LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

After all this Sabean talk, I thought I would bump what I wrote about a month ago:

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
My opinion of Brian Sabean prior to 2010: He has made questionable move after questionable move. He made more terrible trades than good ones. He signed more bad players to contracts that exceeded their value than good players to contracts that were less than their value. He wasted Barry Bonds' career by not putting enough pieces around him. He wasted 2 years of elite pitching by not putting enough good hitters around it. He doesnt have the slightest clue how to draft hitting prospects, which means he is an average talent evaluator when coupled with his ability to draft pitching prospects. He was as big of a problem as anything else with this team.

My opinion of Brian Sabean now: Everything I wrote above is completely moot after winning 2 World Series Championships in the last 3 years. While I may question some of his moves going forward, he has now earned the benefit of the doubt for the foreseeable future.
The only thing that causes me to wake up at night screaming and breaking out in a cold sweat is a recurring nightmare of the stadium announcer saying,"Now batting for the Giants, Gregor Blanco, the left fielder." We need to rectify the situation. Excellent defensively, somewhat lacking at the plate.
Since there's a lot of pro-Sabean/anti-Sabean talk going on right now I have a proposal: everyone take the $78 million Sabes has spent so far this off-season and give us your take on how you would have spent in the FA period.

This is purely for our own entertainment. Will be interesting to go back and see during the season how the players each person wanted or didn't want perform. Anyone want to participate?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by toeshawn:
RT @CSNBaggs #SFGiants want RH OF bat and had 2-year deal set up with Ryan Ludwick before Scutaro tapped them out. Now even Hairston too pricy for them.

Time to see what the young guys can do in a platoon with Blanco....Kieschnick, Peggs, Brown or even Pill as a LF/1B rotational guy. We might have to tough it out in LF and use that position as an open audition for prospects until the trade deadline.

Pagan - CF
Scutaro - 2nd
Pablo - 3rd
Posey - C
Pence - RF
Belt - 1st
Blanco/RK/FP/GB/BP - LF
Crawford - SS

Hopefully it doesnt come down to that because I dont think any of them are close to being ready.

just hopefully we wont have to use Justin Christian
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
just hopefully we wont have to use Justin Christian

He is a cardinal now
So Blanco is really gonna be the guy at LF
Originally posted by dcsham:
Lol Ghost, you can't argue with the Sabean haters here. It will always be dumb luck if he is successful but 100% his fault if things go wrong. They won't see the logic, and nothing that you or I say will make a difference.

Hell, john says him or I could have done what Sabean did this offseason so I guess I best be giving the Giants a call to offer my services!

LOL. I dont know how many times I have to say that I give Sabean all the credit in the world for trades he made to get the Giants over the hump. However, there is no debating his poor record when it comes to free agency. It has been bad no matter how you look at it. I dont think I need to give the laundry list again for you.

All he did this off season ( in which you called his job great) was to resign his 3 players at market or above market rate. These were guys who really wanted to stay in SF but certainly did not give the team hometown discounts to stay. Affeldt, Scutaro, and Pagan all got more years than expected and more money as well. Sabean didnt have much choice due to the fact that the Giants system has zero players ready to come up and produce.

As far as being able to simply give out the highest years and money for your own players and keep them... well yes, even you could have done that I think.

Exactly. Im 100% in agreement with John on this subject.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/awards/executive-of-the-year/2012/2614367.html

DC for you to gloat. Sabean won it.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Lol Ghost, you can't argue with the Sabean haters here. It will always be dumb luck if he is successful but 100% his fault if things go wrong. They won't see the logic, and nothing that you or I say will make a difference.

Hell, john says him or I could have done what Sabean did this offseason so I guess I best be giving the Giants a call to offer my services!

LOL. I dont know how many times I have to say that I give Sabean all the credit in the world for trades he made to get the Giants over the hump. However, there is no debating his poor record when it comes to free agency. It has been bad no matter how you look at it. I dont think I need to give the laundry list again for you.

All he did this off season ( in which you called his job great) was to resign his 3 players at market or above market rate. These were guys who really wanted to stay in SF but certainly did not give the team hometown discounts to stay. Affeldt, Scutaro, and Pagan all got more years than expected and more money as well. Sabean didnt have much choice due to the fact that the Giants system has zero players ready to come up and produce.

As far as being able to simply give out the highest years and money for your own players and keep them... well yes, even you could have done that I think.

Exactly. Im 100% in agreement with John on this subject.

Get a room already.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Since there's a lot of pro-Sabean/anti-Sabean talk going on right now I have a proposal: everyone take the $78 million Sabes has spent so far this off-season and give us your take on how you would have spent in the FA period.

This is purely for our own entertainment. Will be interesting to go back and see during the season how the players each person wanted or didn't want perform. Anyone want to participate?

Lol, we got Affeldt, Pagan, and Scutaro for only $3 million more than blow job Upton. Already a win!

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/awards/executive-of-the-year/2012/2614367.html

DC for you to gloat. Sabean won it.

Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

More to come...have faith.
Seriously we should be spending as much as anybody, tapped out after a 3 yr 20 mil deal is ridiculous to me. Blanco as our starting lf is a joke and he's pretty much an automatic out
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Lol, we got Affeldt, Pagan, and Scutaro for only $3 million more than blow job Upton. Already a win!

I was talking in a more hypothetical sense, who would you have non-tendered, signed, etc.?
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

More to come...have faith.

Exactly. Pagan wasn't acquired until December 7th last year, so there's still time to make a deal for a real LF.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Dec 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone