LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
But we make up for it in World Championships.

Very true. Does not not change the fact we could use more bats.
Vazquez, Javier - what about him? Long reliever? Not great, but could be cheap.
MLB's top 10 pitching rotations per Buster Olney:

1. Detroit Tigers
2. Washington Nationals
3. Los Angeles Dodgers
4. Philadelphia Phillies
5. Cincinnati Reds
6. Tampa Bay Rays
7. Toronto Blue Jays
8. Atlanta Braves
9. San Francisco Giants
10. Oakland Athletics

Once again the Giants get disrespected by ESPN here. im not saying their the best in baseball, but 9th?? If Lincecum bounces back, they could end up number 1. In fact, if there was ever a time to OVERrate the SF rotation, it would be now, not underrate it. Their 2 crappiest guys are fresh off dominant postseasons. Apparently 2 years of top tier pitching from Vogelsong still isnt enough to prove hes more than a fluke? Anyways, theyre still top 5, especially considering most of the good rotations are front loaded now. SF is one of the very few teams who can send a solid pitcher to the mound every night.

Dodgers at 3 because of 2 guys? Beckett BLOWS. Ryu is a total question mark, and Capuano is no sure thing either.

I brushed up and looked through all the rotations again, and there is no way SF is 9th with the proven ability and depth they have from 1 through 5. Olney is high. If hed rather take Grandpa Hudson, Kris Medlen, Paul Maholm, Mike Minor, and out for half the season Brandon Beachy over the Giants 5, he can be my guest.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 1, 2013 at 3:57 AM ]
Meh,

Our pitching wasn't that great last season. Timmy struggled, bum did some times, and vogey had a terrible month down the stretch.
The Giants are 13th in overall rankings by ESPN. Some ESPN writers continues to be butt hurt over the Giants winning it all, again.
guys it not like we breezed through the playoffs, we barely beat the reds and Zito/Cain carried us through pitching wise
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
guys it not like we breezed through the playoffs, we barely beat the reds and Zito/Cain carried us through pitching wise

We breezed through the World Series
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

We breezed through the World Series

Yeah didn't we win like 11 of our last 14 games or something?
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Vazquez, Javier - what about him? Long reliever? Not great, but could be cheap.

1) He retired
2) He would only play on East Coast if he did come back
3) He would only be a starter
4) He wouldnt be cheap

Other than that.. good idea.
Originally posted by Niners99:
MLB's top 10 pitching rotations per Buster Olney:

1. Detroit Tigers
2. Washington Nationals
3. Los Angeles Dodgers
4. Philadelphia Phillies
5. Cincinnati Reds
6. Tampa Bay Rays
7. Toronto Blue Jays
8. Atlanta Braves
9. San Francisco Giants
10. Oakland Athletics

Once again the Giants get disrespected by ESPN here. im not saying their the best in baseball, but 9th?? If Lincecum bounces back, they could end up number 1. In fact, if there was ever a time to OVERrate the SF rotation, it would be now, not underrate it. Their 2 crappiest guys are fresh off dominant postseasons. Apparently 2 years of top tier pitching from Vogelsong still isnt enough to prove hes more than a fluke? Anyways, theyre still top 5, especially considering most of the good rotations are front loaded now. SF is one of the very few teams who can send a solid pitcher to the mound every night.

Dodgers at 3 because of 2 guys? Beckett BLOWS. Ryu is a total question mark, and Capuano is no sure thing either.

I brushed up and looked through all the rotations again, and there is no way SF is 9th with the proven ability and depth they have from 1 through 5. Olney is high. If hed rather take Grandpa Hudson, Kris Medlen, Paul Maholm, Mike Minor, and out for half the season Brandon Beachy over the Giants 5, he can be my guest.

I would probably put them around 6th. The Dodgers would have to be lower until Ryu can prove himself.

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Meh,

Our pitching wasn't that great last season. Timmy struggled, bum did some times, and vogey had a terrible month down the stretch.

Our pitching was great in the 1st half... average in the 2nd half. Timmy brought us down a few notches for sure.. worst starter in baseball.

Our offense really carried this team down the stretch
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
1) He retired
4) He wouldnt be cheap

Has had an up and career. Apparently, not a feasible option.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/javier-vazquez-may-return-wants-to-join-contender.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Jan 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM ]
1) He retired
4) He wouldnt be cheap

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/javier-vazquez-may-return-wants-to-join-contender.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29

The chances of him signing with the Giants are so remote it isnt even worth considering. The Giants do not have a starting spot open (and he wont sign to be a long reliever) and SF is way too far from his family which has always been a priority for him. I would think a team like Philly would make the most sense IF he did come back which I highly doubt.
1) He retired
4) He wouldnt be cheap

The chances of him signing with the Giants are so remote it isnt even worth considering. The Giants do not have a starting spot open (and he wont sign to be a long reliever) and SF is way too far from his family which has always been a priority for him. I would think a team like Philly would make the most sense IF he did come back which I highly doubt.

The x-factor nobody has mentioned is that he sucks. Hes old and crappy, thus the Giants wont sign him regardless.
Originally posted by Niners99:
1) He retired
4) He wouldnt be cheap

The x-factor nobody has mentioned is that he sucks. Hes old and crappy, thus the Giants wont sign him regardless.

The thing about that is............ he had an amazing 2nd half of the season in 2011 and was one of the best pitchers in baseball and then retired. He had a whip of 0.86 to lead both leagues and struck out 96 batters in 96 innings. It was just so odd that he left the game after one of his best stretches ever.
Share 49ersWebzone