There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Blanco and Torres are the best we can do in LF???? On paper, at least, we have a severe power shortage from that position.

For what it's worth, I expect Brandon Belt will be starting in LF in games where Posey will play 1B and Hector Sanchez will Catch. If Brown has a good first two-three months in Fresno, I expect him to be called up in mid-season.

The way service time works, Brown has to spend at least three weeks in Fresno this year otherwise he would be eligible for FA after 2018 rather than 2019.

With the Torres signing I'm not that thrilled about it. At the same time, it's only a one year 2M (won't exactly cripple the franchise), it does give us more depth at the OF position.
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM ]
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Blanco and Torres are the best we can do in LF???? On paper, at least, we have a severe power shortage from that position.

For what it's worth, I expect Brandon Belt will be starting in LF in games where Posey will play 1B and Hector Sanchez will Catch. If Brown has a good first two-three months in Fresno, I expect him to be called up in mid-season.

The way service time works, Brown has to spend at least three weeks in Fresno this year otherwise he would be eligible for FA after 2018 rather than 2019.

With the Torres signing I'm not that thrilled about it. At the same time, it's only a one year 2M (won't exactly cripple the franchise), it does give us more depth at the OF position.

He isnt worth 2M.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
He isnt worth 2M.

I agree he is worth at most a one year 1M rather than a 1 year 2M, I guess I have seen much worse over pays than this, I also expect the Giants will take a long look at Peguero as a platoon player, there is a good chance Giants call Brown in Mid-Season, and I believe Belt will get a hand full of starts in LF as well.

I'm neutral on this signing. I'm not overally excited about the signing. At the same time, I won't be bashing it like other members are. It does give us more depth in the OF position at least in the first half of the season. We all know Sabean is perfectly capable of trading for an OF at the trading deadline if need be.
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
He isnt worth 2M.

I agree he is worth at most a one year 1M rather than a 1 year 2M, I guess I have seen much worse over pays than this, I also expect the Giants will take a long look at Peguero as a platoon player, there is a good chance Giants call Brown in Mid-Season, and I believe Belt will get a hand full of starts in LF as well.

I'm neutral on this signing. I'm not overally excited about the signing. At the same time, I won't be bashing it like other members are. It does give us more depth in the OF position at least in the first half of the season. We all know Sabean is perfectly capable of trading for an OF at the trading deadline if need be.

I agree with you 100%.
i trust boch/sabes.. i'm sure they're not done yet
Yup I'm expecting little to nothing at the plate by the stupid platooning of blanco and Torres. Lets give up the little prospects we have mid season once again to trade for an outfielder after we've gotten nothing by them 2 come the trade deadline absolutely hate the fact how money is no issue for some teams and yet 2 World Series in 3 yrs and non stop sell outs and we can't even sign a decent outfielder
Here is some data from Baggs

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/andrew-baggarly/giants-andres-torres-agree-one-year-deal

A switch hitter, Torres would be suited to form the right-handed portion of a platoon with Blanco. He hit .286 with a .382 on-base percentage against left-handed pitchers last season with the Mets. (He hit .195 against right-handers.)
Aww sh*t really?!?!?!?! That's it ?!?!?! With all the noise the Douchers are making this offseason, i thought for sure Sabes would bring in someone(not top tier talent) with some consistent pop for LF. Guess with all the uncertainty of how all the Douchers talent will translate on the field, Sabes can wait till the Deadline before bringing in a Big Bat. Welcome back Torres!
[ Edited by Bleed49ers4Life on Dec 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM ]
Originally posted by Bleed49ers4Life:
Aww sh*t really?!?!?!?! That's it ?!?!?! With all the noise the Douchers are making this offseason, i thought for sure Sabes would bring in someone(not top tier talent) with some consistent pop for LF. Guess with all the uncertainty of how all the Douchers talent will translate on the field, Sabes can wait till the Deadline before bringing in a Big Bat. Welcome back Torres!

I knew there was zero chance of getting a big bat for LF. I was just hoping for more than Andres Torres. I just wish our payroll was about 10M dollars higher. I think 4/40 might have gotten Swisher here.
i thought they wouild've traded Gary Brown for a LF.
Originally posted by Bleed49ers4Life:

I knew there was zero chance of getting a big bat for LF. I was just hoping for more than Andres Torres. I just wish our payroll was about 10M dollars higher. I think 4/40 might have gotten Swisher here.

I was kind of hoping for Swisher, but knew with the amount of teams persuing him, Sabean wasnt going to win that bidding war.

And 2 mil. is way too much for Torres. Did they really have to outbid someone for Andres Torres, or is this another one of Sabeans "thank you" contracts for all he did for the team in 2010...

The cliche is there are no bad 1 year deals, but this could easily be 2 mil down the toilet.
Originally posted by Niners99:
I was kind of hoping for Swisher, but knew with the amount of teams persuing him, Sabean wasnt going to win that bidding war.

And 2 mil. is way too much for Torres. Did they really have to outbid someone for Andres Torres, or is this another one of Sabeans "thank you" contracts for all he did for the team in 2010...

The cliche is there are no bad 1 year deals, but this could easily be 2 mil down the toilet.

Exactly. Sabean called Torres and said he forgot to thank him for 2010, and wanted to make sure he did it now.
Originally posted by dcsham:

Exactly. Sabean called Torres and said he forgot to thank him for 2010, and wanted to make sure he did it now.

You give a sarcastic response, but what is your reasoning behind this? You think someone really offered Torres 1.8 mil and we had to top it? No. Is he worth 2 mil? No.

I will agree that when it comes to trading, Sabean is very good, save a couple of really bad deals. But when it comes to negotiating the market, and spending f/a money, hes very bad. Sabean doesnt sign/negotiate contracts well at all, and its not really something you can defend. Ill give Sabean his due when its deserved, but hes never made an outside f/a signing that had the rest of baseball going "great signing, thats a nice deal".
trophy will be at my work tomorrow =)
You give a sarcastic response, but what is your reasoning behind this? You think someone really offered Torres 1.8 mil and we had to top it? No. Is he worth 2 mil? No.

I will agree that when it comes to trading, Sabean is very good, save a couple of really bad deals. But when it comes to negotiating the market, and spending f/a money, hes very bad. Sabean doesnt sign/negotiate contracts well at all, and its not really something you can defend. Ill give Sabean his due when its deserved, but hes never made an outside f/a signing that had the rest of baseball going "great signing, thats a nice deal".

Have to agree here. I seriously doubt that anyone was going to give Andres Torres anything more than 1M. Injury prone, career minor leaguer for the most part, with just 1 good year does not make for a lot of interest.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com