There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
IMO, the only way the Casilla deal makes sense is if they see him as THEE closer. Romo did a great job down the stretch, but isn't really built for the wear and tear of a closer role, and the bullpen by committee thing was brought on by necessity more than anything. So this looks like a commitment to Casilla (albeit a slightly risky one) to be our closer for the next 3-4 years....from that perspective, it's not a bad deal money-wise.

But yes, if he's a just a set-up a guy, I don't see the wisdom in that contract at all.

People keep saying that.

Why? Because hes skinny?

He seemed fine down the stretch and was used quite a bit.

His stuff (which overall, is pretty average with the exception of that slider) tends to flatten out and become more hittable with consistent use, especially over the course of a 6 month season. I'm not saying Romo can't do it for a full season plus playoffs, I really don't know that...I just like him better against right handers late in games as opposed to a full-time closer for an entire year.

Romo's filthy slider that is thrown for a strike almost 100% of the time >>> Casilla's 95-97mph fastball with control issues.

Casilla just cant be trusted as anything more than a fill in closer. If Romo doesnt work out, Casilla is merely a place holder until we find one.

The Giants just like retaining players that they know, and are safe. they lock them up over market value to eliminate the risk of a free agent, and theres nothing wrong with that, but i take issue with the 3 years for a guy i already dont really trust. If we were going to spend money on an aging RP, i wouldve rather retained Wilson.

For what it's worth I wasn't comparing Romo to Casilla...clearly that slider is one of the more unhittable best pitches in the game today. I was talking about stamina and what it does to Romo's stuff, which is one of the reasons he wasn't the immediate choice to replace Wilson when he went down. But hey, I hope Romo is the guy....whether he is for the entire season remains to be seen.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Krukow was on KNBR this morning and basically echoed your sentiment. Reason being I think is because a typical closer usually has more natural strength, like Wilson, unlike Romo.

The question is can Romo go potentially 4 times a week for entire season. I would hope he could, but I doubt it.

with our bullpen I don't think he needs to.

Casilla, Affeldt, Romo, and Lopez are all capable of closing out games.
Give Romo the ball most of the time and when he needs to rest - rest him. They are more than capable of doing that.

Hopefully Hembree comes up and adds some depth.

I could see that happening.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
IMO, the only way the Casilla deal makes sense is if they see him as THEE closer. Romo did a great job down the stretch, but isn't really built for the wear and tear of a closer role, and the bullpen by committee thing was brought on by necessity more than anything. So this looks like a commitment to Casilla (albeit a slightly risky one) to be our closer for the next 3-4 years....from that perspective, it's not a bad deal money-wise.

But yes, if he's a just a set-up a guy, I don't see the wisdom in that contract at all.

People keep saying that.

Why? Because hes skinny?

He seemed fine down the stretch and was used quite a bit.

His stuff (which overall, is pretty average with the exception of that slider) tends to flatten out and become more hittable with consistent use, especially over the course of a 6 month season. I'm not saying Romo can't do it for a full season plus playoffs, I really don't know that...I just like him better against right handers late in games as opposed to a full-time closer for an entire year.

Romo's filthy slider that is thrown for a strike almost 100% of the time >>> Casilla's 95-97mph fastball with control issues.

Casilla just cant be trusted as anything more than a fill in closer. If Romo doesnt work out, Casilla is merely a place holder until we find one.

The Giants just like retaining players that they know, and are safe. they lock them up over market value to eliminate the risk of a free agent, and theres nothing wrong with that, but i take issue with the 3 years for a guy i already dont really trust. If we were going to spend money on an aging RP, i wouldve rather retained Wilson.
Not me. I would much prefer Casiila over Wilson at this point. Better stuff and not the injury concern. I really wanted no part of BW to tell you the truth. I just think 2 years plus an option would have been right for Casilla. Sabean once again has to give in and throw in that extra year.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,013
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Not me. I would much prefer Casiila over Wilson at this point. Better stuff and not the injury concern. I really wanted no part of BW to tell you the truth. I just think 2 years plus an option would have been right for Casilla. Sabean once again has to give in and throw in that extra year.

He's earned it, IMO.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Not me. I would much prefer Casiila over Wilson at this point. Better stuff and not the injury concern. I really wanted no part of BW to tell you the truth. I just think 2 years plus an option would have been right for Casilla. Sabean once again has to give in and throw in that extra year.

