LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Seriously we should be spending as much as anybody, tapped out after a 3 yr 20 mil deal is ridiculous to me. Blanco as our starting lf is a joke and he's pretty much an automatic out

Maybe it is a smoke screen while they work a deal for Swisher?
We dont seem as concerned with the starting rotation as we should be. Maybe theyre fine with it for now since all 5 guys are returning, but after 2013 were down to Cain, Bumgarner, a 37 year old Vogelsong, and a couple replacement level guys.

I know we can worry about it next offseason, but its still something to keep an eye on. It would be ironic if we bought Zito out of that 8th option year and brought him back for cheap.
Originally posted by Niners99:
We dont seem as concerned with the starting rotation as we should be. Maybe theyre fine with it for now since all 5 guys are returning, but after 2013 were down to Cain, Bumgarner, a 37 year old Vogelsong, and a couple replacement level guys.

I know we can worry about it next offseason, but its still something to keep an eye on. It would be ironic if we bought Zito out of that 8th option year and brought him back for cheap.

2014 rotation

Cain
MadBum
Vogey
Kickham
Stratton or Crick or Blackburn

Does anyone else find Grant Brisbee unreadable? The guy tries WAYYYY too hard to be a funny/eclectic/original blogger. I'm done reading his blog...it's like pulling teeth just to get bits of information.

Any other good Giant blogs? I read Pavlovic but he doesn't update enough for me...
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Does anyone else find Grant Brisbee unreadable? The guy tries WAYYYY too hard to be a funny/eclectic/original blogger. I'm done reading his blog...it's like pulling teeth just to get bits of information.

Any other good Giant blogs? I read Pavlovic but he doesn't update enough for me...

I'll wager you're in the minority here. McCoveyChron isn't a serious sports blog in itself, but the discussion is. A lot of extremely knowledgeable posters over there including a former scout.
We really need to address the blanco spot, him starting is a joke
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
We really need to address the blanco spot, him starting is a joke

It can't be a joke if we won a WS with him there, but its definitely not optimum.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

2014 rotation

Cain
MadBum
Vogey
Kickham
Stratton or Crick or Blackburn

Crick might be ready to be in the rotation by then, but theres no way those other 3 are ready by opening day 2014.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

100% with you on that one. He goes off on wild, random tangents multiple times in every article and doesn't get back to his original point for paragraphs on end.

I'd suggest Baycityball.com. Lots of sabermetrics, but Chris Quick and all of the other writers are very knowledgeable and easy to read. I think they just brought aboard the writer for SFGiantsnirvana.com

I think it's the best Giants' blog out there
Nasty Nate signed with the Cubs: 1yr 2.25 mill

So we are all just writing off Lincecum now?

The guy has one bad season in his CAREER, an he's done?

Contract year, plus dudes a warrior, you know he wants to bounce back and show he's still a freak. You know he's gonna come into camp in the best shape of his life!

So he can get 200 million from the dodgers in 2014...
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by dcsham:
Lol Ghost, you can't argue with the Sabean haters here. It will always be dumb luck if he is successful but 100% his fault if things go wrong. They won't see the logic, and nothing that you or I say will make a difference.

Hell, john says him or I could have done what Sabean did this offseason so I guess I best be giving the Giants a call to offer my services!

LOL. I dont know how many times I have to say that I give Sabean all the credit in the world for trades he made to get the Giants over the hump. However, there is no debating his poor record when it comes to free agency. It has been bad no matter how you look at it. I dont think I need to give the laundry list again for you.

All he did this off season ( in which you called his job great) was to resign his 3 players at market or above market rate. These were guys who really wanted to stay in SF but certainly did not give the team hometown discounts to stay. Affeldt, Scutaro, and Pagan all got more years than expected and more money as well. Sabean didnt have much choice due to the fact that the Giants system has zero players ready to come up and produce.

As far as being able to simply give out the highest years and money for your own players and keep them... well yes, even you could have done that I think.

Exactly. Im 100% in agreement with John on this subject.

+1
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

Contract year, plus dudes a warrior, you know he wants to bounce back and show he's still a freak. You know he's gonna come into camp in the best shape of his life!

I get the feeling that he doesn't care if he's a Giant or not.
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

Its not just one year though. He hasnt been a true, steady ace since 2009. In fact, i remember the game when his performance started going downhill. It was early May 2010, and he was looking like he was well on his way to a 3rd straight CY Award after what he did in April. It was in Miami, and he was dominating until Hanley golfed a HR off him on a good pitch below the zone for a 3 run HR. after that game he started to slide into that typical hot/ice cold inconsistancy. By that August he looked like trash. He rebounded in a big way in Sept/Oct and we won the WS, but his velocity definately wasnt 95-96 anymore.

2011 was another season of hot/cold inconsistancy, and 2012 he was terrible for most the entire year. Its been about 3 years of steady decline. Age might be hindering the gymnist-like mechanics required for his release point and velocity to stay consistant.

If he does well next year we should avoid taking the bait and let him walk.
I remember that game. Like 13 Ks thru 6 innings. Up 3-0. It was a 3 run shot. I remember that game like yesterday.

I get what you are saying. If the dude can be accurate he is unhittable even when only throwing 92-93.

I'm more interested in seeing what happens with Timmy next year.
Share 49ersWebzone