LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Holy crap. You guys are going off the deep end here. Settle down. LOL

Regarding Andres Torres... it is OK to have an opinion regarding someone who has had ONE good year ever. My opinion is that he is barely worth a roster spot let alone a 2M dollar deal. Maybe he will work out and I really hope he does. I just HATE going into the season thinking that our LF spot will be Blanco and Torres with an occasional Belt. That is a horrible situation .

DC.. I disagree with Sabean when it comes to his results in FA and in his results in drafting hitters. I think he has VERY poor results in those areas. He has made good deals though and I have said now a hundred times in here that I give him all the credit in the world for the titles that the Giants won.

Respectable points, John. Dont forget.....David Lee is trash
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Aaaaand as soon as we shut down the idea of other free agents, Grant Brisbee is reporting that the Giants have offered Ichiro a 2/$15M contract. LOL

I think he resigns with the Yanks, but I thought this was funny.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS ichiro had 2 outside offers for more $, but he told the #yankees he wants to be a yankee. so he agreed to stay a nyy.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Aaaaand as soon as we shut down the idea of other free agents, Grant Brisbee is reporting that the Giants have offered Ichiro a 2/$15M contract. LOL

I think he resigns with the Yanks, but I thought this was funny.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS ichiro had 2 outside offers for more $, but he told the #yankees he wants to be a yankee. so he agreed to stay a nyy.

In all likeliness, he will resign in NY. I just thought it was interesting that we apparently put out this offer. That means there IS more money to spend. In that case, why not Swisher?

Regarding Andres Torres... it is OK to have an opinion regarding someone who has had ONE good year ever. My opinion is that he is barely worth a roster spot let alone a 2M dollar deal. Maybe he will work out and I really hope he does. I just HATE going into the season thinking that our LF spot will be Blanco and Torres with an occasional Belt. That is a horrible situation .

DC.. I disagree with Sabean when it comes to his results in FA and in his results in drafting hitters. I think he has VERY poor results in those areas. He has made good deals though and I have said now a hundred times in here that I give him all the credit in the world for the titles that the Giants won.

It would at least be nice to take a look at his left/righty splits last year as a New York Met before being very critical.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=400083#gameType=%27R%27&sectionType=splitsCareer&statType=1&season=2012&level=%27ALL%27

When batting right handed against left handed pitchers, Andres Torres batted .286 with a .382 on base percentage

Don't forget Gary Brown may be ready by mid season as well, Belt of course will see some starts in LF as well. Torres by no means is a great signing. Torres in my opinion still has the ability to positively contribute to a big league ball club as a 4th/5th OF who gets some starts off Left Handed Starting Pitchers and as a right handed pinch hitter off the bench. This is why I believe the amount of criticism headed Sabean's way is blown way out of proportion, especially on a 1 year/ 2M deal.
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Dec 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
It would at least be nice to take a look at his left/righty splits last year as a New York Met before being very critical.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=400083#gameType=%27R%27&sectionType=splitsCareer&statType=1&season=2012&level=%27ALL%27

When batting right handed against left handed pitchers, Andres Torres batted .286 with a .382 on base percentage

Don't forget Gary Brown may be ready by mid season as well, Belt of course will see some starts in LF as well. Torres by no means is a great signing. Torres in my opinion still has the ability to positively contribute to a big league ball club as a 4th/5th OF who gets some starts off Left Handed Starting Pitchers and as a right handed pinch hitter off the bench. This is why I believe the amount of criticism headed Sabean's way is blown way out of proportion, especially on a 1 year/ 2M deal.

I think Torres in a platoon role is a great option.

Like I said, He has great defense... hes fast and can steal bases and a PH late in games and as DReplacement.
He can also hit for power on occasion. It's like having two poor man's Angel Pagans in LF LOL! jkjk

But I think its a good, low risk signing. No pressure will be on Torres and I think he could bounce back and be productive.
[ Edited by Garcia on Dec 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM ]

If Torres replicates what he did in New York last year, Torres will be able to positively help the Giants next year as long as Bochy utilizes him as a 4th/5th OF who only starts against Left Handers, could be a valuable right handed pinch hitter off the bench.

