LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 159 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Was thinking about the Giants CF situation. I just dont see them in the Bourne or Upton sweepstakes at all with the amount of money they are looking for. Look for them to go to Washington, Philly, or Atlanta.

If Pagan's asking price becomes too crazy and he goes elsewhere I think a possible solution would be a trade for Denard Span of Minnesota. He has a very reasonable long term deal in place and would be a terrific fit for our park. I just dont know what it would take to get him. No doubt the Twins would want pitching for him but not sure if they would go for prospects or not.

From what I gather from the Braves talks about Span is that they(Twins) want major league ready pitching

That would leave the Giants out then. Cant trade any starter and dont have prospects that are ready right now to be starters at the MLB level.
So quiet lately. Sabean must be either doing absolutely nothing or brewing a very controversial deal.
I was just thinking about the success the major sports cities have had in the last 30 some years with their NFL and MLB teams.

Out of all the cities that have both an NFL and MLB team, only New York City has more titles since 1980 than San Francisco. Considering football and baseball are the two major market sports, thats incredibly impressive. SF has 7 combined with the Niners and Giants. NYC has 9 between the Yankees and Giants.

NYC- 9
SF- 7
BOS- 5
STL- 4
LA- 4
DAL- 3
DC- 3
OAK- 2
DEN- 2
CHI- 2
MIL/GB- 2
MIN- 2
MIA- 2
BAL- 2
PHI- 2
PIT- 2
PHX- 1
KC- 1
DET- 1
CIN- 1
ATL- 1
TB- 1
SEA- 0
SD- 0
HOU- 0
CLE- 0
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
So quiet lately. Sabean must be either doing absolutely nothing or brewing a very controversial deal.

Its quiet all across MLB.

stanton

Typical Brian. When you least expect it, he comes up with something. Love to see Stanton come on board. Don't know where in the outfield he would play though.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

Typical Brian. When you least expect it, he comes up with something. Love to see Stanton come on board. Don't know where in the outfield he would play though.

LOL Left field would be Stanton's new home. I doubt it ever happens but Sabean should be exploring the possibility.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

LOL Left field would be Stanton's new home. I doubt it ever happens but Sabean should be exploring the possibility.

Stanton, Pagan, Pence =

Never gonna happen though.
Take Jonny Gomes off your wish list Ninerjohn
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS #redsox and jonny gomes are talking about a 2-year deal, confirmed. @ScottLauber reported close.
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS #redsox and jonny gomes are talking about a 2-year deal, confirmed. @ScottLauber reported close.

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Tell DC that I guess it DID take more than some home discount 1 year deal to get Gomes. Which... I knew it would.

Tell DC that I guess it DID take more than some home discount 1 year deal to get Gomes. Which... I knew it would.

He would have been a nice option for cheap but probably not going to happen. The Giants should re-sign Pagan (and all of us are fully aware that we will probably overpay, but that's MLB in this world) and then Sabean will need to look to find a platoon partner with Blanco. I'm confident he will get it done.
Originally posted by dcsham:

He would have been a nice option for cheap but probably not going to happen. The Giants should re-sign Pagan (and all of us are fully aware that we will probably overpay, but that's MLB in this world) and then Sabean will need to look to find a platoon partner with Blanco. I'm confident he will get it done.

Looks like Gomes is getting a 2 year deal from 8-10 million. That is even higher than I thought he would get. I expected 2 years for 6 million.
Just a quick Thanksgiving shout out to all of my friends on this thread...rubber, john, stalyn, axe, pdzio, garcia, 99 (and any others that I might have missed)...we argue/fight/agree/get mad/laugh etc. etc. etc. but this is still my favorite thread on this site and I always enjoy talking Giants with all of you.

I hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving and that you and your families are blessed with a great holiday season and a healthy, happy, and prosporous 2013.

BTW Rubber, I have two Rogue Pumpkin Ales ready to go for tomorrow
Looks like Gomes is getting a 2 year deal from 8-10 million. That is even higher than I thought he would get. I expected 2 years for 6 million.

2 for 8/10 is just too much for me. I would have hesitated giving him more that one year. Just too inconsistent.
Share 49ersWebzone