There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tiger Woods Thread

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
So what constitutes regularly winning majors? 3 a year?

No s**t. lol
Another disappointing showing by Tiger. His driver has faltered. How many 90 foot putts for birdie did he have in the last round.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Another disappointing showing by Tiger. His driver has faltered. How many 90 foot putts for birdie did he have in the last round.

I think he hit his driver once all week so it certainly wasnt hit driver that faltered. He just didnt his approach shots close enough to make enough birdies. That is why he lost.
Heard commentary that Tiger's posture at address was off, and it looked to me that he started opening up his putting stance - similar to how it was before he got the impromptu tip/lesson from Stricker.
So what constitutes regularly winning majors? 3 a year?

Since we're talking about Tiger if he doesn't win a major in a given year that years a bust.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think he hit his driver once all week so it certainly wasnt hit driver that faltered. He just didnt his approach shots close enough to make enough birdies. That is why he lost.

The point is he doesn't use his driver. He's lost trust and that's one less weapon in his bag.

The point is he doesn't use his driver. He's lost trust and that's one less weapon in his bag.

Phil didn't have driver in his bag either and won the Tournament. Does it mean Mickelson has lost confidence in his driver as well?

Some courses don't call for certain clubs for certain players. They made a conscience decision that it was more important to have an extra wedge in the bag rather than a driver. Tough to tell if it was a good call (Phil) or bad call (Tiger) based solely on victory and loss. It could have worked out the same (or better or worse). Who knows?
Tiger needs a little coaching. he needs to be critiqued from someone. He is amazing the 1st 2 rounds then the last 2 he just folds. I think its too many distractions
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Phil didn't have driver in his bag either and won the Tournament. Does it mean Mickelson has lost confidence in his driver as well?

Some courses don't call for certain clubs for certain players. They made a conscience decision that it was more important to have an extra wedge in the bag rather than a driver. Tough to tell if it was a good call (Phil) or bad call (Tiger) based solely on victory and loss. It could have worked out the same (or better or worse). Who knows?

Using a driver at the Open does not work on most of the par fours, even par fives. The point is that Tiger has lost confidence in his driver in most every tournament he enters. After the Open I've come to the opinion that his decline is purely physical. His shot selection and hunger for the game are evident but the toll on his body has brought him back to field.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Tiger needs a little coaching. he needs to be critiqued from someone. He is amazing the 1st 2 rounds then the last 2 he just folds. I think its too many distractions

Too many women lined up.

Using a driver at the Open does not work on most of the par fours, even par fives. The point is that Tiger has lost confidence in his driver in most every tournament he enters. After the Open I've come to the opinion that his decline is purely physical. His shot selection and hunger for the game are evident but the toll on his body has brought him back to field.

I completely disagree. Tiger has won 4 times on tour this year and is smoking his 3 iron about 270 yards. Yes, he has had a few injuries but I dont see his failure to win majors caused by purely physical decline as you called it. I believe its a mental thing with Tiger because he puts SO much pressure on himself in majors. How else would you explain the fact that he is great in the first 2 rounds of majors and then been below average on the weekends? IN my opinion, he wants it so much that it affects his play.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

Too many women lined up.

Not enough. He played better when he had a woman in every city.

I completely disagree. Tiger has won 4 times on tour this year and is smoking his 3 iron about 270 yards. Yes, he has had a few injuries but I dont see his failure to win majors caused by purely physical decline as you called it. I believe its a mental thing with Tiger because he puts SO much pressure on himself in majors. How else would you explain the fact that he is great in the first 2 rounds of majors and then been below average on the weekends? IN my opinion, he wants it so much that it affects his play.

This.

I seem to remember that in his last tournament before this, they showed his driving stats, and he was waaaay up near the top. Not the best,but certainly in the top 20% or so.

His problem is definitely the weekends of Majors - Psychological issues for whatever reason. He needs to go old school and revisit whatever it was that gave him the edge before. He needs to get his temper back under control. Instead of letting a bad result bother him, he needs to adopt the "rub of the green" philosophy.

I would also love to see him interact with Joe LaCava more during the round. Your Caddy is part of your team (your only resource out there) and should know your swing and mental game as well as anybody on the Planet. If the Caddy sees/knows something is off, he should be able to pull you aside and at least discuss what he sees. I don't know if Tiger will do that during anything other than range time. Too bad.
@ Ninerjohn, just thought you might enjoy this clip. Bottomline, I don't know what the answer is for Tiger, but I do agree with one of the tweets, ever since he fired Butch Harmon he just hasn't been the same. He needs to go back to Butch in my opinion. But, to the subject of the clip, I really have serious doubt that he can do it especially not with his current mental game. Although Stephen A is not a golf expert, but in my opinion he is spot on.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9498680
Originally posted by Rascal:
@ Ninerjohn, just thought you might enjoy this clip. Bottomline, I don't know what the answer is for Tiger, but I do agree with one of the tweets, ever since he fired Butch Harmon he just hasn't been the same. He needs to go back to Butch in my opinion. But, to the subject of the clip, I really have serious doubt that he can do it especially not with his current mental game. Although Stephen A is not a golf expert, but in my opinion he is spot on.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9498680

I agree with what they say. I have posted in here that I dont think Tiger will break Jack's record. However, that does not mean that he is simply an OK or simply good player like you described him. Tiger Woods is still a great golfer, #1 in the world, and capable of winning any tournament he enters. Think about it.. Phil is considered by most to be one of the top 10 golfers of all time yet he has just 5 Majors. Tiger would need to win 5 MORE at an age when most golfers are lucky to win 1.

Tiger has as much physical ability right now that anyone, can still hit the ball a country mile, is as good of an iron player as there is, and has the drive. What he also has, however, is the pressure he puts on himself in the majors and that is holding him back. There is no game in the world where the mind and the pressure can affect your game like golf. He somehow needs to get the fun back in playing golf and not focus on the chase to Jacks record.