There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Why does he have to be a "big thing?" He might just end up being a solid OF who can get on base (.374 OBP in the minors), steal some bags (almost 90 SBs in 2 full years) and cover a lot of ground in our cavernous outfield. This team is built around and for ball-players with those types of skills.

I've seen him play in person (about 10 games in total) and his speed is almost unreal; that quality alone will add value to this team either as a plus OF or as a pinch runner. There's a lot Brown could do for this team even if he never becomes a "big thing."

If he tears it up in the minors, whether it be defensively, on the base paths or offensively and showing that he can be a major league player.... then I am all for Gary Brown. (or any prospect for that matter)

He tore it up in high A in just about every category to the point where he was a top 50 prospect in all of baseball. More importantly, as you watched him play you could see that he was easily the best player on the field regardless of who he was playing...kid was a force of nature. He could hit a routine single up the middle and be sliding safely in to 2nd base before you even realized he had rounded the bag. And some of the catches he made in CF were highlight reel stuff. True, Cal League numbers can be inflated, but hitting .336/.407/.519 with 14 HRs, 54 stolen bags and a .925 OPS is absolutely tearing it up.

He had an "ok" year in the AA Eastern League (.279/.347 /385), which typically has a high number of top pitching prospects (our team alone had at least 3 legit major league prospects on its staff). And more precisely, he got off to a slow start but had a real strong second half. Not sure if anything he does in Fresno (even if he tears it up) will be much of an indicator...I personally think it's time to give him some big league ABs, but that's me.

I think that some of you are being just a little bid hard on Garcia about Gary Brown, but I also believe that Ghost makes some excellent points. One more positive from the signing of Angel Pagan (other than the fact that I think he is a very good centerfielder and excellent in our ballpark) is that it gives the Giants some more time to evaluate Brown. Like I said earlier, this is a key year for him. He needs to keep up to momentum from his 2nd half last year or I believe his value will significantly drop.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I agree. 4 years was absolutely a year too much but Upton's deal set the tone for what CFs were going to get. Also, there were too many teams in need of center fielders. It was the perfect storm for Pagan. Anyway, now the Giants have to get Marco signed and get another OF as well. My guess is the OF will come via a trade.

If only stupid T Plush was a righty...
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
It's PURELY hypothetical and extremely unlikely this would get Stanton, but would you trade the following:

Heath Hembree
Kyle Crick
Clayton Blackburn
Gary Brown
Hector Sanchez

I'd probably throw in another prospect, but no idea who.

Yes but Miami could do much better Sanchez isnt that great. Marginal. Brown would be expendale with the Pagan signing. Hembree wouldnt be that big of a deal to me. It would be tough to trade both Crick and Blackburn but I would do it to get Stanton
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Dec 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM ]
I thought Pagans deal was fair for both sides. No way was he going to sign a 3 year deal so 4 is better than 5. If he went somewhere else we could have very well been up s**t creek.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
It's PURELY hypothetical and extremely unlikely this would get Stanton, but would you trade the following:

Heath Hembree
Kyle Crick
Clayton Blackburn
Gary Brown
Hector Sanchez

no, thats too much for a player the marlins are gonna trade anyways. Plus i'd imagine we take on a big contract for the marlins as well

you gotta keep at least 1 of those pitching prospects if not 2

gotta keep

Since pitching has been the key to winning the title 2 out of the last 3 years, there's no way I trade 3 of my top young arms for a bat...ANY bat. I keep developing the pitching I already have and plug in enough hitting to get us in to the playoffs, where we've absolutely dominated!!!

That formula has worked and should put us in a position to reach the playoffs for years to come.

Come on Ghost. You would trade all of those guys in a heartbeat for Trout. And more.
The latest from Baggs...nothing earth shattering, but some interesting thoughts on what the Giants mindset is.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-san-francisco-giants/giants-talk/Scutaro-talks-continue-Giants-weigh-LF-o?blockID=809435&feedID=2796

Also, hearing that Bochy is getting personally involved in contacting Brian Wilson to talk to him about returning to the Giants. He understands that Wilson would like to test the market, but don't underestimate Bochy's personal leadership qualities in getting Wilson to return with an incentive based contract. We shall see...
Too much money for a guy like Pagan but the Giants really had few options. I am just glad they didnt spend 80 million on Bourn.

About 1 year and $10 million more than I would have liked, but if he continues to perform like he did last year he'll be worth it. Sadly, he's not the model for consistency.

