There are 153 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tiger Woods Thread

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I said maybe one of the best. You think accuracy is so important now? Joe Durant is #1 in accuracy. Joe f**king Durant. LOL

However, Id be more than happen to stay out of your Tiger Woods Shrine Thread if you stay out of the Giants thread.

Maybe one of the best? Rory is playing sensational golf but to compare him to the best ever is absurd...he's not even in the top 10 ever and not even better than Tiger... 2006 Tiger>>> 2014 rory and it's not close

AND btw this is the tiger Woods thread so the topic of this thread will stay that way..as for the Giants thread I'll come in there and join the hatefest of their front office

In YOUR opinion he isnt. Tiger never drove the ball as long and straight as Rory when Rory is on his game. Tiger's biggest weakness in his game ( and really the only one) was his driving of the golf ball. I seriously doubt anyone would say that about McIlroy.

But whatever. My guess is that in the end Rory will pass Tiger for total Major wins. 10 years from now he should be around 14 or so. Then we can continue the debate.
In YOUR opinion he isnt. Tiger never drove the ball as long and straight as Rory when Rory is on his game. Tiger's biggest weakness in his game ( and really the only one) was his driving of the golf ball. I seriously doubt anyone would say that about McIlroy.

But whatever. My guess is that in the end Rory will pass Tiger for total Major wins. 10 years from now he should be around 14 or so. Then we can continue the debate.

No its a fact that Rory isnt in the top 10 ever....what about Jones, hogan, snead, nicklaus, palmer, Sarazen, hagen, player, vardon, Watson?

I'm not saying that Rory isnt a rare talent because I do agree that he is the future of this game. However hes still very early in his career and we've all seen how quickly someone can fall apart

No its a fact that Rory isnt in the top 10 ever....what about Jones, hogan, snead, nicklaus, palmer, Sarazen, hagen, player, vardon, Watson?

I'm not saying that Rory isnt a rare talent because I do agree that he is the future of this game. However hes still very early in his career and we've all seen how quickly someone can fall apart

Dude. I never said he was top 10 PLAYER of all time. I said he MIGHT be one of the best DRIVERS of the golf ball. This is an easy concept. Not many guys have hit the ball over 300 yards every time out with the consistency that he has.
These Irish announcers (especially during the British Open) try and make you believe that Rory can walk on water. On the 15th or 16th when Rory had a 10-15 yard putt for birdie the announcer (Irish) says not in a million years will Rory leave it short, of course he left it short. Rory is definitely #1 in the world but let him get richer with all the entrapment's of fame and let's see if his game stays together. I miss Tiger.
Dude. I never said he was top 10 PLAYER of all time. I said he MIGHT be one of the best DRIVERS of the golf ball. This is an easy concept. Not many guys have hit the ball over 300 yards every time out with the consistency that he has.

You said he's the best driver of the ball..maybe ever

Over the past month? Yes

Career or ever? No and he's not in the discussion..is that easy enough for you to understand?

You said he's the best driver of the ball..maybe ever

Over the past month? Yes

Career or ever? No and he's not in the discussion..is that easy enough for you to understand?

And you are having a real tough time with reading comprehension today. Both in here and in the Giants thread. I believe he will be a top 10 player with more majors than anyone with the possible exception of Jack and Tiger. Or more. But I never called him a top 10 player now.

IN MY OPINION.. he is a dominating driver of the golf ball and maybe one of the best I have seen. He dominates with the driver more than anyone I can remember since Nicklaus. Now, if you disagree marvelous. I dont give a f**k.
And you are having a real tough time with reading comprehension today. Both in here and in the Giants thread. I believe he will be a top 10 player with more majors than anyone with the possible exception of Jack and Tiger. Or more. But I never called him a top 10 player now.

IN MY OPINION.. he is a dominating driver of the golf ball and maybe one of the best I have seen. He dominates with the driver more than anyone I can remember since Nicklaus. Now, if you disagree marvelous. I dont give a f**k.

That wasn't your original statement so once again you're wrong and if you think rory is the best driver of the ball since Nicklaus then you must've not watched very much golf

That wasn't your original statement so once again you're wrong and if you think rory is the best driver of the ball since Nicklaus then you must've not watched very much golf

Ive watched more golf than you Im sure just because of the age difference and I have seen every great golfer out there since Jack. And.. my original statement was that he maybe the best driver. Not that he WAS.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Aug 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM ]
Ok John we're on the same page finally

John would you agree that total driving is a better measure than just distance or accuracy?
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by TheSilverFox1971:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Tiger will never win another major.

