LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 158 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Giants....Yankees...Blue Jays...Rangers

LOL Whiteside
Originally posted by Niners99:
I wish they would bring back the 01-02 black alternate home jerseys...Those looked awesome. imo theyre better than the Orange unis.

100% agree. Unfortunately, Orange Fridays are a huge deal with our marketing team so I dont see that changing anytime soon.

Love these black jerseys. Loved this hat too:

(sorry about the pic. Didnt want to spend time searching for a better one. But that Mets hat is kinda cool too.)
I should mention I had a $25 coupon on top of the 30% deal. Unfortunately, they had a black friday sale for a couple days that had all jerseys at 40% off, so you missed that one.

Authentics are well worth the extra money if you choose wisely. I only buy authentic MLB jerseys. the replicas are awful imo. I have a Bonds black alt. from 2001, Lincecum home 50 year patch, Cain road alt. from last year, Posey road 2010, and now Posey home. I should be set for a while.

I wish they would bring back the 01-02 black alternate home jerseys...Those looked awesome. imo theyre better than the Orange unis.

I kinda like the home alternate orange jerseys...but these are pretty cool too.
Can someone with insider post this article:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/law_keith/id/8731031/signings-zack-greinke-hyun-jin-ryu-make-los-angeles-dodgers-clear-nl-west-favorite-mlb
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Can someone with insider post this article:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/law_keith/id/8731031/signings-zack-greinke-hyun-jin-ryu-make-los-angeles-dodgers-clear-nl-west-favorite-mlb

"The Los Angeles Dodgers' spending spree, which may only be interrupted by the heat death of the universe, continued in huge fashion this weekend with their reported agreement with free-agent starter Zack Greinke and signing of Korean lefty Hyun-jin Ryu, whom they had won negotiating rights to via the posting system. Greinke gives them one of the best nominal No. 2 starters in the game, an ace in most rotations, while Ryu will join the back of the team's rotation but could eventually end up in the 'pen.

Greinke was the top free-agent starter available this offseason and his reported six-year, $147 million contract -- now the highest ever for a right-hander -- was probably driven up by three other factors. One, the Dodgers are operating their own currency system independent of the U.S. Treasury, inspired no doubt by my great-great-great-uncle John. Two, Greinke was far and away the best starter available in free agency this year, the only one with even the potential to post a 6-WAR season. If you wanted an ace, it was Greinke or bust, with the next group of arms all looking more like good mid-rotation guys. Three, perhaps most importantly of all, baseball teams are swimming in cash, with no place else to put it but into the major league roster.

The current CBA curtailed spending on amateur talent even as the value of that talent has been increasing. If you can't put all this extra cash into the Rule 4 draft or into Latin America, you're going to put it into improving your big league club -- unless you own the Miami Marlins, in which case you're going to put it in your pockets.

I have never bought into the argument that Greinke's history with social anxiety disorder and depression makes him a poor fit for a large market -- there's a joke to be made here about the number of therapists in L.A. -- and I'm glad to see that the Dodgers don't buy it, either. Greinke is capable of pitching at a high level in any market, and he's an unusually good bet to stay healthy because his delivery is low effort and he tends to pace himself during games, preserving his best stuff for higher-leverage situations. No starting pitcher is likely to outperform the contract Greinke just got, but he's got a better chance than most to make it look good in the end, just as Mike Mussina did for the New York Yankees on his seven-year deal.

I've received widely varying reports on Ryu's potential here in MLB, ranging from reliever to future No. 3 starter. I fall more into the former camp based on video I've seen and the specifics of his scouting report; he's a bad-bodied left-hander with an out-pitch changeup, average to above-average fastball and fringy breaking ball. The Dodgers gave him a six-year, $36 million deal after paying a $25.7 million posting fee.

The pair of signings gives the Dodgers a surplus in their rotation, even assuming Chad Billingsley bows to fate and has elbow surgery and that Ted Lilly isn't healthy, either. Aaron Harang and Chris Capuano aren't league-average pitchers but could be above replacement level for someone on what is for each a de facto one-year deal. The Dodgers don't have to worry about money, apparently, so they could agree to pay those pitchers' full salaries and get a prospect or a fringy big leaguer in return.

The Dodgers have the best team on paper in the division at this point, not just due to their offseason but due to the potential to have Matt Kemp fully healthy for the first time since April. The San Francisco Giants have moved to bring back the same team that won the World Series in 2012, but haven't upgraded the roster anywhere, with very little upside from their lineup at this point and no Melky Cabrera in left.

Although it's anathema to the way GM Brian Sabean has run this club, it might make sense for the Giants to look at dealing Madison Bumgarner, who looked fatigued late in the season, for a young bat. Bumgarner has five years of team control left at $35 million in total salary, with two club options beyond that."
  • Garce
  • Veteran
If we trade Bumgarner I will kick the s**t out of a kitten.

Is it me, or was Zack Greinke only pretty good last year and nothing fantastic?

2012 3.5 ERA
2011 3.8
2010 4.1
2009 2.1

It looks like he had one spectacular year, which looking at his career stats seems like an outlier ... the rest of the years he is right around 3.5-4 ERA range.

I don't think he's really all that an a bag a chips and the Dodgers are damn fools for making him the highest paid RH in the game.

I'd take Verlander, Cain, or even Wainwright over this doot.
Madison Baumgartner, no relation to Felix, is not going anywhere.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

100% agree. Unfortunately, Orange Fridays are a huge deal with our marketing team so I dont see that changing anytime soon.

Love these black jerseys. Loved this hat too:

(sorry about the pic. Didnt want to spend time searching for a better one. But that Mets hat is kinda cool too.)

I have that exact hat. Its the hat i wear most often actually. I had it back in 02, but i wore it out. Ecapcity special ordered more for a limited time a year or 2 ago, and i jumped on it.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Dec 13, 2012 at 5:11 AM ]
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS andres torres is back w/ the #SFGiants on 1 yr deal, as @CSNBaggs & @hankschulman reported

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS torres & blanco will split LF for #SFGiants. so SF no longer in play for nick swisher.
[ Edited by WookieOftheYear on Dec 13, 2012 at 7:44 AM ]
wow

welcome back, Torres. Kinda hoped we'd get Swisher but I knew he wanted to get paid.
Andres Torres again? Seriously? I still believe 2010 was a fluke season.
why sabean why. this guy is always injured
Originally posted by stunder49:
why sabean why. this guy is always injured

another low-risk signing. If he can contribute off the bench or platooning, awesome. If not, no harm done. We already know he is a great clubhouse guy.
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
another low-risk signing. If he can contribute off the bench or platooning, awesome. If not, no harm done. We already know he is a great clubhouse guy.

His non hitting abiltity was frustrating to watch in 2011.
Share 49ersWebzone