Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012 AL WEST CHAMPS Oakland A's Regular Season Thread

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
CSN California Breaking News: A's acquire CF Chris Young from Diamondbacks http://vbs.cm/50E2mW Text STOP to quit, HELP for info

He is great if you like .220 hitters who strike out a ton.

Sounds like 75% of the A's players on the roster already lol

Seriously though.. he has good speed, power, plays great defense and has a great arm. Considering all we gave up is Cliff Pennington and a struggling minor league player I don't think its a bad trade at all.

We just already had a crowded OF and now its even more crowded. Cespy, Crisp, Reddick, Young, Seth Smith, and I guess we won't resign Gomes now :/

I've never liked Young. I remember having a debate with Niners99 who tried to tell me that Young was better than Jay Bruce. I still laugh at that one.

That was for fantasy baseball, and we had that argument right before the 2011 season, when Young was coming off a 94 R, 27 HR, 98 RBI, 28 SB, .257 season.

But nice try on attempting to twist the story so you could talk crap. Or maybe youre just at that age where your memory just isnt the sharpest?

LOL Chris Young has never been the player Bruce is. You were wrong but getting you to ever admit that is impossible. There isnt a manager in baseball nor a fantasy baseball owner that would have ever taken Chris Young ahead of Bruce.. Well - maybe you of course.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I wanted.that bay bridge world series

Better luck next year.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I wanted.that bay bridge world series

Better luck next year.

Good young team that has a lot of room for improvement. Beane said they're willing to spend more money this year and we've seen Wolff spending up to 80 mill (ya that's pretty sad, huh?) In the past. Were at like 55 or 60 right now

I'm excited
WE GOT VERLANDER BACK FOR YA GUYS
Is everyone still too depressed to start an offseason thread?
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalfan21:
I thought about it after the Chris Young trade... I clicked new thread and then typed in Oakland A's off season thread..then i was like f**k that maybe later lol
Originally posted by socalfan21:
I thought about it after the Chris Young trade... I clicked new thread and then typed in Oakland A's off season thread..then i was like f**k that maybe later lol

Maybe once the Winter Meetings start in December.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDDieO:

I'm 99% sure it won't be but hopefully the A's stadium is on their agenda

I'm 99% sure it won't be but hopefully the A's stadium is on their agenda

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this where we're at on the SJ stadium saga?)

-The Giants won't even entertain talks of territorial rights.
- If that's the case, MLB will likely stay out of it. As forcing the Giants hand would create a huge legal battle that could last quite a while.
-So....the best case scenario FOR US is...for Wolff and Fisher to sell the club. Preferably to someone that will keep the team in the East Bay.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
(Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this where we're at on the SJ stadium saga?)

-The Giants won't even entertain talks of territorial rights.
- If that's the case, MLB will likely stay out of it. As forcing the Giants hand would create a huge legal battle that could last quite a while.
-So....the best case scenario FOR US is...for Wolff and Fisher to sell the club. Preferably to someone that will keep the team in the East Bay.

Ya pretty much
Lew Wolff wants something he legally can't have and is being stubborn and stupid about it

Giants' owners are being selfish though. The Giants were on the verge of moving to Tampa Bay till the A's owners gave them the territorial rights for free. Now the Giants are screwing the A's by not even negotiating with them.

Bud Selig isn't doing his job either. He wants the 2 teams to work it out, its been 3 years and nothing has changed. Why won't he do something
[ Edited by ImaMod on Oct 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM ]
Ya pretty much
Lew Wolff wants something he legally can't have and is being stubborn and stupid about it

Giants' owners are being selfish though. The Giants were on the verge of moving to Tampa Bay till the A's owners gave them the territorial rights for free. Now the Giants are screwing the A's by not even negotiating with them.

