There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

http://www.faketeams.com/fantasy-baseball-prospect-rankings/2012/10/17/3512566/early-2013-prospect-rankings-starting-pitching
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Dapro:
The Giants other than resigning their own players going to sign anyone this off season?

Jonny Gomes or Scott Hairston perhaps? I would love to get a LF with punch to platoon with Blanco and give us a RH hitter offf the bench. However, I'm not sure the Giants will have any money to spend if the resign Pagan and Scutaro.

Backload the contract? With Timmy and zito off after next year, that opens about 40 mil. Scuturo and pagan will match what we were paying huff and Rowand.
Originally posted by jrg:

http://www.faketeams.com/fantasy-baseball-prospect-rankings/2012/10/17/3512566/early-2013-prospect-rankings-starting-pitching

cardinals have some nice pitching talent.

Oh wellz about wheeler.
John Sickles Giants top 20 prospects 2013 1) Kyle Crick, RHP, Grade B+: There are a few control issues to address, but I'm a big fan of his stuff, size, fresh arm, and San Francisco's track record of developing similar prospects.

This is why I'm baffled the Giants didn't extend Angel Pagan a qualifying offer when it was clearly obvious Pagan is looking for a big pay day. The only reason we have Kyle Crick in our farm system is because the Giants offered Juan Uribe arbitration, but Juan Uribe chose to sign with the Dodgers. As a result, the Giant got a 1st round sandwich pick and with that pick the Giants drafted Kyle Crick. Not only has Juan Uribe been an albatross but because Ned Colleti 'poached Juan Uribe from us' we are able to get a prospect that now ranks #1 in the Giants farm system according to John Sickels. (Thank you Ned Colletti)

Tim Alderson came as a 1st round draft pick courtesy of losing Jason Schmidt to the Dodgers, although Alderson proved to be a bust, Sabean did trade him for Freddy Sanchez, who ended up playing a key role in the 2010 World Series Champion team. Once again thank you Ned Colleti

Charlie Culberson was the 51st pick of the 2007 draft due to losing Mike Stanton to the Reds, Sabean traded Sharon Martis to the Nats for Stanton in 2006 (Hated that trade at the time but 6 years later that trade is looking pretty good) Now Charlie Culberson is not likely to do squat in the Majors. It turned out Charlie Culberson was a very valuable prospect for us as Sabean traded him for Marco Scuturo. There is no way in hell we would have won the 2012 World Series title without Marco Scuturo.

These extra compensation picks are huge! Even if those draft picks don't pan out in the MLB level, they can be used as trade bait to get a player who can help us in the stretch run. Our #1 prospect according to John Sickels and two prospects we traded away to get Freddy Sanchez and Marco Scuturo who played key roles in the 2010 & 2012 World Series Title runs, we got because of having compensation picks in earlier drafts.

Although, I will refrain from being too critical but had we offered Angel Pagan a qualifying offer, he turned it down and signed else where, there would have been a good chance that would prospect would have been either a future San Francisco Giants or a key trading chip to trade for some one who could help us during a stretch run in a future season.
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
John Sickles Giants top 20 prospects 2013 1) Kyle Crick, RHP, Grade B+: There are a few control issues to address, but I'm a big fan of his stuff, size, fresh arm, and San Francisco's track record of developing similar prospects.

This is why I'm baffled the Giants didn't extend Angel Pagan a qualifying offer when it was clearly obvious Pagan is looking for a big pay day. The only reason we have Kyle Crick in our farm system is because the Giants offered Juan Uribe arbitration, but Juan Uribe chose to sign with the Dodgers. As a result, the Giant got a 1st round sandwich pick and with that pick the Giants drafted Kyle Crick. Not only has Juan Uribe been an albatross but because Ned Colleti 'poached Juan Uribe from us' we are able to get a prospect that now ranks #1 in the Giants farm system according to John Sickels. (Thank you Ned Colletti)

Tim Alderson came as a 1st round draft pick courtesy of losing Jason Schmidt to the Dodgers, although Alderson proved to be a bust, Sabean did trade him for Freddy Sanchez, who ended up playing a key role in the 2010 World Series Champion team. Once again thank you Ned Colleti

Charlie Culberson was the 51st pick of the 2007 draft due to losing Mike Stanton to the Reds, Sabean traded Sharon Martis to the Nats for Stanton in 2006 (Hated that trade at the time but 6 years later that trade is looking pretty good) Now Charlie Culberson is not likely to do squat in the Majors. It turned out Charlie Culberson was a very valuable prospect for us as Sabean traded him for Marco Scuturo. There is no way in hell we would have won the 2012 World Series title without Marco Scuturo.

These extra compensation picks are huge! Even if those draft picks don't pan out in the MLB level, they can be used as trade bait to get a player who can help us in the stretch run. Our #1 prospect according to John Sickels and two prospects we traded away to get Freddy Sanchez and Marco Scuturo who played key roles in the 2010 & 2012 World Series Title runs, we got because of having compensation picks in earlier drafts.

Although, I will refrain from being too critical but had we offered Angel Pagan a qualifying offer, he turned it down and signed else where, there would have been a good chance that would prospect would have been either a future San Francisco Giants or a key trading chip to trade for some one who could help us during a stretch run in a future season.

