spending time at all three outfield positions during his three years at Wake Forest, Williamson collected 12 career outfield assists and committed just one error this season."

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=willia028joh

Listed at 6-4, 240.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 30,354
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
http://www.digtriad.com/sports/article/231170/13/Wakes-Mac-Williamson--Tim-Cooney-Picked-In-3rd-Round-of-MLB-Draft

"After coming to Wake Forest as the number one pitching prospect in North Carolina, Williamson shifted gears and became the best power hitter in the ACC. The Wake Forest, N.C., native led the ACC with 17 homers upon the end of the Deacs' 2012 season and ended his career with 36 homers in 159 games. Williamson also recorded career-highs of 52 RBIs, 42 runs scored, a .287 average and a .596 slugging percentage this season. Spending time at all three outfield positions during his three years at Wake Forest, Williamson collected 12 career outfield assists and committed just one error this season."

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=willia028joh

Listed at 6-4, 240.

he's a potential 5 tool player too. Which would be amazing. 2015 here we come. I think he's a corner outfielder.
Belt had 4 hits today, Panda went yard.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 30,354
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Belt had 4 hits today, Panda went yard.

Belt gonna have a break through year. We need him.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Belt had 4 hits today, Panda went yard.

Belt gonna have a break through year. We need him.

If belt breaks through I'll really like our offense and if we can somehow get something from lf then I'll really love our offense
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 30,354
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
If belt breaks through I'll really like our offense and if we can somehow get something from lf then I'll really love our offense

this could be a solidifying year for young players like Crawford and Belt....
Originally posted by Garcia:
he's a potential 5 tool player too. Which would be amazing. 2015 here we come. I think he's a corner outfielder.

We need outfield help BAD.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
http://www.digtriad.com/sports/article/231170/13/Wakes-Mac-Williamson--Tim-Cooney-Picked-In-3rd-Round-of-MLB-Draft

"After coming to Wake Forest as the number one pitching prospect in North Carolina, Williamson shifted gears and became the best power hitter in the ACC. The Wake Forest, N.C., native led the ACC with 17 homers upon the end of the Deacs' 2012 season and ended his career with 36 homers in 159 games. Williamson also recorded career-highs of 52 RBIs, 42 runs scored, a .287 average and a .596 slugging percentage this season. Spending time at all three outfield positions during his three years at Wake Forest, Williamson collected 12 career outfield assists and committed just one error this season."

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=willia028joh

Listed at 6-4, 240.

he's a potential 5 tool player too. Which would be amazing. 2015 here we come. I think he's a corner outfielder.

He's a big kid who can destroy the ball, hopefully he pans out. Also keep an eye out for Shilo McCall who was drafted in the 9th round who will also probably play OF in Augusta this year.
Brock Bond has more homeruns (2) in 8 at bats this spring than he did in all of 2012 (1 in 377 at bats). Dude is scrappy and versatile. Would love to see him make the team as the second utility infielder.

Peguero has had some awesome at bats this spring as well. Thoughts on him making the team over Torres and using him against lefties?
Originally posted by redrathman:
Brock Bond has more homeruns (2) in 8 at bats this spring than he did in all of 2012 (1 in 377 at bats). Dude is scrappy and versatile. Would love to see him make the team as the second utility infielder.

Peguero has had some awesome at bats this spring as well. Thoughts on him making the team over Torres and using him against lefties?

Posey, Sanchez, Belt, Scutaro, Arias, Crawford, Sandoval, Blanco, Pagan, Pence

Cain, Lincecum, Bumgarner, Vogelsong, Zito, Romo, Lopez, Casilla, Affeldt, Mijares, Kontos

Those are the pretty much guaranteed 21 spots. We probably carry a 12th pitcher like Ramirez, and I think Pill and Torres make it. That leaves 1 spot open. Its probably Peguero, but one of the prospects or invitees could take it with a big March.

I dont see any way Torres doesnt make the team if healthy. Were weak enough at OF depth as it is.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com
...