LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 147 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Id do Lincecum for Trumbo, but even then were probably better off with the contract year Lincecum will give us.

Mark Trumbo is overrated. Ive maintained this opinion from day 1. Hes going to hit under .270, hes going to struggle to go above a .320 OB%, and playing half his games at AT&T, hed hit under 30 HR. He had this lucky BABIP 1st half, and he crashed and burned in the 2nd half.

Considering the chance that Lincecum has a bounce back year in anticipation of his big f/a offseason, and the fact that we really dont have a replacement ready, its probably not a wise move anyways.

I do agree with adding some power though. The Giants dont have anyone who is just a power threat. Someone like Paul Goldschmidt, who could hit one out at any time.

You have changed your mind on Goldschmidt then? I remember you being very skeptical about him.

I was? Either way, im not calling him anything he wasnt from the start, which is a pure power threat. Ive always considered him Russell Branyan at very worst, which is just a 450+ foot HR threat when he runs into one. We need a guy that can come off the bench and park one in the bleachers at any time. We seem to be lacking that hitter opposing pitchers fear facing in a close game.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Id do Lincecum for Trumbo, but even then were probably better off with the contract year Lincecum will give us.

Mark Trumbo is overrated. Ive maintained this opinion from day 1. Hes going to hit under .270, hes going to struggle to go above a .320 OB%, and playing half his games at AT&T, hed hit under 30 HR. He had this lucky BABIP 1st half, and he crashed and burned in the 2nd half.

Considering the chance that Lincecum has a bounce back year in anticipation of his big f/a offseason, and the fact that we really dont have a replacement ready, its probably not a wise move anyways.

I do agree with adding some power though. The Giants dont have anyone who is just a power threat. Someone like Paul Goldschmidt, who could hit one out at any time.

Trumbo is clutch as s**t. He carried the Angels before Trout and when Pujols was struggling.
Dude has power and can hit it out anywhere.

Would trade Timmy for Trumbo any day.
Originally posted by Garcia:

Trumbo is clutch as s**t. He carried the Angels before Trout and when Pujols was struggling.

The only way you would get Trumbo would be to trade top pitching prospects. Giving up Trumbo for Lincecum on his last year of his contract would be stupid for the Angels.

The only way you would get Trumbo would be to trade top pitching prospects. Giving up Trumbo for Lincecum on his last year of his contract would be stupid for the Angels.

Giving an old, injury prone OF with off-field issues 5/125 with a no trade clause is stupid, so who knows, they might go for it.

lol "clutch" is such a myth. It suggests that a player isnt giving his 100% effort unless the game is on the line. Otherwise he would be "clutch" all the time. There are players who are good at not letting the magnitude of the moment cause them to choke, but clutch isnt a real skill. His BABIP in the first half was through the roof, which is why he looked so good. It wasnt sustainable, and the odds caught up with him. Balls werent falling in for hits nearly as much, and his .330 avg/.390 OB dropped back down close to his normal averages.

lol "clutch" is such a myth. It suggests that a player isnt giving his 100% effort unless the game is on the line. Otherwise he would be "clutch" all the time. There are players who are good at not letting the magnitude of the moment cause them to choke, but clutch isnt a real skill. His BABIP in the first half was through the roof, which is why he looked so good. It wasnt sustainable, and the odds caught up with him. Balls werent falling in for hits nearly as much, and his .330 avg/.390 OB dropped back down close to his normal averages.

I agree that Trumbo isnt great. He would just be a huge upgrade in LF.

I agree that Trumbo isnt great. He would just be a huge upgrade in LF.

Obviously hed upgrade us at LF, but i wouldnt trade any top prospects or anything.
  • Dapro
  • Veteran
I think the off season moves are done for the Giants. I don't see them doing anything other then sign couple minor leaguers here and there.
I want to know why the Giants have made no mention of bringing Cody Ross back. they tried to get him back midseason last year, and hed be a cheap upgrade to our LF situation.

All depends on what he wants, but at least look into it. He had a nice year last season.
I want to know why the Giants have made no mention of bringing Cody Ross back. they tried to get him back midseason last year, and hed be a cheap upgrade to our LF situation.

All depends on what he wants, but at least look into it. He had a nice year last season.

Too funny. I came in here to post just that. Why not Cody Ross for LF?

Sounded like Ross wanted a pretty big deal. I was surprised that Boston didnt resign him given that he really is perfect for Fenway.

Sounded like Ross wanted a pretty big deal. I was surprised that Boston didnt resign him given that he really is perfect for Fenway.
Ross is wanting at least 3 years and wanted 25 million but you got to figure he wants more now after seeing these deals that Pagan and Victorino got.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

Ross is wanting at least 3 years and wanted 25 million but you got to figure he wants more now after seeing these deals that Pagan and Victorino got.

No chance I would give Cody Ross that kind of cash.

That would be a ridiculous amount of money for Cody Ross. I can't believe he will get anywhere close to that.
Originally posted by dcsham:

That would be a ridiculous amount of money for Cody Ross. I can't believe he will get anywhere close to that.

What he wants, and what he'll end up taking are 2 very different things. I wonder how many times his agent has said "were looking for 3/25" and then heard a loud click and a dial tone.
Share 49ersWebzone