I couldn't agree with this man even more. Even if 13 mil is waaaay too much for Pagan, it would only be for one year. It would not break the Giants' piggy bank to overpay by 5 or 6 mil for one player for one year. And that is assuming that Pagan signs that offer. He will likely sign somewhere else and we would get a decent pick from that. It would've been a win-win for the team IMO.
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:

You could look at the Mike Stanton comp. pick in 2 ways. One one hand, we got Culberson, who we traded for Marco Scutaro, who basically carried us to a WS title. On the other hand, ironically, losing Mike Stanton the RP put us in a perfect spot to take Mike (Giancarlo) Stanton in that draft, and we selected Culberson instead.

I guess its a wash now, since technically Culberson netted us a guy who played a major role in winning another title. But it sure wouldve been nice to have traded something else for Scutaro, and instead had Giancarlo Stanton right now.
Originally posted by Niners99:
I always wait for Baseball America's list. imo its the most credible. Unfortunately they wont release the Giants top 10 until Jan. 30th

This was their list last year. Not all that credible to me. Adrianza is a complete bust and to have him in the top 10 and ahead of Sanchez was laughable. Also, anyone who has seen Surkamp knows this kid is not anything better than a #5 starter at BEST.

1)Gary Brown, OF
2.Tommy Joseph, 1B/C
3.Heath Hembree, RHP
4.Joe Panik, SS
5.Francisco Peguero, OF
6.Andrew Susac, C
7.Eric Surkamp, LHP
8.Kyle Crick, RHP
9.Ehire Adrianza, SS
10.Hector Sanchez, C

You cant just list the top 10 from last year and say "look how off they were", because its different today. Prospects change over the course of a year. Last year Eric Surkamp WAS in the Giants top 10. Everybody that did lists had him there. It doesnt mean hes great, it means the Giants didnt have a bunch of other guys who shouldve gone ahead of him. Unless you are a really highly touted prospect, you need to prove your worth in the minors first before you make top 10 lists. If a player is too raw, he isnt going to make the list, even over a guy like Surkamp.

A year later, guys reposition themselves on this list based on their 2012 season. Now guys like Blackburn have logged enough real minor league innings to qualify as a legit prospect, not just a guy to watch coming from short season or rookie ball. I dont have the subscription access anymore, but they do minor league scouting and coverage unlike any other website. Theyre the best in the business when it comes to providing in depth scouting articles for readers. I trust their scouting/writing more than most other sources.

If you want you can request a free issue of their monthly magazine as a trial. You wont be disappointed.
I always wait for Baseball America's list. imo its the most credible. Unfortunately they wont release the Giants top 10 until Jan. 30th

This was their list last year. Not all that credible to me. Adrianza is a complete bust and to have him in the top 10 and ahead of Sanchez was laughable. Also, anyone who has seen Surkamp knows this kid is not anything better than a #5 starter at BEST.

1)Gary Brown, OF
2.Tommy Joseph, 1B/C
3.Heath Hembree, RHP
4.Joe Panik, SS
5.Francisco Peguero, OF
6.Andrew Susac, C
7.Eric Surkamp, LHP
8.Kyle Crick, RHP
9.Ehire Adrianza, SS
10.Hector Sanchez, C

You cant just list the top 10 from last year and say "look how off they were", because its different today. Prospects change over the course of a year. Last year Eric Surkamp WAS in the Giants top 10. Everybody that did lists had him there. It doesnt mean hes great, it means the Giants didnt have a bunch of other guys who shouldve gone ahead of him. Unless you are a really highly touted prospect, you need to prove your worth in the minors first before you make top 10 lists. If a player is too raw, he isnt going to make the list, even over a guy like Surkamp.

A year later, guys reposition themselves on this list based on their 2012 season. Now guys like Blackburn have logged enough real minor league innings to qualify as a legit prospect, not just a guy to watch coming from short season or rookie ball. I dont have the subscription access anymore, but they do minor league scouting and coverage unlike any other website. Theyre the best in the business when it comes to providing in depth scouting articles for readers. I trust their scouting/writing more than most other sources.

If you want you can request a free issue of their monthly magazine as a trial. You wont be disappointed.

I paid for Baseball America for a couple of years and also chat with Jim Callis so I know what they are all about. All I am saying is their list isnt any better than this one . I actually thought this top prospect listing was pretty darn accurate.
I think Sabean should offer up Crick, Embree,, and Brown to Miami for Mike Stanton. Basically our 3 top prospects.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
I think Sabean should offer up Crick, Embree,, and Brown to Miami for Mike Stanton. Basically our 3 top prospects.

Would drink an entire gallon of milk in one sitting if this happened.
Originally posted by Garcia:

LOL At some point they are going to trade Staton and will want young cheap top prospects. I highly doubt the Giants would have enough to get a deal done but I would still offer it up

LOL At some point they are going to trade Staton and will want young cheap top prospects. I highly doubt the Giants would have enough to get a deal done but I would still offer it up

i would offer that deal for Stanton, John Buck (6.5 mill), Nolasco (9 mill), and that one marlins fan

No way in hell would Marlins owner turn that down
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Nov 18, 2012 at 5:47 PM ]
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
i would offer that deal for Stanton, John Buck (6.5 mill), Nolasco (9 mill), and that one marlins fan

Nolasco would be a nice back-end rotation addition.

If there is some way we can get Stanton with just prospect - wow. Do that s**t.
i dont really care about nolasco

just assuming the cheap ass owner would like to get rid of the contract
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Might be hard to include John Buck on that trade unless Selig voids the trade to Toronto.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com