There are 218 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Stalyn.. I think 80sBaby has a crush on you. LOL

Pshh please. We were just b***hing at each other about Michael Morse a few days ago! LOL
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Were we even interested in Hamilton?

Seriously doubt it. I think Sabean had his mind made up that he was going to keep this team intact and sign Pagan, Scutaro, and Affeldt. I dont think Hamilton was ever even a remote consideration.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Stalyn.. I think 80sBaby has a crush on you. LOL

Pshh please. We were just b***hing at each other about Michael Morse a few days ago! LOL

Hamilton would be ideal, but i guess he didn't want to come here.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Like I just posted, I seriously doubt that he was ever given any offer. I think the entire world thought Hamilton would get a 4+ year deal in excess of 100 million. He probably still will. My guess... Texas for 100 M for 4 yrs.

Seriously doubt it. I think Sabean had his mind made up that he was going to keep this team intact and sign Pagan, Scutaro, and Affeldt. I dont think Hamilton was ever even a remote consideration.

Which I think is a problem in and of itself. I think at the very least, as a team that won the World Series twice in the past three years, if Sabean doesnt at least spark a conversation with every top free agent available, I dont think he is doing his job. Just kick the tires and see where the player's head is at. What harm would it do? We are a VERY desirable team to play for. Why not at least make an attempt?

Same thing goes with Nick Swisher. There have been a ton of reports that say we cant afford him. Well, Nick has publicly stated he wants to play here. So why not at least talk to him. Tell him how much money we have to spend and see if he would be interested. Whats the worst that could happen? He says no?

The Zito effect

I think tying up that much $$ on one FA player has scared him.
[ Edited by YungBird on Dec 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Like I just posted, I seriously doubt that he was ever given any offer. I think the entire world thought Hamilton would get a 4+ year deal in excess of 100 million. He probably still will. My guess... Texas for 100 M for 4 yrs.

There is no way on God's green earth that Hamilton signs for a 3 year contract. In fact, I doubt he signs for less than 5.
Wholeheartedly agree with itlyn. If Hamilton signs a 3/$75M contract with the Mariners, it BETTER BE because Hamilton turned down a similar off from us, not because we didnt offer it.

And to say that $25M isnt worth it for Josh Hamilton is absurd. Check the dudes numbers.

Right now, here are the hitters that are making $22M+ a year:

Mark Teixiera
Prince Fielder
Albert Pujols
Joey Votto
Joe Mauer
Ryan Howard
Alex Rodriguez

At this point in their careers, there isnt a single person on this list that I would rather have over Josh Hamilton. Maaaybe Votto. Regardless, to say one of the best hitters in baseball, a perennial MVP candidate, isnt worth $25M is absurd. If you are going to argue that no player is worth $25M, thats an entirely different argument.

Don't believe all of the crap coming out of the winter meetings. Anyone who thinks Hamilton signs for a 3/75 is seriously off their rocker.
Originally posted by YungBird:
The Zito effect

I think "The Zito Effect" as you put it has more to do with the amount of years than it does the per year salary, but I could be wrong.

Originally posted by dcsham:
Don't believe all of the crap coming out of the winter meetings. Anyone who thinks Hamilton signs for a 3/75 is seriously off their rocker.

We will see dc. We will see.

Unless he is full on retard, I'm sure Sabean at least inquired about Hamilton's interest/asking price, and is likely keeping abreast of the situation in the (unlikely) event he could be had for less than market. But knowing that would drag on for a bit and realizing in the end, he could be stuck holding his pecker and not getting Hamilton, Affeldt, Pagan or Scutaro, he did what he had to do.

I seem to remember similar voices saying similar things about letting Beltran walk, and going after Melky and Pagan instead. Hell, I was probably one of them!

Beltran ended up watching us celebrate as we headed off to win another title. Just saying doots, whether you love Sabean, can't stand him or you're somewhere in between (and all are valid perspectives), this isn't his first rodeo. I'd bet good money that he did his due diligence on JH, assessed the chances of him signing here, then went to work getting the band back together.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Unless he is full on retard, I'm sure Sabean at least inquired about Hamilton's interest/asking price, and is likely keeping abreast of the situation in the (unlikely) event he could be had for less than market. But knowing that would drag on for a bit and realizing in the end, he could be stuck holding his pecker and not getting Hamilton, Affeldt, Pagan or Scutaro, he did what he had to do.

I seem to remember similar voices saying similar things about letting Beltran walk, and going after Melky and Pagan instead. Hell, I was probably one of them!

Beltran ended up watching us celebrate as we headed off to win another title. Just saying doots, whether you love Sabean, can't stand him or you're somewhere in between (and all are valid perspectives), this isn't his first rodeo. I'd bet good money that he did his due diligence on JH, assessed the chances of him signing here, then went to work getting the band back together.

The haters will say he is a full on retard.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I agree. I have a hard time believing he didnt at least inquire. It was a position we need and he is good. Honestly If I were Hamilton, why would you want to play in our big park and suffer reduced power numbers and have to cover more ground. If there is a chance, he will sneak in. I just think its more than just Sabs offering him a 3-4 year deal.

And f**k Beltran.
Originally posted by YungBird:
The Zito effect

I think "The Zito Effect" as you put it has more to do with the amount of years than it does the per year salary, but I could be wrong.

Originally posted by dcsham:

We will see dc. We will see.

Lol, the second Hamilton gets a firm offer for 3/75 his agent will run to any of a number of other teams and then the bidding war begins. If I'm wrong on this you can lambaste me but when you see Blow Job get $75 million do you think that there is any way that Hamilton signs for the same amount of guaranteed money? Not a prayer...this is Hamilton's last big contract and he's going to cash in for 3 figures.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I agree. I have a hard time believing he didnt at least inquire. It was a position we need and he is good. Honestly If I were Hamilton, why would you want to play in our big park and suffer reduced power numbers and have to cover more ground. If there is a chance, he will sneak in. I just think its more than just Sabs offering him a 3-4 year deal.

And f**k Beltran.

This. It's been documented that Sabean wanted him back and made inquires to start negotiating and Beltran ignored it. Then the c********r lied about it.
Share 49ersWebzone