There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
We just took Scott Shuman from TB in the Rule 5.

???

@CSNBaggs: The Giants didn't take any players in the Rule 5 draft and lost just one, in the minor league phase: Aussie RHP Cameron Lamb to Houston.

https://twitter.com/johnmanuelba/status/276709699817189379
Originally posted by boast:

???

@CSNBaggs: The Giants didn't take any players in the Rule 5 draft and lost just one, in the minor league phase: Aussie RHP Cameron Lamb to Houston.

Strange...

John Manuel @johnmanuelba Most intriguing pick in minor phase: RHP Scott Shuman to the #Giants. Guy throws 95-97 or more. Dick Tidrow gets #ninja hands on power arm
Btw, John you were right....in the minor phase of the rule-5 draft, you don't have to keep a kid like Shuman on the 25-man roster all year long or lose him. So he can be developed properly in the minors (if we actually drafted him).
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Worth taking a look for a guy who throws that hard. The Giants would have to carry him on the 25 man active roster the entire year to keep him within the organization. Otherwise, they would have to put him back on waivers. After this year they could option him back to the minors. If they do keep him he would be the 12th man on the pitching staff.

He would/could be taking Mota's spot right?

Yes. I think the Giants have 6 bullpen spots locked up and 1 available. Now if Wilson came back, which I highly doubt, I dont think there would be a spot for the kid. The Giants also discussed Jason Grilli from the reports but I guess they are out of that now. Couldnt quite understand why they would go there anyway. I would think that any money to be spent now would be on LF.

RH Romo, Casilla, Kontos
LH Affeldt Lopez Mijares

I just looked at Shuman's stats, and I gotta say I am less than impressed. He seems to be going the wrong direction, as every year his statistics seem to be getting worse. He had a TERRIBLE season last year. Hope our pitching coaches can turn it around for him, because clearly there is potential. You cant teach high 90s.

He seems to be a thrower and not much of a pitcher at this point in his career. I mean, last year he had 47 walks in 34 innings pitched? 1 earned run an inning? Yikes! Although 54 Ks in 34 innings seems promising. Like I said, sounds like someone who isnt a pitcher yet.

I think its a longshot. Almost every rule 5 player is. It isnt easy when you are a contending team to tie up a roster spot all year long for a kid over his head but has potential.

When someone said "flame-throwing" i expected 100+, but he sits 95 and touches 97, which for a RP isnt that special.

btw, whens the last time the Giants had a guy who hit 100+ mph regularly? And i mean real 100 mph pitches, not hot stadium gun ones. Its been a while.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Worth taking a look for a guy who throws that hard. The Giants would have to carry him on the 25 man active roster the entire year to keep him within the organization. Otherwise, they would have to put him back on waivers. After this year they could option him back to the minors. If they do keep him he would be the 12th man on the pitching staff.

He would/could be taking Mota's spot right?

Yes. I think the Giants have 6 bullpen spots locked up and 1 available. Now if Wilson came back, which I highly doubt, I dont think there would be a spot for the kid. The Giants also discussed Jason Grilli from the reports but I guess they are out of that now. Couldnt quite understand why they would go there anyway. I would think that any money to be spent now would be on LF.

RH Romo, Casilla, Kontos
LH Affeldt Lopez Mijares

I just looked at Shuman's stats, and I gotta say I am less than impressed. He seems to be going the wrong direction, as every year his statistics seem to be getting worse. He had a TERRIBLE season last year. Hope our pitching coaches can turn it around for him, because clearly there is potential. You cant teach high 90s.

He seems to be a thrower and not much of a pitcher at this point in his career. I mean, last year he had 47 walks in 34 innings pitched? 1 earned run an inning? Yikes! Although 54 Ks in 34 innings seems promising. Like I said, sounds like someone who isnt a pitcher yet.

I think its a longshot. Almost every rule 5 player is. It isnt easy when you are a contending team to tie up a roster spot all year long for a kid over his head but has potential.

When someone said "flame-throwing" i expected 100+, but he sits 95 and touches 97, which for a RP isnt that special.

btw, whens the last time the Giants had a guy who hit 100+ mph regularly? And i mean real 100 mph pitches, not hot stadium gun ones. Its been a while.

Erik Threets?
i asked him

@nonz: @CSNBaggs did the #SFGiants NOT select RHP Scott Shuman in the Rule 5 minor phase as reported by @johnmanuelba?

he just tweeted...

@CSNBaggs: I omitted Giants' selection in minor league phase of Rule 5 draft: RHP Scott Shuman, a former 19th rounder out of Auburn from Rays system.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Btw, John you were right....in the minor phase of the rule-5 draft, you don't have to keep a kid like Shuman on the 25-man roster all year long or lose him. So he can be developed properly in the minors (if we actually drafted him).

Well.. that makes the pick much better then. I doubt a contending team like the Giants would keep him on the 25 man roster all season. The Giants system is pretty good at developing young pitching so this would make so much more sense.

I will go with................ NO ONE. Brian Wilson would hit 100 on occasion but not consistently and I'm not sure they weren't stadium friendly guns.
This would piss me off if this is what he ends up getting:

Sources: #Mariners have discussed three-year deals with Hamilton in range of $20M to $25M per season.

I assume he just didn't want to come here I guess.
K/9 is pretty good, but yeah seems like he's regressed every year he's pitched. Maybe Dick Tidrow can work some of his pitcher voodoo.

2010Minors 452.92470001474.05029245401141.23.190 2011CHAFSL044.7042000251.2283027359861.28.159 2011Minors 044.7042000251.2283027359861.28.159 2012MTGSOU018.8329000034.2324034347541.50.239 2012Minors 018.8329000034.2324034347541.50.239

Here's his record for 2010 through 2012. Notice the number of walks in 2012

Sources: #Mariners have discussed three-year deals with Hamilton in range of $20M to $25M per season.

What kind of money were the Giants throwing at him?. At 25 million, I hope it was Monopoly money and here is Park Avenue as well. Obscene. The guy ain't worth it.

I will go with................ NO ONE. Brian Wilson would hit 100 on occasion but not consistently and I'm not sure they weren't stadium friendly guns.

RHP prospect Stephen Johnson threw consistently at 96-97 as a college reliever and was clocked once or twice at 101-102. Who knows, if they can tighten up his mechanics, he might be that guy one day.

Last one I could think of. Tried to find a picture of him in a Giants uniform, but I cannot.

I remember going to games when I was younger and loving when this guy was pitching. Everytime he hit 100, a bell would sound and they would flash 100 on the screen. Was pretty cool.

I wasnt sure if there was someone before my day, but apparently not. Stadium guns are almost always hot. Bill James posts the actual 100+ mph pitch counts per season, and theyre surprisingly rare. Outside Aroldis Chapman anyways..

2012 leaders 100+ velocity pitches:

Aroldis Chapman - 242
Kelvin Herrera - 162
Andrew Cashner - 104
Henry Rodriguez - 58
Justin Verlander - 44
Carter Capps - 43
Nate Jones - 33
Bobby Parnell - 28
Trevor Rosenthal - 12
Fernando Rodney - 10
Jason Motte - 9
Alexi Ogando - 7
Craig Kimbrel - 5
John Axford - 4
Stephen Pryor - 4
Brayan Villarreal - 4
Tanner Scheppers - 2
10 tied with - 1
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

What kind of money were the Giants throwing at him?. At 25 million, I hope it was Monopoly money and here is Park Avenue as well. Obscene. The guy ain't worth it.

Presumably the Giants were never in it. At $25 million/year for three years, you'd be getting an infinitely better player than what the Braves paid for BJ Upton even though the annual value is more.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com