There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

I'm not sure how I feel about the Nick Swisher rumors....
My opinion of Brian Sabean prior to 2010: He has made questionable move after questionable move. He made more terrible trades than good ones. He signed more bad players to contracts that exceeded their value than good players to contracts that were less than their value. He wasted Barry Bonds' career by not putting enough pieces around him. He wasted 2 years of elite pitching by not putting enough good hitters around it. He doesnt have the slightest clue how to draft hitting prospects, which means he is an average talent evaluator when coupled with his ability to draft pitching prospects. He was as big of a problem as anything else with this team.

My opinion of Brian Sabean now: Everything I wrote above is completely moot after winning 2 World Series Championships in the last 3 years. While I may question some of his moves going forward, he has now earned the benefit of the doubt for the foreseeable future.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Nov 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM ]
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
My opinion of Brian Sabean prior to 2010: He has made questionable move after questionable move. He made more terrible trades than good ones. He signed more bad players to contracts that exceeded their value than good players to contracts that were less than their value. He wasted Barry Bonds' career by not putting enough pieces around him. He wasted 2 years of elite pitching by not putting enough good hitters around it. He doesnt have the slightest clue how to draft hitting prospects, which means he is an average talent evaluator when coupled with his ability to draft pitching prospects. He was as big of a problem as anything else with this team.

My opinion of Brian Sabean now: Everything I wrote above is completely moot after winning 2 World Series Championships in the last 3 years. While I may question some of his moves going forward, he has now earned the benefit of the doubt for the foreseeable future.

I think that is pretty much the same for me. I think he was below average as a GM prior to 2010. Free agency was his biggest weakness for sure. Now, he DOES get a pass and he DID do a very good job in 2010 and 2012. He would get an A+++++ if not for the Wheeler deal. Now, he just gets an A. As for foreseeable future... well he gets a pass for 2013. I cant commit beyond that.

I agree with this. Pissed me off plenty of times but only once lately...I won't mention it.

He gets a pass now because he drafted the right pitchers and picked up the right guys to win the WS, twice.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

I agree with this. Pissed me off plenty of times but only once lately...I won't mention it.

He gets a pass now because he drafted the right pitchers and picked up the right guys to win the WS, twice.

Admit it, you didnt want Culberson to be traded.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Admit it, you didnt want Culberson to be traded.

I will say he turned out to be quite a valuable prospect in a farm system earlier this season even though it's doubtful he will ever do squat at the MLB level.
Signed Affeldt to a 3/$18. Not terrible I guess, but still somewhat annoying for a 31 year old middle reliever.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Signed Affeldt to a 3/$18. Not terrible I guess, but still somewhat annoying for a 31 year old middle reliever.

dude is dominant and its only $1 Million per year raise from previous contract

After what he has done in the postseason for the team, I am all for it. Brandon League's contract is partly to blame for it though.

I think the Giants really needed to bring Affeldt back. If this was a 2 year deal for 13 or so we would be jumping for joy so I wont worry about another 5. Wish it would have been 2 yrs plus club option but League;s deal really did make it likely that Jeremy would get 3 years.
saw this from my friend during the parade..... some dude is gardening!

[ Edited by schmons on Nov 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I think the Giants really needed to bring Affeldt back. If this was a 2 year deal for 13 or so we would be jumping for joy so I wont worry about another 5. Wish it would have been 2 yrs plus club option but League;s deal really did make it likely that Jeremy would get 3 years.

Agreed! I'm glad Affeldt has resigned. The Dodgers screwed things up with the League contract which meant Affeldt was guaranteed to get a 3 year deal some where. Like you I'm not going to worry about an overpay of 1/5M.
Originally posted by schmons:
saw this from my friend during the parade..... some dude is gardening!

LOL
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com