There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
This would piss me off if this is what he ends up getting:

Sources: #Mariners have discussed three-year deals with Hamilton in range of $20M to $25M per season.

I assume he just didn't want to come here I guess.

What kind of money were the Giants throwing at him?. At 25 million, I hope it was Monopoly money and here is Park Avenue as well. Obscene. The guy ain't worth it.

Wholeheartedly agree with itlyn. If Hamilton signs a 3/$75M contract with the Mariners, it BETTER BE because Hamilton turned down a similar off from us, not because we didnt offer it.

And to say that $25M isnt worth it for Josh Hamilton is absurd. Check the dudes numbers.

Right now, here are the hitters that are making $22M+ a year:

Mark Teixiera
Prince Fielder
Albert Pujols
Joey Votto
Joe Mauer
Ryan Howard
Alex Rodriguez

At this point in their careers, there isnt a single person on this list that I would rather have over Josh Hamilton. Maaaybe Votto. Regardless, to say one of the best hitters in baseball, a perennial MVP candidate, isnt worth $25M is absurd. If you are going to argue that no player is worth $25M, thats an entirely different argument.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Wholeheartedly agree with itlyn. If Hamilton signs a 3/$75M contract with the Mariners, it BETTER BE because Hamilton turned down a similar off from us, not because we didnt offer it.

And to say that $25M isnt worth it for Josh Hamilton is absurd. Check the dudes numbers.

Mark Teixiera
Prince Fielder
Albert Pujols
Joey Votto
Joe Mauer
Ryan Howard
Alex Rodriguez

At this point in their careers, there isnt a single person on this list that I would rather have over Josh Hamilton. Maaaybe Votto. Regardless, to say one of the best hitters in baseball, a perennial MVP candidate, isnt worth $25M is absurd. If you are going to argue that no player is worth $25M, thats an entirely different argument.
Good point. It's a matter of perspective. Relative to other players and their salaries, he's probably worth 25 million.

If Willie Mays was to have been paid by today's money - performance standards how much would have have received? 100 million a year? Greatest player ever.

Sources: #Mariners have discussed three-year deals with Hamilton in range of $20M to $25M per season.

What kind of money were the Giants throwing at him?. At 25 million, I hope it was Monopoly money and here is Park Avenue as well. Obscene. The guy ain't worth it.

Mark Teixiera
Prince Fielder
Albert Pujols
Joey Votto
Joe Mauer
Ryan Howard
Alex Rodriguez

Stop agreeing with me, I don't like it.

Mark Teixiera
Prince Fielder
Albert Pujols
Joey Votto
Joe Mauer
Ryan Howard
Alex Rodriguez

Great baseball minds think alike. Sorry about it.

Mark Teixiera
Prince Fielder
Albert Pujols
Joey Votto
Joe Mauer
Ryan Howard
Alex Rodriguez

On an entirely different note, assume Josh Hamilton gets $25 million/year over three years.

We'd obviously not sign Affeldt/Scutaro/Pagan but our lineup would probably look like this:

1. Blanco CF
2. Arias 2B or Belt 1B
3. Hamilton LF
4. Posey C
5. Pablo 3B
6.Pence RF
7. Belt 1B or Arias 2B
8. Crawford SS

SP

Cain
Bumgarner
Vogelsong
Zito
Timmy

RP
Mijares
Lopez
Kontos
Romo
Casilla
Runzler/Otero, etc.

I would have taken that in two seconds. I believe Blanco can be a table-setter (career average .349 OBP) and Hamilton would more than make up for the losses of Pagan and Scutaro.

All a pipe dream though, I'm pretty sure Hamilton has voiced he didn't want to come here at some point
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Dec 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM ]
Again, totally agree with you itlyn. Was saying the same thing when people were talking about Swisher taking the LF spot from Blanco. The combination of Blanco & Hamilton far exceeds the combination of Pagan and Swisher.

And to go off your point, I agree that Hamilton, Arias & minor league reliever > Pagan, Scutaro & Affeldt

I was actually going to say Josh Hamilton when you posed the question a few days ago, how would you have spend the $78M that Sabean spent, but at the time I didnt think $78M was realistic for Hamilton....which apparently is now.
why spend money on hamilton?

would rather save for stanton
Stalyn.. I think 80sBaby has a crush on you. LOL
On an entirely different note, assume Josh Hamilton gets $25 million/year over three years.

We'd obviously not sign Affeldt/Scutaro/Pagan but our lineup would probably look like this:

1. Blanco CF
2. Arias 2B or Belt 1B
3. Hamilton LF
4. Posey C
5. Pablo 3B
6.Pence RF
7. Belt 1B or Arias 2B
8. Crawford SS

SP

Cain
Bumgarner
Vogelsong
Zito
Timmy

RP
Mijares
Lopez
Kontos
Romo
Casilla
Runzler/Otero, etc.

I would have taken that in two seconds. I believe Blanco can be a table-setter (career average .349 OBP) and Hamilton would more than make up for the losses of Pagan and Scutaro.

All a pipe dream though, I'm pretty sure Hamilton has voiced he didn't want to come here at some point

i bet hitting at AT&T intimidates Hamilton. that and he thinks all Giants fans are stoners.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
why spend money on hamilton?

would rather save for stanton

Because Giancarlo doesnt become a free agent until 2017. If the latest rumor about Hamilton's potential contract with the Mariners is true, Hamilton will be off the books 2 years before Stanton is an unrestricted free agent.
Were we even interested in Hamilton?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Pshh please. We were just b***hing at each other about Michael Morse a few days ago! LOL
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Were we even interested in Hamilton?

Seriously doubt it. I think Sabean had his mind made up that he was going to keep this team intact and sign Pagan, Scutaro, and Affeldt. I dont think Hamilton was ever even a remote consideration.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Pshh please. We were just b***hing at each other about Michael Morse a few days ago! LOL

Get the Latest News at Giants365.com