LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by Niners99:

Another 3 year deal for a RP...

solid investment i think...

RP can go from great to garbage year to year. Locking yourself into 2 RP for 3 years each was a mistake. You dont want to lock yourself into those kinds of players. I can see how a top tier closer would command 3 years due to the competitive market, but guys like Affeldt and Casilla, (both over age 32) shouldnt be given that many years.
Casilla was solid early and then lost the closer role. I think they could have re-signed Ramon Ramirez for a lot cheaper.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Casilla was solid early and then lost the closer role. I think they could have re-signed Ramon Ramirez for a lot cheaper.

Sure they could have signed Ramirez for a lot less but he is not nearly as good as Casilla. Casilla is a pretty important member of this team.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SoCal9er:

Sure they could have signed Ramirez for a lot less but he is not nearly as good as Casilla. Casilla is a pretty important member of this team.

Definitely. Just a little surprised we were quick to extend him.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Another 3 year deal for a RP...

solid investment i think...

RP can go from great to garbage year to year. Locking yourself into 2 RP for 3 years each was a mistake. You dont want to lock yourself into those kinds of players. I can see how a top tier closer would command 3 years due to the competitive market, but guys like Affeldt and Casilla, (both over age 32) shouldnt be given that many years.

I agree but I'm a bit torn, especially since the way this team is built. Maybe a little bit too much $$$ and too many years, but he's a good bullpen arm and worth the risk in my opinion.
We are going to have win a lot of low scoring games, the way the team is built. Belt are you in your backyard, practising your swing? Same goes for Pence and Crawford.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Cody Ross
Do not want.

Ross is asking waaay to much for what he brings to the table. Can't blame him for trying. Maybe the Dodgers will offer 3 years at 24 or something as ridiculous.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Pence will hit .280 with 24 HRs and 90 RBIs next year.

He's trash. LOL I kid I kid. . That is just reserved for the NBA Western Conference Player of the Week.

Jeremy Lin was the Easter Conference Player of the Week sometime last year. Hes pretty good too right?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Cody Ross
Do not want.

Ross is asking waaay to much for what he brings to the table. Can't blame him for trying. Maybe the Dodgers will offer 3 years at 24 or something as ridiculous.

hes perfect for fenway... stay there.

as far as casillas..... He struggled a bit in the closer role after awhile... but once he was back in his normal role toward the end of the year and the playoffs... dude was pitching really well
So the Casilla deal is 2 years plus a club option, right? I can live with that.

Check it...it's 3 years and a club option for a fourth. No likey
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Dec 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM ]

• Garce
  • Veteran
I don't understand why people hate Casillas.

Did you guys see him in the playoffs?
Dealing Absolute Filth
I don't understand why people hate Casillas.

Did you guys see him in the playoffs?
Dealing Absolute Filth

Its not hate, its just not wanting to give a 32 year old RP with poor control and declining velocity a guaranteed salary for 3 more years. Its a bad baseball move. You should never hand out RP deals over 2 years at most. When its a really good closer, you make an exception.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Its not hate, its just not wanting to give a 32 year old RP with poor control and declining velocity a guaranteed salary for 3 more years. Its a bad baseball move. You should never hand out RP deals over 2 years at most. When its a really good closer, you make an exception.

Well hes been an integral part of a bullpen with 2 world series championships... can't say I blame Sabean for trying to keep it's 2nd best asset together.

I would rather have 3 years of Casillas then a revolving door of random guys who you don't know if you can trust.

Well hes been an integral part of a bullpen with 2 world series championships... can't say I blame Sabean for trying to keep it's 2nd best asset together.

I would rather have 3 years of Casillas then a revolving door of random guys who you don't know if you can trust.

Lol, 99 does this every offseason. Giants don't do anything right...no need to argue with him. Just sit back and enjoy.
Originally posted by dcsham:

Lol, 99 does this every offseason. Giants don't do anything right...no need to argue with him. Just sit back and enjoy.

Its not about me, its about common sense. If you think signing two 32+ year old non closer RP to 3 year deals is a smart move, i dont know what to tell you.
Share 49ersWebzone