There are 205 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by dcsham:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Early nominee for longest post of the year. Didn't read.

Let me put it simple for you.... the Giants farm system was ranked near the bottom in all of baseball.

That's better. And that bothers you why? We see these rankings all of the time saying how bad we are, and yet we've won two of the last three world series.

We won two of the last three WS because of our farm systems of the past. Our farm system right now is depleted, and will begin to have its effects on the team if they dont find a way to re-stock.

We had a good cycle of top young pitchers coming up, but trading Wheeler kind of broke the bridge to Stratton. Cain-Lincecum-Bumgarner-Wheeler-Stratton wouldve been the ideal progression. Wheeler wouldve been getting ready to come up to the bigs in the 2013-2014 range. Its going to be a while until Stratton, or even Crick is ready to be a mainstay in the rotation.

I kind of worry about our pitching rotation going forward. Unless Lincecum has a mediocre season this year, hes going to be too expensive for the Giants to bring back. Zito had a nice last hoorah in 2012, and it helped win a title. However, hes at the end of the line here. Vogelsong is getting old as well, and hes kind of on a year-to-year performance basis. We dont really have any idea what he'll do as he gets older, since he already came out of nowhere as a late bloomer.

Hopefully Crick and Kickham are the real deal, because Stratton and Blackburn arent going to be ready for a few more years.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Early nominee for longest post of the year. Didn't read.

Let me put it simple for you.... the Giants farm system was ranked near the bottom in all of baseball.

That's better. And that bothers you why? We see these rankings all of the time saying how bad we are, and yet we've won two of the last three world series.

We won two of the last three WS because of our farm systems of the past. Our farm system right now is depleted, and will begin to have its effects on the team if they dont find a way to re-stock.

We had a good cycle of top young pitchers coming up, but trading Wheeler kind of broke the bridge to Stratton. Cain-Lincecum-Bumgarner-Wheeler-Stratton wouldve been the ideal progression. Wheeler wouldve been getting ready to come up to the bigs in the 2013-2014 range. Its going to be a while until Stratton, or even Crick is ready to be a mainstay in the rotation.

I kind of worry about our pitching rotation going forward. Unless Lincecum has a mediocre season this year, hes going to be too expensive for the Giants to bring back. Zito had a nice last hoorah in 2012, and it helped win a title. However, hes at the end of the line here. Vogelsong is getting old as well, and hes kind of on a year-to-year performance basis. We dont really have any idea what he'll do as he gets older, since he already came out of nowhere as a late bloomer.

Hopefully Crick and Kickham are the real deal, because Stratton and Blackburn arent going to be ready for a few more years.

When was the last time any of the so called "experts" ranked our farm system in the top 10?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
oh yea, ramon Ramirez!!!

great move. see ya bweeze.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
even if Zack Wheeler
ATTENTION:

Very shortly I will be updating this thread from 2012 to 2013 Defending Champions. I would like for you guys to PM me some cool pics from last season, or those awesome gifs or funny gifs from last season.

Thanks
Rubs
and DC, the farm system sucks. You cannot continue to win if your talent level is not there, or if you have nothing to use in potential trades. It really isnt that hard to understand.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
and DC, the farm system sucks. You cannot continue to win if your talent level is not there, or if you have nothing to use in potential trades. It really isnt that hard to understand.

Trade Timmy.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not out of the realm of possibility:

2014 projected starting rotation
Matt Cain
Madison Bumgarner
Ryan Vogelsong (club option)
Mike Kickham
Veteran free agent

2015 projected starting rotation
Matt Cain
Madison Bumgarner
Kyle Crick
Mike Kickham
Chris Stratton of Clayton Blackburn

do you think kickham would be ready by then?

I think they specifically moved him along quickly so he would be. He'll spend this season in AAA and might even see some time in the majors if all goes well. Now, I'm not saying Kickham will be an all-star by 2014, but I'd bet good money he'll be in the rotation by then.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM ]
teh lord zito will rise again

and

retain his ace status this season
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
I too think Teh Lord will rise and have a good season. He's got to feel totally comfortable now after really contributing to us winning the WS. I really think he will do well this season.

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
teh lord zito will rise again

and

retain his ace status this season

That would be crazy if he just goes off for a Cy Young.

THIS. DC. We all love the fact that our Giants have won 2 of the last 3 years. Guess what? We want that to continue and the way to do that is to draft and develop young talent. The Giants are one of the worst teams around when it comes to developing young hitters. If that doesnt change then it will be very tough to remain on top.
ATTENTION:

Very shortly I will be updating this thread from 2012 to 2013 Defending Champions. I would like for you guys to PM me some cool pics from last season, or those awesome gifs or funny gifs from last season.

Thanks
Rubs

• MuggD
  • Veteran
ATTENTION:

Thanks
Rubs

Just put the enlarged pics of the Rings in it.
Originally posted by Muggins:
ATTENTION:

Thanks

Rubs

Just put the enlarged pics of the Rings in it.

Just pM me the f**king gifs muggins before I pm you a picture of my a*****e!
Share 49ersWebzone