I tend to agree with this......my only hesitation is I could see one more Masters falling in his lap. Hangs around, some guys falter, one last flash of brilliance. No way he catches Jack.

Like many I became a big Tiger Woods fan early in his career. I was psyched with every shot. I probably wouldn't have watched golf if he weren't there. I never lost enthusiasm these last 6 years when he battled injuries and swing changes. When golf writers and commentators start going over the litany of injuries the last 10-15 years I'm finally coming to the realization we won't see that player again. Watch Tom Watson's swing, it's effortless, he's still playing into his 60's. If Tiger makes it into his 40's it will be an accomplishment.

I don't know whether Tiger will win another major or not, but is safe to say his time is over and I agree no way will be surpass Jack. People can talk all they want about his 5 PGA wins last year, but when it comes to the majors he is nowhere to be seen, injured or otherwise. The truth is the new wave of young golfers have finally arrived, they are strong, aggressive and consistent. If you want to root for the next American golfer, Rickie Fowler is the guy.
Ok John we're on the same page finally

John would you agree that total driving is a better measure than just distance or accuracy?

I would because the long hitters dominate the game now. Guys like Rory and Adam Scott can murder the ball and even if they dont hit the fairway still hit the greens with short irons. Almost all of the top players in the world are big hitters. Furyk is the one big exception that I can think of off the top. Just accuracy alone doesnt tell the story

I also tend to look at what guys do in the biggest events. Lots of guys can drive it well in the John Deere classic but not in the Majors. Would be interesting to see those stats in just the Majors, WGC, and Players.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Aug 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:

I tend to agree with this......my only hesitation is I could see one more Masters falling in his lap. Hangs around, some guys falter, one last flash of brilliance. No way he catches Jack.

Like many I became a big Tiger Woods fan early in his career. I was psyched with every shot. I probably wouldn't have watched golf if he weren't there. I never lost enthusiasm these last 6 years when he battled injuries and swing changes. When golf writers and commentators start going over the litany of injuries the last 10-15 years I'm finally coming to the realization we won't see that player again. Watch Tom Watson's swing, it's effortless, he's still playing into his 60's. If Tiger makes it into his 40's it will be an accomplishment.

I don't know whether Tiger will win another major or not, but is safe to say his time is over and I agree no way will be surpass Jack. People can talk all they want about his 5 PGA wins last year, but when it comes to the majors he is nowhere to be seen, injured or otherwise. The truth is the new wave of young golfers have finally arrived, they are strong, aggressive and consistent. If you want to root for the next American golfer, Rickie Fowler is the guy.

I dont think Tiger will beat Jack either but you simply cant judge him by this year given the injuries. Also, people did say that Nicklaus would never with another for many years and then he stepped up and won the Masters at 46. I think Tiger wins one or 2 more and I dont think you can say his time is over unless you mean the dominating times. Too many examples of guys who have won majors in their 40s. Hell, with some luck Phil would have won today.
Wow....I go away for a run and a spirited written debate breaks out.

Heck of a final round. Rory certainly seems to be the clear world #1. Tiger is done, I think one more Masters might fall into his lap but the dominance is long gone and so is the intimidation factor. No way he passes Jack.

Rory has the game to pass both Tiger and Jack but there are a lot of pitfalls out there to surpass the Golden Bear. It's possible but only time will tell.

Next up the Ryder Cup. The US will certainly be a heavy underdog to reclaim the cup. Who know if Tiger even plays.

I also read Kuchar's back is hurting.
Originally posted by Rascal:

I dont think Tiger will beat Jack either but you simply cant judge him by this year given the injuries. Also, people did say that Nicklaus would never with another for many years and then he stepped up and won the Masters at 46. I think Tiger wins one or 2 more and I dont think you can say his time is over unless you mean the dominating times. Too many examples of guys who have won majors in their 40s. Hell, with some luck Phil would have won today.

Let me qualify my statement. Yes, Phil could have won today and Tiger may or may not win another major or two. What I meant by Tiger's time is over doesn't just pertain to his dominant times, I believe we will not be seeing him in the top 5 or even top 10 as far as majors go on a consistent basis. In other words, gone are the times when we can almost automatically assume and expect to see his name amongst the top of the leaderboard. I think my point is on consistency. If you can't put yourself into the mix if you will, you just don't have much of a chance.
http://espn.go.com/golf/rydercup14/story/_/id/11350102/tiger-woods-pulls-ryder-cup-consideration-cites-back-injury