There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Dave, if the Dodgers get a 6 billion dollar TV deal and dont care how much they spend then it doesnt matter to them if certain players have bad contracts and dont perform at the back end of deals. Bottom line is this... when you have that much money to spend it allows you to make mistakes and have busts to a certain extent. Other teams that have normal payrolls cant afford those kind of huge errors.

I hope you are right and that the Dodgers wont end up scaring anyone. I just dont see that as the case.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Dave, if the Dodgers get a 6 billion dollar TV deal and dont care how much they spend then it doesnt matter to them if certain players have bad contracts and dont perform at the back end of deals. Bottom line is this... when you have that much money to spend it allows you to make mistakes and have busts to a certain extent. Other teams that have normal payrolls cant afford those kind of huge errors.

I hope you are right and that the Dodgers wont end up scaring anyone. I just dont see that as the case.

The thing is the Dodgers don't have a strong farm system. Thanks to now international spending limits in Latin America and to the Player draft spending limits, the Dodgers will not be able to outspend their opponents in terms of getting a hold of young prospect players in the future. In order to get a big superstar player the Dodgers will need to surrender good prospects.

There is no question the Dodgers will be able to spend more than anyone else on the open market, sure they can take on salary dump trades in terms of player no longer living up to their contracts but this doesn't mean they will be an automatic World Series contender.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
The thing is the Dodgers don't have a strong farm system. Thanks to now international spending limits in Latin America and to the Player draft spending limits, the Dodgers will not be able to outspend their opponents in terms of getting a hold of young prospect players in the future. In order to get a big superstar player the Dodgers will need to surrender good prospects.

There is no question the Dodgers will be able to spend more than anyone else on the open market, sure they can take on salary dump trades in terms of player no longer living up to their contracts but this doesn't mean they will be an automatic World Series contender.

Dodgers are going to be tough next year.

That lineup.
Good bullpen.
Revamped Rotation.

They will be tough.

Hopefully they crumble under the pressure like the Detroit Tigers did in '07.
Originally posted by Garcia:

That lineup.
Good bullpen.
Revamped Rotation.

They will be tough.

I still like the Giants much more, next season will definitely be interesting to watch but until I see the results on the field, I'm still viewing the Dodgers as an overrated team.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
I still like the Giants much more, next season will definitely be interesting to watch but until I see the results on the field, I'm still viewing the Dodgers as an overrated team.

It depends on a couple things.

1. What will this Ryu kid do?
2. Health and Performance of Carl Crawford?
-Even when he was healthy for the Sox, he was dreadful.
3. How good will Kershaw be coming back from Injury?

If we have a healthy and effective Tim Lincecum... I'd say we most definitely can fair pretty well.

I'd like to see us sign a vet LF and see if they can have the upside ala Huff in 2010.

Nick Swisher would be amazing if we can swing that.

That lineup.
Good bullpen.
Revamped Rotation.

They will be tough.

Overrated perhaps. Dangerous.. absolutley.
Garcia I certainly agree that at the very least the Giants need to sign a platoon right handed OF to go with Gregor Blanco.
New prospect list:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/san-francisco-giants-top-15-prospects-2012-13/
On paper the Dodgers have a much better roster than we do, and it's probably not even that close. Thankfully, the game isn't played on paper.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
New prospect list:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/san-francisco-giants-top-15-prospects-2012-13/

awesome!

I can't wait for spring training!

I think Hembree has a great shot at making the roster. Crick and Blackburn are still super young.

I bet either Gary Brown or Peguero make the roster to platoon the LF with Blanco, barring we dont sign someone.
New prospect list:

awesome!

I think Hembree has a great shot at making the roster. Crick and Blackburn are still super young.

I bet either Gary Brown or Peguero make the roster to platoon the LF with Blanco, barring we dont sign someone.

Brown isnt going to be ready. He took a step backwards last year after joining AA. Theres no way hes ready for major league playing time by April.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Brown isnt going to be ready. He took a step backwards last year after joining AA. Theres no way hes ready for major league playing time by April.

I should have put this in my previous post:

both would have to tear it up in spring and impress.
New prospect list:

awesome!

To be more precise, Brown will likely not be ready and his step backwards last year was primarily in the first half (he had a strong second half). There's a very slim chance he'll be ready for major league playing time by April, but anything is possible.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
To be more precise, Brown will likely not be ready and his step backwards last year was primarily in the first half (he had a strong second half). There's a very slim chance he'll be ready for major league playing time by April, but anything is possible.

If he goes on a tear he will maybe... I am curious about Peguero though. Spring Training get here already.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
New prospect list:

awesome!

Also had a decent AFL, not really super worried about him. He'll come up at some point in the next couple of years and Pagan will move to a corner spot.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com