There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

We just took Scott Shuman from TB in the Rule 5.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Flame-throwing reliever (high 90's fastball).
High 90 mph range? Nice!
2012 Montgomery Biscuits lasr team for which he played

Rutherford Scott Shuman

Bats: Right, Throws: Right Height: 6' 3", Weight: 205 lb.

Born: March 28, 1988 in Valdosta, Georgia, US (Age 24)

Drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 23rd round of the 2006 MLB June Amateur Draft from Tift County HS (Tifton, GA) and the Tampa Bay Rays in the 19th round of the 2009 MLB June Amateur Draft from Auburn University (Auburn, AL).

Minor League Service Time (01/2013): 2 years

Throws wall to wall heat. High 90's?

http://allthingsvalleyleague.typepad.com/all_things_valley_league/2009/09/checking-in-with-scott-shuman.html

Despite his modest draft status, Shuman has a chance to move more quickly than any member of the Tampa Bay's '09 draft class. A reliever with a slinging, low three-quarters slot, he has fanned 29 batters while walking nine in 22 Appy League innings, sitting at 95 mph and touching 97 with his sinking fast ball. The pitch features boring, tailing action, getting in on the hands of right-handed batters, and Shuman's quality mid-80s slider gives him a weapon to the other side of the plate. He's converted all three of his save chances and has allowed just four runs (two earned) for an 0.82 ERA.

So, although he didn't make the top 20 list, it looks like Scott has a bright future! Oh, I almost forgot: at one point that year I asked Winchester Coach John Lowery who might be his best arm. Guess who he named? Yep- Scott.

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM ]

Worth taking a look for a guy who throws that hard. The Giants would have to carry him on the 25 man active roster the entire year to keep him within the organization. Otherwise, they would have to put him back on waivers. After this year they could option him back to the minors. If they do keep him he would be the 12th man on the pitching staff.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Worth taking a look for a guy who throws that hard. The Giants would have to carry him on the 25 man active roster the entire year to keep him within the organization. Otherwise, they would have to put him back on waivers. After this year they could option him back to the minors. If they do keep him he would be the 12th man on the pitching staff.

Definitely worth the gamble...with his stuff, some luck and proper coaching from Rags/Gardner he could eventually be set-up or possibly closer material.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Definitely worth the gamble...with his stuff, some luck and proper coaching from Rags/Gardner he could eventually be set-up or possibly closer material.

He will have to look really good in the spring to justify taking up a spot the entire year. There are some great success stories from Rule 5 prospects. The last 2 I remember are Josh Hamilton and Johan Santana.

He would/could be taking Mota's spot right?
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Yes. I think the Giants have 6 bullpen spots locked up and 1 available. Now if Wilson came back, which I highly doubt, I dont think there would be a spot for the kid. The Giants also discussed Jason Grilli from the reports but I guess they are out of that now. Couldnt quite understand why they would go there anyway. I would think that any money to be spent now would be on LF.

RH Romo, Casilla, Kontos
LH Affeldt Lopez Mijares
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

He will have to look really good in the spring to justify taking up a spot the entire year. There are some great success stories from Rule 5 prospects. The last 2 I remember are Josh Hamilton and Johan Santana.

And the greatest of all, Roberto Clemente (Pirates stole him from the Dodgers, thank god)!

Yes. I think the Giants have 6 bullpen spots locked up and 1 available. Now if Wilson came back, which I highly doubt, I dont think there would be a spot for the kid. The Giants also discussed Jason Grilli from the reports but I guess they are out of that now. Couldnt quite understand why they would go there anyway. I would think that any money to be spent now would be on LF.

RH Romo, Casilla, Kontos
LH Affeldt Lopez Mijares

I just looked at Shuman's stats, and I gotta say I am less than impressed. He seems to be going the wrong direction, as every year his statistics seem to be getting worse. He had a TERRIBLE season last year. Hope our pitching coaches can turn it around for him, because clearly there is potential. You cant teach high 90s.

He seems to be a thrower and not much of a pitcher at this point in his career. I mean, last year he had 47 walks in 34 innings pitched? 1 earned run an inning? Yikes! Although 54 Ks in 34 innings seems promising. Like I said, sounds like someone who isnt a pitcher yet.

RH Romo, Casilla, Kontos
LH Affeldt Lopez Mijares

I just looked at Shuman's stats, and I gotta say I am less than impressed. He seems to be going the wrong direction, as every year his statistics seem to be getting worse. He had a TERRIBLE season last year. Hope our pitching coaches can turn it around for him, because clearly there is potential. You cant teach high 90s.

He seems to be a thrower and not much of a pitcher at this point in his career. I mean, last year he had 47 walks in 34 innings pitched? 1 earned run an inning? Yikes! Although 54 Ks in 34 innings seems promising. Like I said, sounds like someone who isnt a pitcher yet.

I think its a longshot. Almost every rule 5 player is. It isnt easy when you are a contending team to tie up a roster spot all year long for a kid over his head but has potential.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
We really need to address the blanco spot, him starting is a joke

It can't be a joke if we won a WS with him there, but its definitely not optimum.

yea but that was really melky's spot, just feel there is a void there if blanco starts, doubt he produces like melky did the first half, and who knows if we would have got in. Im not saying get a big name , ludwick or hairston would be an upgrade, with the doggies making moves i feel we need to address this with whatever money we have left. Swisher would be ideal if it were me.

RH Romo, Casilla, Kontos
LH Affeldt Lopez Mijares

I think its a longshot. Almost every rule 5 player is. It isnt easy when you are a contending team to tie up a roster spot all year long for a kid over his head but has potential.

K/9 is pretty good, but yeah seems like he's regressed every year he's pitched. Maybe Dick Tidrow can work some of his pitcher voodoo.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame

???

@CSNBaggs: The Giants didn't take any players in the Rule 5 draft and lost just one, in the minor league phase: Aussie RHP Cameron Lamb to Houston.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com