There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
New prospect list:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/san-francisco-giants-top-15-prospects-2012-13/

awesome!

I can't wait for spring training!

I think Hembree has a great shot at making the roster. Crick and Blackburn are still super young.

I bet either Gary Brown or Peguero make the roster to platoon the LF with Blanco, barring we dont sign someone.

Pretty exciting to read about the top pitching prospects, if they could get MLB ready by end of 2014 early 2015, this would be fantastic news. For the next couple drafts, if you ask me, I think the Giants should primarly focus on drafting pitchers and OF's. I do think the Giants should look at giving Sandoval an extension at some point, it looks like Crawford and Belt will be decent Major Leaguers, I think Panik could take over 2B a couple years from now and obviously we are set for a long time at the Catcher position.
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
New prospect list:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/san-francisco-giants-top-15-prospects-2012-13/

awesome!

I can't wait for spring training!

I think Hembree has a great shot at making the roster. Crick and Blackburn are still super young.

I bet either Gary Brown or Peguero make the roster to platoon the LF with Blanco, barring we dont sign someone.

Pretty exciting to read about the top pitching prospects, if they could get MLB ready by end of 2014 early 2015, this would be fantastic news. For the next couple drafts, if you ask me, I think the Giants should primarly focus on drafting pitchers and OF's. I do think the Giants should look at giving Sandoval an extension at some point, it looks like Crawford and Belt will be decent Major Leaguers, I think Panik could take over 2B a couple years from now and obviously we are set for a long time at the Catcher position.

I thought Sandoval signed an extension before the start of last year.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
New prospect list:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/san-francisco-giants-top-15-prospects-2012-13/

awesome!

I can't wait for spring training!

I think Hembree has a great shot at making the roster. Crick and Blackburn are still super young.

I bet either Gary Brown or Peguero make the roster to platoon the LF with Blanco, barring we dont sign someone.

Pretty exciting to read about the top pitching prospects, if they could get MLB ready by end of 2014 early 2015, this would be fantastic news. For the next couple drafts, if you ask me, I think the Giants should primarly focus on drafting pitchers and OF's. I do think the Giants should look at giving Sandoval an extension at some point, it looks like Crawford and Belt will be decent Major Leaguers, I think Panik could take over 2B a couple years from now and obviously we are set for a long time at the Catcher position.

I thought Sandoval signed an extension before the start of last year.

He is signed through 2014. I think Dave meant a longer term deal that would take him through 2017 or so.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
New prospect list:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/san-francisco-giants-top-15-prospects-2012-13/

awesome!

I can't wait for spring training!

I think Hembree has a great shot at making the roster. Crick and Blackburn are still super young.

I bet either Gary Brown or Peguero make the roster to platoon the LF with Blanco, barring we dont sign someone.

Pretty exciting to read about the top pitching prospects, if they could get MLB ready by end of 2014 early 2015, this would be fantastic news. For the next couple drafts, if you ask me, I think the Giants should primarly focus on drafting pitchers and OF's. I do think the Giants should look at giving Sandoval an extension at some point, it looks like Crawford and Belt will be decent Major Leaguers, I think Panik could take over 2B a couple years from now and obviously we are set for a long time at the Catcher position.

I thought Sandoval signed an extension before the start of last year.

Sandoval is signed through 2014. It's a tough one because it would be nice to have another year to determine whether or not to give Sandoval an extention beyond 2014, If you wait when he is one year away, then the Giants would be pressured to give in and give him a LA Dodgers type contract. My view is if he is decent shape this spring it maybe easier to negotiate an extension this up coming spring which would take him through age 32 and have two team option years covering ages 33 and 34 on a more team friendly deal.
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Dec 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
He is signed through 2014. I think Dave meant a longer term deal that would take him through 2017 or so.

That's what I am precisely talking about. Sandoval would hit the FA market at age 28. What I was thinking was a four year contract extension which takes him through 2018 with two team options covering 2019 and 2020 seasons should Sandoval still be a productive player in 2018.

My view is if you do it this spring, we could get a more team friendly deal. Should he have a big season next year and be one year away from Free Agency, there would more pressure to give him more guaranteed years at more money per year and guarantee this type money on the age 33 + decline years.
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Dec 11, 2012 at 3:05 PM ]
Panda's contract situation indeed will be interesting. Hopefully we lock him up long term.
[ Edited by SFrush on Dec 11, 2012 at 3:08 PM ]
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 30,515
Originally posted by SFrush:
Panda's contract situation indeed will be interesting. Hopefully we lock him up long term.

Hopefully Sandoval gets back into 2011 form and we as a team are actually winning. If he does definitely extend him long term.
[ Edited by Garcia on Dec 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Panda's contract situation indeed will be interesting. Hopefully we lock him up long term.

Hopefully Sandoval gets back into 2011 form and we as a team are actually winning. If he does definitely extend him long term.

One thing that the Giants have been good about is keeping their group of core players together. I think that they will do something with Sandoval to keep him here.
Originally posted by dcsham:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Panda's contract situation indeed will be interesting. Hopefully we lock him up long term.

Hopefully Sandoval gets back into 2011 form and we as a team are actually winning. If he does definitely extend him long term.

One thing that the Giants have been good about is keeping their group of core players together. I think that they will do something with Sandoval to keep him here.

True but I am sure that his condition (or lack there of) would scare them a bit when thinking about a long term big money deal.
  • Dapro
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 640
so far, pretty boring off season with other teams making moves to improve their teams while the Giants just retain what they got.
Originally posted by Dapro:
so far, pretty boring off season with other teams making moves to improve their teams while the Giants just retain what they got.

well, considering we're World Champs I can live with it.

I would like to see something done about LF though.
Dodgers just traded for Skip Schumaker
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Dodgers just traded for Skip Schumaker

The Dbacks giving up Bauer for a light hitting SS is even more funny to me.
Man, winning WS's just makes you itch that much MORE for baseball.

I seriously am missing baseball so much right now and it's barely been a month.

I cannot wait for pitchers and catchers to report!
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Dodgers just traded for Skip Schumaker

Maybe I should take the Dodgers more seriously after all
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Dec 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM ]
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com