There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,573
Cody Ross
Do not want.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by dcsham:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Niners99:
I want to know why the Giants have made no mention of bringing Cody Ross back. they tried to get him back midseason last year, and hed be a cheap upgrade to our LF situation.

All depends on what he wants, but at least look into it. He had a nice year last season.

Sounded like Ross wanted a pretty big deal. I was surprised that Boston didnt resign him given that he really is perfect for Fenway.
Ross is wanting at least 3 years and wanted 25 million but you got to figure he wants more now after seeing these deals that Pagan and Victorino got.

That would be a ridiculous amount of money for Cody Ross. I can't believe he will get anywhere close to that.

What he wants, and what he'll end up taking are 2 very different things. I wonder how many times his agent has said "were looking for 3/25" and then heard a loud click and a dial tone.

I think 2 years for 12 -13 Million is about right for Cody. Boston gave Gomes 2/10 and Ross would get a bit more than that. Not TOO much more though.

I would definitely take him for that.
Dont think this was posted yet, but here is an ESPN senior writers early top 10 for the 2013 season. And this is what he had to say about the Giants:

Yes ... I've left the defending World Series champs off my top 10. The Giants have elected to stand pat, which is what they did from 2010 to 2011 (bringing back Aubrey Huff and Cody Ross, for example), and that team missed the playoffs. Certainly, Buster Posey's injury that year didn't help, but right now the Giants are counting on Angel Pagan and Marco Scutaro to repeat their 2012 magic, Posey to play at an MVP level again and the offense to score enough runs without Melky Cabrera. I could be underrating the Giants -- especially if Tim Lincecum bounces back -- but the Giants overachieved a bit a year ago, and I predict a rougher ride in 2013.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/31521/power-rankings-nationals-reds-1-2


I am not saying I agree with him that we shouldnt be considered a top 10 team. The article just sort of echoes the point I was trying to make recently.....that we didnt do anything to really improve our team.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Dont think this was posted yet, but here is an ESPN senior writers early top 10 for the 2013 season. And this is what he had to say about the Giants:

Yes ... I've left the defending World Series champs off my top 10. The Giants have elected to stand pat, which is what they did from 2010 to 2011 (bringing back Aubrey Huff and Cody Ross, for example), and that team missed the playoffs. Certainly, Buster Posey's injury that year didn't help, but right now the Giants are counting on Angel Pagan and Marco Scutaro to repeat their 2012 magic, Posey to play at an MVP level again and the offense to score enough runs without Melky Cabrera. I could be underrating the Giants -- especially if Tim Lincecum bounces back -- but the Giants overachieved a bit a year ago, and I predict a rougher ride in 2013.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/31521/power-rankings-nationals-reds-1-2

I am not saying I agree with him that we shouldnt be considered a top 10 team. The article just sort of echoes the point I was trying to make recently.....that we didnt do anything to really improve our team.

I dont think Giants are top 3 lets say but not in top 10? LOL. A's 6th and Giants nowhere to be found. I have a hard time buying that.
i think i mentioned cody a while back

back up plan if we couldnt get stanton
To me, the real key will be, "what Timmy shows up" in the first month of the season. Good Timmy, the guy who looked unhittable in relief last year or bad Timmy, the guy who couldn't make it out of the 4th inning in most starts. With essentially the same lineup, better RF production, a better 2nd baseman, more experience at SS and 1st, virtually the same pen and all the same starters back, #55 is definitely the wild card for 2013.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I dont think Giants are top 3 lets say but not in top 10? LOL. A's 6th and Giants nowhere to be found. I have a hard time buying that.

Agreed. I know the A's have good young talent, but I dont buy them being a top 10 team in 2013.
While I dont agree with the Giants being out of the top 10 that ESPN writer does pose some good points as to why he has the Giants out of the list.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/31543/why-i-didnt-rank-the-giants-in-my-top-10
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,573
lol @ "Hunter Pence Overrated"
although that may be true.... how bout a little more than just that statement?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
While I dont agree with the Giants being out of the top 10 that ESPN writer does pose some good points as to why he has the Giants out of the list.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/31543/why-i-didnt-rank-the-giants-in-my-top-10

He makes excellent points. This is why I have been harping on the fact that we should be making moves to improve this team, and we havent. Whats that line that Harbaugh always says? If you arent getting better you are getting.....hows that go again?
Originally posted by Garcia:
lol @ "Hunter Pence Overrated"
although that may be true.... how bout a little more than just that statement?

I think that sums it up pretty well. LOL. Maybe he should have said.. if you are counting on Hunter Pence to be in a 3-4-5 hitter in your lineup you better get some amazing damn pitching.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Cody Ross
Do not want.

I love Cody for 2010, but I don't want him back for anything close to the money he's seeking. I think we paid him $6 million for 2011. Too much.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Garcia:
lol @ "Hunter Pence Overrated"
although that may be true.... how bout a little more than just that statement?

I think that sums it up pretty well. LOL. Maybe he should have said.. if you are counting on Hunter Pence to be in a 3-4-5 hitter in your lineup you better get some amazing damn pitching.

lulz

if pence was on the phillies people would call him under-rated and the forgotten bat

ESPN does not like the giants, could have swore there was an article on espn saying that a giants WS win is bad for baseball. A's are getting love because of a damn movie.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,573
Originally posted by ads_2006:
lulz

if pence was on the phillies people would call him under-rated and the forgotten bat

ESPN does not like the giants, could have swore there was an article on espn saying that a giants WS win is bad for baseball. A's are getting love because of a damn movie.

Rob Neyer or whatever in 2010 said the Giants were essentially lucky to win it. Then he quit and went to sbnation I think.
[ Edited by Garcia on Dec 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Garcia:
lol @ "Hunter Pence Overrated"
although that may be true.... how bout a little more than just that statement?

I think that sums it up pretty well. LOL. Maybe he should have said.. if you are counting on Hunter Pence to be in a 3-4-5 hitter in your lineup you better get some amazing damn pitching.
Lol...I seem to remember you telling me that Pence was better than Beltran back when we traded Wheeler. In fact, I think both you and 99 said (after the trade) that if we were going to trade Wheeler, Pence would have been the better choice.

That's not to say you favored trading Wheeler for either one (which I know you didn't), but your opinion of Pence seems to have changed drastically based on the short time he's been with us.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com