LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 156 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Im ready for some Giants Baseball....although im not a regular here during the season, partly because im in the East...but Im here repping hard in the Post Season as you all know! Lets get to work!
Originally posted by AC49er:
Anyone else excited for the WBC?

Not me. Just hope the Giants participating don't get hurt.
Originally posted by dcsham:

This I think it's a waste considering the US won't win

I would have preferred that no Giants were in it. I really dont like Vogey pitching in it.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Melky getting a WS ring...

Fred Lewis got a ring in '10.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I would have preferred that no Giants were in it. I really dont like Vogey pitching in it.

Pretty much like pitching a spring training game, right?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Not really. A spring training game means nothing and pitchers can kind of go at the speed they need to get into shape. This is different and the fear would be that a pitcher could go too hard too fast. I doubt Vogey will get hurt but I would still prefer that he wasnt in it.
I dont like it either. WBC is awesome, just would rather it be Giantless
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Melky getting a WS ring...

Fred Lewis got a ring in '10.

He knows not to wear it. They shouldve just gave him the cash equivalent, because hes going to sell it anyways. A ring doesnt mean anything if you werent there.

He should just be glad he went to a team we arent playing this season. The pre-game "as soon as hes in town" ceremony for players no longer with the team wouldve been so awkward...

Not really. A spring training game means nothing and pitchers can kind of go at the speed they need to get into shape. This is different and the fear would be that a pitcher could go too hard too fast. I doubt Vogey will get hurt but I would still prefer that he wasnt in it.

Im surprised the Giants didnt tell him to pass. Our rotation depth sucks, and hes coming off by far the most innings in his career for one season (214.1 ip). Plus hes not getting any younger.

Like 2010, 2012 was a very healthy season for the starting staff. I believe we were the only rotation in baseball to have all 5 guys take every turn. We bumped Lincecum back once, but nobody missed their turn in the rotation. Thats very rare. Youre definitely pushing it by allowing Vogelsong to throw those extra innings. Especially after not signing any rotation depth guys.

so is carl pavano gonna pitch again this year? whens he gonna be healthy? why not take a flyer on him? we need the depth.
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
so is carl pavano gonna pitch again this year? whens he gonna be healthy? why not take a flyer on him? we need the depth.

or bring back Penny?

"We know we have to get these guys ready, and that's our plan," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "We won't let them go if we don't think they're ready, particularly the pitchers. "They'll be in good hands, where they're going. We'll get with the coaches and give them our thoughts at what we're looking at and how much they should be pitched. They've got stipulations in the WBC to protect these players, which is a good thing," Bochy added.

If Boch isn't worried about it, neither am I.

"We know we have to get these guys ready, and that's our plan," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "We won't let them go if we don't think they're ready, particularly the pitchers. "They'll be in good hands, where they're going. We'll get with the coaches and give them our thoughts at what we're looking at and how much they should be pitched. They've got stipulations in the WBC to protect these players, which is a good thing," Bochy added.

Whats he supposed to say? Obviously youd rather a key member of your rotation not throw extra innings after a career high IP season. Especially when you dont have any depth.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Whats he supposed to say? Obviously youd rather a key member of your rotation not throw extra innings after a career high IP season. Especially when you dont have any depth.

He said what he wanted to say. If Vogey isn't ready than he's not letting him pitch in the WBC. But if he's ready by then, it's not a big deal.
Share 49ersWebzone