LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Tiger Woods Thread

I would be surprised if Tiger ever gets to 18 majors now. His performance this week was just awful and I think the longer he goes without a major the more pressure he puts on himself.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I would be surprised if Tiger ever gets to 18 majors now. His performance this week was just awful and I think the longer he goes without a major the more pressure he puts on himself.

his short game is a joke at the moment...so many chip shots and putts left f**king short
Golf analyst on ESPN radio this morning said Tiger puts to much pressure on himself to reach Jack's majors record that he cant be clutch anymore. He still wins tourney's, putts like a bawse, then shows up at the majors and caves to pressure. Thats what used to set him apart, making the clutch putts in majors. Now he cant do it. Dont know if true, but makes sense.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Golf analyst on ESPN radio this morning said Tiger puts to much pressure on himself to reach Jack's majors record that he cant be clutch anymore. He still wins tourney's, putts like a bawse, then shows up at the majors and caves to pressure. Thats what used to set him apart, making the clutch putts in majors. Now he cant do it. Dont know if true, but makes sense.

ESPN has no business discussing golf until they hire somebody worth a s**t to talk about golf....Bob Harig and Tim Wojwhateverthef**k are retarded
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

I think it makes a lot of sense and is exactly what I believe to be the case. He wants that Majors record so much that he is putting way too much pressure on himself. If he just treated them like any other tourney I believe he would play much better.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
This is a stupid question, but does anyone think he was taking PEDs in his prime?
Originally posted by FL9er:
This is a stupid question, but does anyone think he was taking PEDs in his prime?

Could be.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Could be.

Yep. No way to know for sure.

Well at least you made yourself clear...

2000- 10 wins/ 20 starts 3 majors with a 5th place finish in the only major he didn't win the Masters. (includes the most dominant performance in a Major ever at 2000 U.S. Open)

2001- 5 wins/19 starts including completion of the Grand Slam in a calendar year with a Masters victory...also includes a 5 tournament stretch where he shot a combined 76 under par..4 wins and 3rd place finish

2002- 5 wins/18 starts including 2 majors (Masters repeat and Bethpage) and a runner up at the PGA..however in 20 starts he placed in the Top 10 - 15 times and Top 5- 13 times.

Stats- Driving (1st in 2000, 39th in 2001, 11th in 2002)
Driving Distance: 295 average for all 3 years
Greens (1st in 2000, 5th in 2001, 1st in 2002)
Scoring (1st all 3 years obviously)

Broken down into the 2 best stretches of his career

2005- 6 wins/21 starts (Masters chip-in, British Open) runner up at the US Open and Top 5 at the PGA, 13 Top 10 finishes
2006- Holy f**k.....8 wins/15 starts (British, PGA, Top 5 at the Masters) included a 7 tournament win streak one of the greatest stretches in Professional golf
2007- 7 wins/16 starts (PGA Championship)

Stats- Driving-( 2005 86th, 2006 28th, 2007 45th)
Driving Distance- 307 average all 3 years
Greens-( 2005 6th, 1st 2006, 1st 2007)
Scoring- (1st all 3 years obviously)

TL;DR: While he gained 12 yards off the tee over this a span of 8 seasons here's some food for thought

1. His stats in 2000 were absurd under the coaching of Butch Harmon which emphasized iron play and hitting the fairway since he couldn't find the fairway to save his life when he was younger. so he hit many more irons off the tee since the technology of the Driver hadn't caught up the bladed irons yet.

2. Around 2004 he revamped hs swing and focused on power and hitting more woods off the tee while finding the fairway under Hank Haney so obviously his distance would increase off the tee. The exception being the 2006 British in which he hit iron off the tee all tournament long making the field look stupid.

3. He actually started hitting the gym hard under Hank Haney once he realized he couldn't swing wild/whippy off the tee like did in 2000 so of course he got stronger..His knee problems arose from his younger swing which locked up the knee while dipping through the swing for power.

Anyways thats all the effort I'm putting in this for now but to me the answer for his result in these segements was leading the Tour in GIR and putting which is something he hasn't done lately = No majors
[ Edited by sincalfaithful on Jun 25, 2013 at 1:32 PM ]
Sin.. thats a lot of work to do to basically not be able to answer his question. He did not ask.. do you think PEDS helped Tiger win? He simply asked whether Tiger was taking PEDs in his prime. I think the correct answer is..............could have or there is no way to really know. I doubt that you know with 100% certainty that Tiger didnt take anything to help in his recovery or his strength. I dont think he did but again there is simply no way to know for sure.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Sin.. thats a lot of work to do to basically not be able to answer his question. He did not ask.. do you think PEDS helped Tiger win? He simply asked whether Tiger was taking PEDs in his prime. I think the correct answer is..............could have or there is no way to really know. I doubt that you know with 100% certainty that Tiger didnt take anything to help in his recovery or his strength. I dont think he did but again there is simply no way to know for sure.

to which my answer was no
I never thought he would stop at 14 and not make it to 18. But it seems the injuries mount, the game is not the same as his prime, he seems to not be getting it back and the mind does not appear to be right. He can't shut it all out and have no pressure and just be clutch like he was in the past. I like others have real doubts he will ever reach the Nicholas 18. It was not even in close to in doubt a few years ago. It seemed a forgone conclussion. It was just a matter of when but not if he would break it. I now think it's real possible he won't break it. In fact very likely he won't. That's quite a turnaround.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jul 3, 2013 at 4:00 AM ]
5 years and counting. Will this be the week that Tiger breaks the streak? I doubt it but hopefully he is in the hunt.
Anybody staying up for this? I hate this s**t being on the other side of the world.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Anybody staying up for this? I hate this s**t being on the other side of the world.

Tiger doesn't tee off till 6:45 our time
Share 49ersWebzone