There are 184 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Its only a matter of time until they fire Ned Colletti and get someone better.

Hopefully Ned Colletti will be able to recklessly spend more before they find someone better. To be quite honest the Dodgers still don't scare me right now going into next year. However, I do see lots of bloated contracts for under achieving players.

I think anyone should be scared about the Dodgers. They are showing that they just will not stop and have no limitations. If Robinson Cano was a FA right now there is no doubt in my mind that they would give him a $150M dollar deal just because they can. Its sickening, disgusting, and of course nothing would make the vast majority of baseball fans happier than seeing this team flop.

Baseball's problem is that the MLBPA is way too strong and that the players wont agree to a deal with a salary cap in place. As much as I love baseball, I would be happy if the owners locked all of the players out until a salary cap was put in place when the next deal is up. If football can have a cap then baseball should be able to as well. Comments by Donald Fehr in 09.........

"We've been down this road before and we saw where this led us," Fehr said. "We spent an awful lot of time after the strike and again in 2002 and 2006, tying revenue sharing to the competitive balance tax and the free-agency system. It's difficult for me to envision a situation where we'd make a wholesale change in the system. It's nearly impossible for me believe that the players would be in favor of a salary cap."

Let me put it this way, I believe in the next couple years Adrian Gonzalez will continue to decline, Hanley Ramirez isn't quite the player he was in the early days in Florida, Carl Crawford may be the player he was in Boston rather than Tampa, Josh Beckett isn't the player he was in Florida or the early days in Boston, I only view Greinke as an above average pitcher not an elite one, although Andre Either has been good, he will be getting up their in age as well. To me it looks like in multiple positions they will be stuck with big albatross contracts with declining performances.

Yes, the Dodgers are spending big but until they have a deep farm system and shows very good team chemistry they won't scare me one bit.

Let's say after 2013 the Dodgers give Robinson Cano a big 7 year contract. Their is a good chance it will be another Mark Texeria situation, he may be productive for the first couple season but not all that special for the latter half of the contract.

Real Superstar talent is rarely making it on the Free Agent market. Average to above average players who do make it may have a couple good years left but get big Super Star contracts from teams like the Dodgers and many of these players will be albatross's in the back half of the contracts.

I stand by my comment that just because they will recklessly spend more money on the Free Agent market than anyone else doesn't mean they will me automatic World Series Contenders.

I will say this will put pressure on the Giants to give a player Sandoval a contract extention now rather than waiting another season. If I were the Giants, this spring I would seriously look at extending him covering him through age 32 and have team options for his 33 and 34 years. Sandoval has two more seasons before he hits FA. Thanks to the Dodgers their will be more pressure on the Giants to lock up their players sooner than they would have possibly liked to, I will give you that much.
Dave, if the Dodgers get a 6 billion dollar TV deal and dont care how much they spend then it doesnt matter to them if certain players have bad contracts and dont perform at the back end of deals. Bottom line is this... when you have that much money to spend it allows you to make mistakes and have busts to a certain extent. Other teams that have normal payrolls cant afford those kind of huge errors.

I hope you are right and that the Dodgers wont end up scaring anyone. I just dont see that as the case.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Dave, if the Dodgers get a 6 billion dollar TV deal and dont care how much they spend then it doesnt matter to them if certain players have bad contracts and dont perform at the back end of deals. Bottom line is this... when you have that much money to spend it allows you to make mistakes and have busts to a certain extent. Other teams that have normal payrolls cant afford those kind of huge errors.

I hope you are right and that the Dodgers wont end up scaring anyone. I just dont see that as the case.

The thing is the Dodgers don't have a strong farm system. Thanks to now international spending limits in Latin America and to the Player draft spending limits, the Dodgers will not be able to outspend their opponents in terms of getting a hold of young prospect players in the future. In order to get a big superstar player the Dodgers will need to surrender good prospects.

There is no question the Dodgers will be able to spend more than anyone else on the open market, sure they can take on salary dump trades in terms of player no longer living up to their contracts but this doesn't mean they will be an automatic World Series contender.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
The thing is the Dodgers don't have a strong farm system. Thanks to now international spending limits in Latin America and to the Player draft spending limits, the Dodgers will not be able to outspend their opponents in terms of getting a hold of young prospect players in the future. In order to get a big superstar player the Dodgers will need to surrender good prospects.

There is no question the Dodgers will be able to spend more than anyone else on the open market, sure they can take on salary dump trades in terms of player no longer living up to their contracts but this doesn't mean they will be an automatic World Series contender.

Dodgers are going to be tough next year.

That lineup.
Good bullpen.
Revamped Rotation.

They will be tough.

Hopefully they crumble under the pressure like the Detroit Tigers did in '07.
Originally posted by Garcia:

That lineup.
Good bullpen.
Revamped Rotation.

They will be tough.

I still like the Giants much more, next season will definitely be interesting to watch but until I see the results on the field, I'm still viewing the Dodgers as an overrated team.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I still like the Giants much more, next season will definitely be interesting to watch but until I see the results on the field, I'm still viewing the Dodgers as an overrated team.

It depends on a couple things.

1. What will this Ryu kid do?
2. Health and Performance of Carl Crawford?
-Even when he was healthy for the Sox, he was dreadful.
3. How good will Kershaw be coming back from Injury?

If we have a healthy and effective Tim Lincecum... I'd say we most definitely can fair pretty well.

I'd like to see us sign a vet LF and see if they can have the upside ala Huff in 2010.

Nick Swisher would be amazing if we can swing that.

That lineup.
Good bullpen.
Revamped Rotation.

They will be tough.

Overrated perhaps. Dangerous.. absolutley.
Garcia I certainly agree that at the very least the Giants need to sign a platoon right handed OF to go with Gregor Blanco.
New prospect list:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/san-francisco-giants-top-15-prospects-2012-13/
On paper the Dodgers have a much better roster than we do, and it's probably not even that close. Thankfully, the game isn't played on paper.

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
New prospect list:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/san-francisco-giants-top-15-prospects-2012-13/

awesome!

I can't wait for spring training!

I think Hembree has a great shot at making the roster. Crick and Blackburn are still super young.

I bet either Gary Brown or Peguero make the roster to platoon the LF with Blanco, barring we dont sign someone.
New prospect list:

awesome!

I think Hembree has a great shot at making the roster. Crick and Blackburn are still super young.

I bet either Gary Brown or Peguero make the roster to platoon the LF with Blanco, barring we dont sign someone.

Brown isnt going to be ready. He took a step backwards last year after joining AA. Theres no way hes ready for major league playing time by April.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Brown isnt going to be ready. He took a step backwards last year after joining AA. Theres no way hes ready for major league playing time by April.

I should have put this in my previous post:

both would have to tear it up in spring and impress.
New prospect list:

awesome!

To be more precise, Brown will likely not be ready and his step backwards last year was primarily in the first half (he had a strong second half). There's a very slim chance he'll be ready for major league playing time by April, but anything is possible.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
To be more precise, Brown will likely not be ready and his step backwards last year was primarily in the first half (he had a strong second half). There's a very slim chance he'll be ready for major league playing time by April, but anything is possible.

If he goes on a tear he will maybe... I am curious about Peguero though. Spring Training get here already.
Share 49ersWebzone