There are 182 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

I approve of the trade for Trumbo idea. God that would be amazing. Also probably a pipe dream...but damn he would make our lineup much better!
We need a power surge. I understand that defence and pitching are the mainstays of a winning team, but it would be like totally awesome if we had a LF who could put fear into opposing pitchers. We can't continue to nickel and dime our way to victories.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
We need a power surge. I understand that defence and pitching are the mainstays of a winning team, but it would be like totally awesome if we had a LF who could put fear into opposing pitchers. We can't continue to nickel and dime our way to victories.

I think a healthy year from Panda and a more experienced Belt could add some serious pop to the lineup.
Belt reminds of the eternal budding star, On the cusp, but just can't reach for the gusto. A terrific player in AAA, but has trouble hitting major league pitching. We need the dude to come up with the goods. Pablo needs to drop at least 50 pounds and I not talking about about picking up and dropping a 50 pound bag of frozen tacos from a Taco Bell warehouse.
Looks like the Giants are going to give Ryan Sadowski another shot. He'll be coming back after 3 seasons with Korea's Lotte Giants. There's always hope that they'll strike gold like they did when bringing back Vogelsong.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=455961#sectionType=career&statType=2&season=2012&gameType=%27R%27&level=%27ALL%27
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Looks like the Giants are going to give Ryan Sadowski another shot. He'll be coming back after 3 seasons with Korea's Lotte Giants. There's always hope that they'll strike gold like they did when bringing back Vogelsong.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=455961#sectionType=career&statType=2&season=2012&gameType=%27R%27&level=%27ALL%27

Marvelous.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Belt reminds of the eternal budding star, On the cusp, but just can't reach for the gusto. A terrific player in AAA, but has trouble hitting major league pitching. We need the dude to come up with the goods. Pablo needs to drop at least 50 pounds and I not talking about about picking up and dropping a 50 pound bag of frozen tacos from a Taco Bell warehouse.

Belt hit .275 and was really hot down the stretch (not so much in the playoffs, until game 4 of WS )

I think he was hitting well over .330 in the last 2 months of the year.
Bochy was definitely yo-yoing him from the line up, although I didn't necessarily agree with that, he wasnt doing much with his opportunities in the 1st half.

But I think going into camp he knows he's the starter and hes going to get most of the playing time, now all he has to do is go out and play some ball. I expect a solid sophomore campaign.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SoCal9er:

Marvelous.

Ryan Vogelsong v2.0?

Be patient. Hes still a kid. Hes played 3 years of pro baseball. Like ive said many times before, most players are still in AA at best after their 3rd pro season.

He was good enough to master the minor leagues in just his first ever season, and he really didnt get consistent playing time until last season. Hes making great strides. His defense is already gold glove caliber, and he has the batting eye + power ability combo to be a special player with a little more time.
I wish Soriano wasnt such a dick and would play in San Francisco. I read a report that the Cubs would pay 26 of the 36 million dollars remaining for him if they could get a prospect. Paying 10 million for 2 years would be a sweet deal.

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I approve of the trade for Trumbo idea. God that would be amazing. Also probably a pipe dream...but damn he would make our lineup much better!

Id do Lincecum for Trumbo, but even then were probably better off with the contract year Lincecum will give us.

Mark Trumbo is overrated. Ive maintained this opinion from day 1. Hes going to hit under .270, hes going to struggle to go above a .320 OB%, and playing half his games at AT&T, hed hit under 30 HR. He had this lucky BABIP 1st half, and he crashed and burned in the 2nd half.

Considering the chance that Lincecum has a bounce back year in anticipation of his big f/a offseason, and the fact that we really dont have a replacement ready, its probably not a wise move anyways.

I do agree with adding some power though. The Giants dont have anyone who is just a power threat. Someone like Paul Goldschmidt, who could hit one out at any time.
I wish Soriano wasnt such a dick and would play in San Francisco. I read a report that the Cubs would pay 26 of the 36 million dollars remaining for him if they could get a prospect. Paying 10 million for 2 years would be a sweet deal.

Yeah that really came back to bite him in the ass last year by refusing a trade to us. Could have won a World Series.

He had his chance in 2007, AND in 2012. Maybe more times we dont know about, and he shot us down every time. Couldve had a ring in 2010 and 2012, but he lost out. I dont blame him for not wanting to pay CA taxes, but he just seems to have something against us.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-san-francisco-giants/giants-sign-gaudin-minor-league-contract

Right-hander Chad Gaudin has found a home with the ninth team in his 10-year MLB career, as the San Francisco Giants signed the reliever Friday.

Gaudin, who played for the Miami Marlins last season, was 4-2 with a 4.54 ERA after appearing in 46 games in 2012.

The 29-year-old has had two stints in the Bay Area, both with the Oakland Athletics from 2006-2008 and during the 2010 season.

According to Janie McCauley of the Associated Press, the minor-league deal will likely include an invite to spring training.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Id do Lincecum for Trumbo, but even then were probably better off with the contract year Lincecum will give us.

Mark Trumbo is overrated. Ive maintained this opinion from day 1. Hes going to hit under .270, hes going to struggle to go above a .320 OB%, and playing half his games at AT&T, hed hit under 30 HR. He had this lucky BABIP 1st half, and he crashed and burned in the 2nd half.

Considering the chance that Lincecum has a bounce back year in anticipation of his big f/a offseason, and the fact that we really dont have a replacement ready, its probably not a wise move anyways.

I do agree with adding some power though. The Giants dont have anyone who is just a power threat. Someone like Paul Goldschmidt, who could hit one out at any time.

You have changed your mind on Goldschmidt then? I remember you being very skeptical about him.
Share 49ersWebzone