LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 128 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Muggins:
Aldon
Does that count as a sack?
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Dapro:
Wonder salary cap will ever hit baseball. It kind of put small market teams in major disadvantage.

If there was ever a reason to add a cap, its going to be because of the Dodgers new strategy. At what point does baseball say "ok, now youre just making a mockery of the game"? 300 mil? 350 mil? If they dont seem to have a limit, and the owners are rich enough to pay out that much, whats stopping them?

At some point baseball has to step in and do something. What the Dodgers are doing is bad for baseball. Its a joke. Are they just going to buy every big name f/a from now on?

Agree 100%. My neighbor is a huge Dodger fan and he is ashamed of the fact that his team is doing this. As you say, it is simply bad for baseball.
Wonder salary cap will ever hit baseball. It kind of put small market teams in major disadvantage.

If there was ever a reason to add a cap, its going to be because of the Dodgers new strategy. At what point does baseball say "ok, now youre just making a mockery of the game"? 300 mil? 350 mil? If they dont seem to have a limit, and the owners are rich enough to pay out that much, whats stopping them?

At some point baseball has to step in and do something. What the Dodgers are doing is bad for baseball. Its a joke. Are they just going to buy every big name f/a from now on?

Hate to say it, but that's why people hated the Niners and Eddie D throughout the 80's/90's. Eddie was willing to spend whatever on whomever all in the pursuit of championships. For this reason, I can't really hate on what the Dodgers are doing.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Hate to say it, but that's why people hated the Niners and Eddie D throughout the 80's/90's. Eddie was willing to spend whatever on whomever all in the pursuit of championships. For this reason, I can't really hate on what the Dodgers are doing.

I can easily hate on the Dodgers. How many big name FA's did the Niners go out and buy to win titles? Deion for 1 year? Basically, Eddie took care of his own players that the Niners drafted. That is a FAR cry from what the Dodgers are doing.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I can easily hate on the Dodgers. How many big name FA's did the Niners go out and buy to win titles? Deion for 1 year? Basically, Eddie took care of his own players that the Niners drafted. That is a FAR cry from what the Dodgers are doing.

Technically, that was true of EddieD in the 80's, but not in the 90's. He went after as many top free agents (even paying good money for backups and aging players) as he possibly could to re-stock the cupboards (Deion, Tim McDonald, Ken Norton, Rickey Jackson, Richard Dent, Chris Doleman, Gary Plummer, etc.) for the '95 Super Bowl run.

Yes, the talent levels, ages, length of contracts, etc. are a far cry from what Eddie did. But the concept was the same...outspend your opponents, buy as much talent as you can and hope for the best.

Technically, that was true of EddieD in the 80's, but not in the 90's. He went after as many top free agents (even paying good money for backups and aging players) as he possibly could to re-stock the cupboards (Deion, Tim McDonald, Ken Norton, Rickey Jackson, Richard Dent, Chris Doleman, Gary Plummer, etc.) for the '95 Super Bowl run.

Yes, the talent levels, ages, length of contracts, etc. are a far cry from what Eddie did. But the concept was the same...outspend your opponents, buy as much talent as you can and hope for the best.

I hear what you are saying but I think its MUCH different and the impact is not even close to what the Dodgers are doing. Eddie signed for the most part some older players that were near the end of their career. Rickey Jackson was 36 and had a couple of years left, Richard Dent was 34 and played there 1 yr, Chris Doleman was 35. These were guys that could still contribute some but non got mega deals that could change the entire landscape of the league and make it impossible for smaller markets to compete. The 49ers built their teams around the draft and added some older players to help contribute. The Dodgers have a crap minor league system and to make up for it are spending obscene amounts of money.

I think any baseball fan should be sickened by what the new Dodgers ownership is doing. Its disgusting.

I hear what you are saying but I think its MUCH different and the impact is not even close to what the Dodgers are doing. Eddie signed for the most part some older players that were near the end of their career. Rickey Jackson was 36 and had a couple of years left, Richard Dent was 34 and played there 1 yr, Chris Doleman was 35. These were guys that could still contribute some but non got mega deals that could change the entire landscape of the league and make it impossible for smaller markets to compete. The 49ers built their teams around the draft and added some older players to help contribute. The Dodgers have a crap minor league system and to make up for it are spending obscene amounts of money.

I think any baseball fan should be sickened by what the new Dodgers ownership is doing. Its disgusting.

While I'm as disgusted as the next guy, probably more so, I think it's rather funny that they've basically conceded that they can't hang with the Giants on a level playing field. They've admitted to themselves that the only way they can get ahead is to outspend the Giants, in their mind anyway. Seeing them fail after this would be all the more satisfying.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
While I'm as disgusted as the next guy, probably more so, I think it's rather funny that they've basically conceded that they can't hang with the Giants on a level playing field. They've admitted to themselves that the only way they can get ahead is to outspend the Giants, in their mind anyway. Seeing them fail after this would be all the more satisfying.

Their stupidity is getting some national airtime, at least on the satellite networks. Russo was all over it today (obviously he's a Giant fan) but lots of callers too on Sirius 86.

Spending is one thing; spending smart is something else entirely.
Originally posted by dcsham:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Their stupidity is getting some national airtime, at least on the satellite networks. Russo was all over it today (obviously he's a Giant fan) but lots of callers too on Sirius 86.

Spending is one thing; spending smart is something else entirely.

They're basically going after all the top FA's.

All that takes is $$, no brains required.
The Dodgers must feel they are going to receive a healthy return on a much improved team in the form of increased tickets sale, licences, merchandising, etc. Let's hope the team flops.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Dec 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM ]

Its only a matter of time until they fire Ned Colletti and get someone better.

Hopefully Ned Colletti will be able to recklessly spend more before they find someone better. To be quite honest the Dodgers still don't scare me right now going into next year. However, I do see lots of bloated contracts for under achieving players.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
The Dodgers must feel they are going to receive a healthy return on a much improved team in the form of increased tickets sale, licences, merchandising, etc. Let's hope the team flops.

6 Billion Dollar TV deal from Fox. Enough said.
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:

Hopefully Ned Colletti will be able to recklessly spend more before they find someone better. To be quite honest the Dodgers still don't scare me right now going into next year. However, I do see lots of bloated contracts for under achieving players.

I think anyone should be scared about the Dodgers. They are showing that they just will not stop and have no limitations. If Robinson Cano was a FA right now there is no doubt in my mind that they would give him a $150M dollar deal just because they can. Its sickening, disgusting, and of course nothing would make the vast majority of baseball fans happier than seeing this team flop.

Baseball's problem is that the MLBPA is way too strong and that the players wont agree to a deal with a salary cap in place. As much as I love baseball, I would be happy if the owners locked all of the players out until a salary cap was put in place when the next deal is up. If football can have a cap then baseball should be able to as well. Comments by Donald Fehr in 09.........

"We've been down this road before and we saw where this led us," Fehr said. "We spent an awful lot of time after the strike and again in 2002 and 2006, tying revenue sharing to the competitive balance tax and the free-agency system. It's difficult for me to envision a situation where we'd make a wholesale change in the system. It's nearly impossible for me believe that the players would be in favor of a salary cap."
6 Billion Dollar TV deal from Fox. Enough said.

I wish the Giants can get that deal.

Does anyone know how could the Giants get anywhere close to that amount?
Share 49ersWebzone