Bud Selig isn't doing his job either. He wants the 2 teams to work it out, its been 3 years and nothing has changed. Why won't he do something

Lol, the A's have been second fiddle in Oakland forever. It's a Raider town, if you can call it that when the fans there can't even sell out the smallest stadium in the NFL. Front running fans for both the A's and the Raiders...always have been, always will be. Only the Warriors draw, and that's because they are still associated with San Francisco (and will soon move back there and change their name back to the San Francisco Warriors just like they were before).

The bay is San Francisco, that's the way it is and the way it always will be. Don't mean to be a downer for you, but you know that's the way it is. The A's like to use the Giants territorial rights thing as an excuse. Go out and build a stadium just like the Giants did and the 49ers are doing. Find a spot in the east bay where you have the territory. Either way, no chance MLB will EVER side against the Giants who bring huge revenue by selling out their stadium every night and provide postcard shots of San Francisco during every national game...it just won't happen.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dcsham:
Lol, the A's have been second fiddle in Oakland forever. It's a Raider town, if you can call it that when the fans there can't even sell out the smallest stadium in the NFL. Front running fans for both the A's and the Raiders...always have been, always will be. Only the Warriors draw, and that's because they are still associated with San Francisco (and will soon move back there and change their name back to the San Francisco Warriors just like they were before).

The bay is San Francisco, that's the way it is and the way it always will be. Don't mean to be a downer for you, but you know that's the way it is. The A's like to use the Giants territorial rights thing as an excuse. Go out and build a stadium just like the Giants did and the 49ers are doing. Find a spot in the east bay where you have the territory. Either way, no chance MLB will EVER side against the Giants who bring huge revenue by selling out their stadium every night and provide postcard shots of San Francisco during every national game...it just won't happen.

Ya..but Lew Wolff is too stubborn to do this
Oakland and companies around there were literally begging him to build a new stadium in Jack London Square. I'd love it if they did that but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. Wolff is such a douche. Jack London square is pretty damn nice with all the water around and everything, Im pretty sure they could build a nice stadium there but our s**tty owners want them out of Oakland.

And I never said Oakland is superior to San Francisco. I just said the Giants were about to move to Tampa Bay before the A's handed them the territorial rights for free. What a stupid move by Walter Haas..

The A's lease in their current stadium expires after this year.. it'll be interesting to see what happens and how long they extend it
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Pretty good interview with Billy Beane

http://www.athleticsnation.com/2012/10/25/3553788/still-playing-moneyball-an-exclusive-interview-with-billy-beane

I dont know how an A's fan can't like this guy. Sticking with the A's with those cheap ass owners and still somehow making us competetive even though he has to start from scratch every 4 years. Gotta love Beane
Ya..but Lew Wolff is too stubborn to do this
Oakland and companies around there were literally begging him to build a new stadium in Jack London Square. I'd love it if they did that but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. Wolff is such a douche. Jack London square is pretty damn nice with all the water around and everything, Im pretty sure they could build a nice stadium there but our s**tty owners want them out of Oakland.

And I never said Oakland is superior to San Francisco. I just said the Giants were about to move to Tampa Bay before the A's handed them the territorial rights for free. What a stupid move by Walter Haas..

The A's lease in their current stadium expires after this year.. it'll be interesting to see what happens and how long they extend it

I think a downtown stadium in Oakland would be fantastic, but it will just never happen with this current ownership group and the political climate in the city of Oakland. The A's will have to be creative and look for something else down the 680/880 corridor but I don't have even a thought that Wolff is willing to work at it.
Pretty good interview with Billy Beane

http://www.athleticsnation.com/2012/10/25/3553788/still-playing-moneyball-an-exclusive-interview-with-billy-beane

I dont know how an A's fan can't like this guy. Sticking with the A's with those cheap ass owners and still somehow making us competetive even though he has to start from scratch every 4 years. Gotta love Beane
Beane gets more positive press for doing nothing than any GM in baseball...I'm sure you know I've said that before. But he did a great job this year; in fact, I think this was his best job as a GM. Seems like every move he made worked, so the credit for the A's winning this year certainly is due to him and to Bob Melvin as well, who I think is a fantastic manager.