There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Unless he is full on retard, I'm sure Sabean at least inquired about Hamilton's interest/asking price, and is likely keeping abreast of the situation in the (unlikely) event he could be had for less than market. But knowing that would drag on for a bit and realizing in the end, he could be stuck holding his pecker and not getting Hamilton, Affeldt, Pagan or Scutaro, he did what he had to do.

I seem to remember similar voices saying similar things about letting Beltran walk, and going after Melky and Pagan instead. Hell, I was probably one of them!

Beltran ended up watching us celebrate as we headed off to win another title. Just saying doots, whether you love Sabean, can't stand him or you're somewhere in between (and all are valid perspectives), this isn't his first rodeo. I'd bet good money that he did his due diligence on JH, assessed the chances of him signing here, then went to work getting the band back together.

I think he is on full retard. LOL That was for DC.

Actually, I really doubt Hamilton was ever in the thinking for the Giants. I really believe that Sabeans only agenda was to sign his own players and reward them just like he did Huff after a WS title. I also agree that he could not have let them all walk and be stuck with nothing and lose out on Hamilton.

Having said that I would much prefer Hamilton over Pagan,, Scutaro, and Affeldt for the same money. Just took risky especially given that no one really expected just a 3 yr deal

Lol, textbook example of "passive aggressive". Hater. . I don't agree at all that Sabean's "only agenda" was to sign his own players, and "rewarding them after a WS title" certainly not. I do agree that it was a priority and all of the moves he made were the correct ones in my opinion. The market went absolutely nuts when you see BJ getting $75 and Victorino getting $39. To get Pagan, Scutaro, and Affeldt for $78 isn't bad at all based on this market.

I'm sure Sabean would have preffered Hamiltion over Pagan, Scutaro, and Affeldt for the same money too. It ain't gonna happen.
Roger, everyone in the world knows that the Giants hope to platoon Blanco and looking for a RH bat.. OK. maybe not some in Africa but other than that.

Was I stating the obvious? Obviously!!
Originally posted by dcsham:
Lol, textbook example of "passive aggressive". Hater. . I don't agree at all that Sabean's "only agenda" was to sign his own players, and "rewarding them after a WS title" certainly not. I do agree that it was a priority and all of the moves he made were the correct ones in my opinion. The market went absolutely nuts when you see BJ getting $75 and Victorino getting $39. To get Pagan, Scutaro, and Affeldt for $78 isn't bad at all based on this market.

I'm sure Sabean would have preffered Hamiltion over Pagan, Scutaro, and Affeldt for the same money too. It ain't gonna happen.

Guess we can agree to disagree. I really believe that signing the Giants own 3 guys was the plan from the beginning. They went over the years they wanted and over the money they wanted to get those done. The Giants signed Huff to a big deal and offered Uribe a big deal as well after 2010 and I think that this was the same scenario. Keep the team together, reward your own players, and go for another run with the same team intact.

Sabean made it clear from the beginning was his goal was: "General manager Brian Sabean said the goals next week are "extremely finite."
"We're trying to get Scutaro and Pagan done," Sabean said Friday.

I dont think it was the wrong thing to do necessarily. I just think it was always the plan.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Roger, everyone in the world knows that the Giants hope to platoon Blanco and looking for a RH bat.. OK. maybe not some in Africa but other than that.

Was I stating the obvious? Obviously!!

Yep.
Guess we can agree to disagree. I really believe that signing the Giants own 3 guys was the plan from the beginning. They went over the years they wanted and over the money they wanted to get those done. The Giants signed Huff to a big deal and offered Uribe a big deal as well after 2010 and I think that this was the same scenario. Keep the team together, reward your own players, and go for another run with the same team intact.

Sabean made it clear from the beginning was his goal was: "General manager Brian Sabean said the goals next week are "extremely finite."

I dont think it was the wrong thing to do necessarily. I just think it was always the plan.

I don't actually think we are disagreeing. The only difference I see from what you are saying and what I am saying is that it wasn't the "only" thing Sabean was trying to do. Obviously, signing Scutaro, Pagan, and Affeldt was the priority. I think he would have liked to come away from the winter meetings with the LF situation taken care of and I'm sure he and the Giants did their due dilagence, but obviously there wasn't any deal available that would stand out. I still think Hairston is a possibility, and to a lesser degree maybe Swisher, and I actually think it's smart for Sabean to let the market play out just a little longer.

As far as the Hamilton thing goes, I just don't see any possibility that he signs a 3 year deal for $75 million. I don't think he signs for ANYTHING less than $100 million, and even that would surprise me. He was never a viable option for the Giants.
Originally posted by dcsham:

Interesting that Sabes specifically said that those "finite goals" were tied to the following week. Sounds like he believed he had a small window to sign Scoots and Pagan before other teams jumped in and made their moves. That said, it doesn't mean his overall talent acquisition goals were finite and I'd bet/hope that we'll keep looking at every option as it presents itself...but he had to get those two deals done within a certain timeframe.

Not really putting a value judgment on that approach, but I believe that's what the thought process was.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Dec 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Interesting that Sabes specifically said that those "finite goals" were tied to the following week. Sounds like he believed he had a small window to sign Scoots and Pagan before other teams jumped in and made their moves. That said, it doesn't mean his overall talent acquisition goals were finite and I'd bet/hope that we'll keep looking at every option as it presents itself...but he had to get those two deals done within a certain timeframe.

Not really putting a value judgment on that approach, but I believe that's what the thought process was.

I agree with you ghost, which is why I credit Sabean for having a very good offseason. I think the fact that he was able to get Scutaro and Pagan signed for what I don't consider to be outrageous money (in an outrageous market) to be a very significant accomplishment. I think that is a measure of trust and respect the Sabean, Bochy, and the Giants organization have developed over the years throughout baseball with the players and agents. Of course, winning 2 WS titles in 3 years helps.

That being said, there is still unfinished work to do in LF and I am confident Sabean will make a good move. We shall see...
[ Edited by dcsham on Dec 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM ]
Alex Pavlovic ‏@AlexPavlovic Pagan said Cain/Vogey cornered him. "They said if you don't sign here, you better wear the best elbow guard. We're going to smoke you."

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Alex Pavlovic ‏@AlexPavlovic Pagan said Cain/Vogey cornered him. "They said if you don't sign here, you better wear the best elbow guard. We're going to smoke you."

Quote:

I wouldnt threaten Pagan. Hes looks like a henchman for a drug cartel.
Quote:

lol awesome!
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Quote:

lol awesome!

yes! epic!
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
<blockquote class="quote">
Quote:
Alex Pavlovic &rlm;@AlexPavlovic Pagan said Cain/Vogey cornered him. "They said if you don't sign here, you better wear the best elbow guard. We're going to smoke you."

lol awesome!

David Wright still has nightmares about Matt Cain fastballs.

Originally posted by Niners99:
David Wright still has nightmares about Matt Cain fastballs.

Dodgers nearing Greinke signing. Can't wait until he has his first panic attack in LA.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com