I agree with you that Casilla is better option than Wilson. What do you mean Sabean has to give in? If Casilla said no to a 2+ an option, would you have been willing to say ok good luck see you later and then risk losing him to another team that probably would give him 3 if you were the Giants GM? Not me...I don't think a 3 year deal is out of whack at all. Let's face it, the bullpen as structured last year is going to be a HUGE part of this team in 2013. One of our strengths was the top to bottom quality of the pitching staff, so I'm not willing just to say we could throw anyone in Casilla's spot and have the results be the same. Bottom line is this...Casilla throws smoke, he is versatile, and he has a rubber arm. I like how he fits into the structure of the bullpen and I don't think that his $$ amount is out of line at all.
[ Edited by dcsham on Dec 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM ]
Krukow also mentioned BW is upset because he's not getting paid despite what he did in 2010. I understand this stance from a player, but as a GM you can't give in to that logic.

See Aubrey Huff.

Hopefully Scutaro and Pagan's deals turn out better.

I can't say I'm confident in Wilson, and I'm not sure Sabean is either.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,013
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Krukow also mentioned BW is upset because he's not getting paid despite what he did in 2010. I understand this stance from a player, but as a GM you can't give in to that logic.

See Aubrey Huff.

Hopefully Scutaro and Pagan's deals turn out better.

I can't say I'm confident in Wilson, and I'm not sure Sabean is either.

I agree.
You a mod now?
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Krukow also mentioned BW is upset because he's not getting paid despite what he did in 2010. I understand this stance from a player, but as a GM you can't give in to that logic.

See Aubrey Huff.

Hopefully Scutaro and Pagan's deals turn out better.

I can't say I'm confident in Wilson, and I'm not sure Sabean is either.

I agree.
You a mod now?

Yes sir. They busted out the bottom of the barrel and hit dirt.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,013
timmy cut his hair.


Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Yes sir. They busted out the bottom of the barrel and hit dirt.

did they ask you or did you volunteer?
Originally posted by dcsham:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Not me. I would much prefer Casiila over Wilson at this point. Better stuff and not the injury concern. I really wanted no part of BW to tell you the truth. I just think 2 years plus an option would have been right for Casilla. Sabean once again has to give in and throw in that extra year.

I agree with you that Casilla is better option than Wilson. What do you mean Sabean has to give in? If Casilla said no to a 2+ an option, would you have been willing to say ok good luck see you later and then risk losing him to another team that probably would give him 3 if you were the Giants GM? Not me...I don't think a 3 year deal is out of whack at all. Let's face it, the bullpen as structured last year is going to be a HUGE part of this team in 2013. One of our strengths was the top to bottom quality of the pitching staff, so I'm not willing just to say we could throw anyone in Casilla's spot and have the results be the same. Bottom line is this...Casilla throws smoke, he is versatile, and he has a rubber arm. I like how he fits into the structure of the bullpen and I don't think that his $$ amount is out of line at all.

I like him too but I dont think I would have given him 3 years and a vesting option for a 4th.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Krukow also mentioned BW is upset because he's not getting paid despite what he did in 2010. I understand this stance from a player, but as a GM you can't give in to that logic.

See Aubrey Huff.

Hopefully Scutaro and Pagan's deals turn out better.

I can't say I'm confident in Wilson, and I'm not sure Sabean is either.

I dont think any team is which is why BW isnt going to get that much of a contract. 2 TJ surgeries is not easy to overcome and be as good as ever
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Krukow also mentioned BW is upset because he's not getting paid despite what he did in 2010. I understand this stance from a player, but as a GM you can't give in to that logic.

See Aubrey Huff.

Hopefully Scutaro and Pagan's deals turn out better.

I can't say I'm confident in Wilson, and I'm not sure Sabean is either.

I dont think any team is which is why BW isnt going to get that much of a contract. 2 TJ surgeries is not easy to overcome and be as good as ever

Agreed. Pretty cut and dry if you ask me. I'm not saying don't resign him, but the club has to be protected. This isn't the NFL.
Originally posted by Garcia:
timmy cut his hair.


Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Yes sir. They busted out the bottom of the barrel and hit dirt.

did they ask you or did you volunteer?

go to the 'ask the mods' thread for the answer to that question.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Agreed. Pretty cut and dry if you ask me. I'm not saying don't resign him, but the club has to be protected. This isn't the NFL.

I don't expect BW back, and he's not going to get big time money this year from any team. He will never close for the Giants again, and not likely any other MLB team.
[ Edited by dcsham on Dec 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by Garcia:
timmy cut his hair.


Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Yes sir. They busted out the bottom of the barrel and hit dirt.

did they ask you or did you volunteer?

go to the 'ask the mods' thread for the answer to that question.

Just make sure you take care of the really good Giants posters. As for Wilson, the Giants only have 1 spot really left for their pitching roster. I would just move on from Wilson and go with what we have now.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com