There are 192 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

• teeohh
  • Veteran
RT @RaelEnteenCSN Best part of Scutaro coming back to #SFGiants is he will be there for ring ceremony, which Matt Holliday will have to sit through (again).

Ya bish
Not crazy about the extra years but at least the Giants locked up Affeldt, Scutaro, and Pagan for about the same cost as what the Braves paid for a BJ.
scoots my man
nice...now lets see what we can do to get some help in lf. Great job by sabean so far this offseason.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Ehh, I hear what you are saying Ghost, but I dont necessarily agree. I would love Scutaro to come back as well. But 3 years is OD in my opinion. You and I know damn well he wont be an $8M player when he is 40.

Hes not an 8 mil player NOW. He was an old, mediocre MIF even at Coors before he came over. He had a historic 2nd half for us, but it wont continue. Giving a 3 year deal to a guy who will be 38 next season is idiotic. This is why i rag on Sabean all the time. He doesnt make smart decisions with money.

Yet, he's got 2 WS titles compared to however many you have as a GM. Just sayin....

ooohhh BURN!

Since hes been the GM, Sabean has made a vast array of terrible signings, and a few of the worst trades of the last decade. I shouldnt have to defend my reasons for critisizing him. Yes, we have won 2 WS in the 17 years hes been on the job. Yes, he gets credit for putting the pieces in place. No, the team/coaches winning the rings doesnt make him a smart, or above average GM. He makes alot of bad baseball moves regardless of outcome.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
The Associated Press is reporting that the San Francisco Giants have also have picked up the 2014 contract options for GM Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy.
Originally posted by dcsham:
nice...now lets see what we can do to get some help in lf. Great job by sabean so far this offseason.

LOL You and I could have done what Sabean did this off season. Dont get carried away DC. He went to extra years on all 3 players and certainly did not get a hometown discount on any of them. Good for keeping his players but dont make it sound like he did something awesome here. Now, if he makes a great trade for a LF then you have something
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Dec 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM ]
I still remember how this thread broke down with everyone saying how we have to blow this team up and get some real hitters back during the cards series... Now we are champs. Again.

And back to complaining. Haha it's awesome.
So much less than originally anticipated, thank God. Go get f**king Swisher!
I'm fine with both deals. With the market for 2B, it was worth it for the SHORT TERM success of this team...which is what we should be concerned about right now.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Ehh, I hear what you are saying Ghost, but I dont necessarily agree. I would love Scutaro to come back as well. But 3 years is OD in my opinion. You and I know damn well he wont be an $8M player when he is 40.

Hes not an 8 mil player NOW. He was an old, mediocre MIF even at Coors before he came over. He had a historic 2nd half for us, but it wont continue. Giving a 3 year deal to a guy who will be 38 next season is idiotic. This is why i rag on Sabean all the time. He doesnt make smart decisions with money.

Yet, he's got 2 WS titles compared to however many you have as a GM. Just sayin....

ooohhh BURN!

Since hes been the GM, Sabean has made a vast array of terrible signings, and a few of the worst trades of the last decade. I shouldnt have to defend my reasons for critisizing him. Yes, we have won 2 WS in the 17 years hes been on the job. Yes, he gets credit for putting the pieces in place. No, the team/coaches winning the rings doesnt make him a smart, or above average GM. He makes alot of bad baseball moves regardless of outcome.

I wasn't criticizing you. Was just merely stating a fact. You choose to place the blame squarely on Sabean's shoulders for "pieces" that don't pan out, but you're unwilling to give him credit for those that have and led to our team winning 2 out of the last 3 world titles. In those instances, you credit the team and the coaches.

Signings that don't work out, Sabes fault (fair enough). Signings that do pan out, the coaches (that he hired) and the team (that he put together) get the real credit. If you see that as sound logic, so be it.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Dec 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM ]

Under the circumstances - Good job thus far, Do you think Brian is going to get a decent (whatever that means) hitter? Probably going over 140 million (etat) is what it's going to take.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

Under the circumstances - Good job thus far, Do you think Brian is going to get a decent (whatever that means) hitter? Probably going over 140 million (etat) is what it's going to take.

Decent? Maybe. I think Hairston is a possibility. I would get against Nick Swisher though as I think he would cost way more than the team wants to spend.
meh, we're only talking aobut an extra year on players that played a critical role in the world series run. It's a price you have to pay to keep those players around. Pagan, Affeldt, and scuts contract will not cripple the franchise like barry zito and aaron rowand.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
meh, we're only talking aobut an extra year on players that played a critical role in the world series run. It's a price you have to pay to keep those players around. Pagan, Affeldt, and scuts contract will not cripple the franchise like barry zito and aaron rowand.

In what way has our franchise been crippled since those two signings?
Share 49ersWebzone