I agree. 4 years was absolutely a year too much but Upton's deal set the tone for what CFs were going to get. Also, there were too many teams in need of center fielders. It was the perfect storm for Pagan. Anyway, now the Giants have to get Marco signed and get another OF as well. My guess is the OF will come via a trade.

I don't know, I can really see them signing Scott Hairston and platooning him with Blanco out in LF.
No Shane Victorino.

Heath Hembree
Kyle Crick
Clayton Blackburn
Gary Brown
Hector Sanchez

no, thats too much for a player the marlins are gonna trade anyways. Plus i'd imagine we take on a big contract for the marlins as well

gotta keep

Since pitching has been the key to winning the title 2 out of the last 3 years, there's no way I trade 3 of my top young arms for a bat...ANY bat. I keep developing the pitching I already have and plug in enough hitting to get us in to the playoffs, where we've absolutely dominated!!!

That formula has worked and should put us in a position to reach the playoffs for years to come.

Come on Ghost. You would trade all of those guys in a heartbeat for Trout. And more.

Trout is a once-in-a-generation type player, so yah, I would probably do that. But I would do that knowing I had almost no room for error in my pitching staff, and would likely pay the price for losing so much pitching talent. Again, the Giants have proved that great pitching can beat even the game's best hitting, so I would personally always lean towards keeping/acquiring game-changing arms as opposed to game-changing bats.

I mean, let's face it, the Giants as a lineup have almost no business in the playoffs, much less winning 2 world titles. It's their pitching that has made all the difference in the world, so we should guard that secret sauce with our life. Just my take.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Dec 3, 2012 at 6:23 PM ]

Heath Hembree
Kyle Crick
Clayton Blackburn
Gary Brown
Hector Sanchez

gotta keep

Trout is a once-in-a-generation type player, so yah, I would probably do that. But I would do that knowing I had almost no room for error in my pitching staff, and would likely pay the price for losing so much pitching talent. Again, the Giants have proved that great pitching can beat even the game's best hitting, so I would personally always lean towards keeping/acquiring game-changing arms as opposed to game-changing bats.

I get your point but Mike Trout or Mike Stanton are proven game changers right now. The players on this list are not even considered elite prospects at this point. None of them are sure things anyway. I would do that deal for Mike Stanton in a heartbeat. You would still have Stratton and really all of the non starters would be expendable.

Heath Hembree
Kyle Crick
Clayton Blackburn
Gary Brown
Hector Sanchez

gotta keep

I get your point but Mike Trout or Mike Stanton are proven game changers right now. The players on this list are not even considered elite prospects at this point. None of them are sure things anyway. I would do that deal for Mike Stanton in a heartbeat. You would still have Stratton and really all of the non starters would be expendable.

Cain wasn't considered an elite prospect either, but he's turned in to one of the all-time great pitchers in Giants history. This park is built for pitching, and I would even say it turns really good prospects into potentially great ones (much more room for error). So I'd keep building my team to reflect the dynamics of the park. I mean, we've won 2 world titles in 3 years with 2 has-beens in LF (Burrell, Ross) and 2 never-were's (Blanco and Nady). That tells me all I need to know about the right formula to win with AT&T as my home park.

I'd be the most hated GM in Giants history if I didn't pull the trigger on that deal...but in response, I'd find a way to cobble together just enough hitting to compliment my great pitching staff and keep winning titles.
Cain wasn't considered an elite prospect either, but he's turned in to one of the all-time great pitchers in Giants history. This park is built for pitching, and I would even say it turns really good prospects into potentially great ones (much more room for error). So I'd keep building my team to reflect the dynamics of the park. I mean, we've won 2 world titles in 3 years with 2 has-beens in LF (Burrell, Ross) and 2 never-were's (Blanco and Nady). That tells me all I need to know about the right formula to win with AT&T as my home park.

I'd be the most hated GM in Giants history if I didn't pull the trigger on that deal...but in response, I'd find a way to cobble together just enough hitting to compliment my great pitching staff and keep winning titles.

Wouldnt matter anyway Ghost. It wouldnt be anywhere near enough to get Stanton.

Wouldnt matter anyway Ghost. It wouldnt be anywhere near enough to get Stanton.

That's true too. We'd have to literally give away the farm to get Stanton.

No, the haters in here would still hate Sabean more, no matter what he does.
Originally posted by dcsham:

No, the haters in here would still hate Sabean more, no matter what he does.

You mean like you with Brandon Belt?
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com