Don't forget Gary Brown may be ready by mid season as well, Belt of course will see some starts in LF as well. Torres by no means is a great signing. Torres in my opinion still has the ability to positively contribute to a big league ball club as a 4th/5th OF who gets some starts off Left Handed Starting Pitchers and as a right handed pinch hitter off the bench. This why I believe the amount of criticism headed Sabean way is blown way out of proportion, especially on a 1 year/ 2M deal.

Dave, at BEST Torres should be a 5th OF making 1M. LOL at anything being WAY out of proportion. I dont remember anyone going nuts on this. Some of us just dont think Andres Torres is worth 2M per year and that the LF spot is still not a great situation
Dave, at BEST Torres should be a 5th OF making 1M. LOL at anything being WAY out of proportion. I dont remember anyone going nuts on this. Some of us just dont think Andres Torres is worth 2M per year and that the LF spot is still not a great situation

I believe Sabean did over pay a little for Torres but at the same time I do believe he can positively contribute to the 2013 Giants in a bench role position. At the same time I realize a one year 2M deal will not cripple this franchise short or long term.
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Dec 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I believe Sabean did over pay a little for Torres but at the same time I do believe he can positively contribute to the 2013 Giants in a bench role position. At the same time I realize a one year 2M deal will not cripple this franchise short or long term.

this.

John, I know you are always willing to give Sabean SOME credit, usually after the fact lol. At least you don't say he just hits it lucky with players off of the scrap heap.

And I agree that LF is not strong, but let's wait and see how it plays out. I don't think it will be necessary to "weaken the farm system to defend our title". Look for Sabean and Bochy to make the right moves once the season starts, whether that means a waiver wire pickup or perhaps a trade. Doubtful there will be any blockbuster moves either way, and I still like our lineup when you look at Buster being fully healed, Belt being more mature, Sandoval with no more bones to break in his hand, and having the Scutaro/Crawford combo all year. Not to mention Pagan and Pence.
I think our team will ultimately be fine without upgrading LF. We will still be right there at the top of the NL when its all said and done. Its just hard to see us sign the Andres Torreses of the world when competition is making real moves to improve their team. I hope Torres returns to his 2010 form, but its hard to chalk up that season as anything other than an aberration. He's a good dude though. Hope it works out for him and us. Just not counting on it.

If Torres' contract is a Thank you from Sabean, at least it didn't approach the magnitude of Aubrey Huff's last contract.
I think our team will ultimately be fine without upgrading LF. We will still be right there at the top of the NL when its all said and done. Its just hard to see us sign the Andres Torreses of the world when competition is making real moves to improve their team. I hope Torres returns to his 2010 form, but its hard to chalk up that season as anything other than an aberration. He's a good dude though. Hope it works out for him and us. Just not counting on it.

We won't get much power from LF, but dayum will we be able to run down baseballs or what?
  • Dapro
  • Veteran
We get scrubs while other team get star. haha its the giants way i guess.
Originally posted by Dapro:
We get scrubs while other team get star. haha its the giants way i guess.

Yup, our scrubs won us 2 of the last three. That's the Giants way.
Originally posted by dcsham:
John, I know you are always willing to give Sabean SOME credit, usually after the fact lol. At least you don't say he just hits it lucky with players off of the scrap heap.

And I agree that LF is not strong, but let's wait and see how it plays out. I don't think it will be necessary to "weaken the farm system to defend our title". Look for Sabean and Bochy to make the right moves once the season starts, whether that means a waiver wire pickup or perhaps a trade. Doubtful there will be any blockbuster moves either way, and I still like our lineup when you look at Buster being fully healed, Belt being more mature, Sandoval with no more bones to break in his hand, and having the Scutaro/Crawford combo all year. Not to mention Pagan and Pence.

You're right DC. I have never been for that. You might remember that I called Sabean an idiot at the time for doing just that in 2011 and giving up our best prospect. I dont want to give up the farm system unless it was for a young,stud who we controlled for a few years ( such as Stanton)
Share 49ersWebzone