There are 49 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Official 2011-12 Oakland Athletics Offseason Thread

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jigga:
This.

But it would take a TON of private money in order to build a new park in Oakland. The City of Oakland has had small discussions regarding an entirely new "Coliseum City"...but I just don't see the taxpayers of Alameda County getting behind it.

Ya I completely agree

What if we dont get the SJ stadium approved, and Larry Ellison buys our team?!

I WISH Larry Ellison would buy the team, what a change that would be
I seriously think Wolff will consider selling if the A's dont get San Jose
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
It looks and sounds like were not getting a stadium in San Jose..thanks to territorial rights of the Giants that the A's gave them for FREE when they built At&t park

Usually teams will sell those territorial rights to other teams. A's gave them to the Giants for free and they won't let us build a stadium in SJ. So gay. The Giants may not have that stadium right now if the A's didn't give the rights to them..
Originally posted by ImaMod:
It looks and sounds like were not getting a stadium in San Jose..thanks to territorial rights of the Giants that the A's gave them for FREE when they built At&t park

Usually teams will sell those territorial rights to other teams. A's gave them to the Giants for free and they won't let us build a stadium in SJ. So gay. The Giants may not have that stadium right now if the A's didn't give the rights to them..

Building a team in SF across the bay is a bit different than building it in the South Bay.

SF draws from the peninsula and the south bay, while Oakland draws from the North and East.

putting a stadium in the south bay would DRASTICALLY cut into the Giants potential fan base. old Oakland fans would still root for Oakland from the North and East, and then a substantial number of casual baseball fans from the south bay.

realistically where are the Giants going to draw from besides the peninsula then?

for the record I am a Giants fan, and I am relatively in favor of the A's moving to SJ, but I completely understand the situation and why it would be disallowed.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

Building a team in SF across the bay is a bit different than building it in the South Bay.

SF draws from the peninsula and the south bay, while Oakland draws from the North and East.

putting a stadium in the south bay would DRASTICALLY cut into the Giants potential fan base. old Oakland fans would still root for Oakland from the North and East, and then a substantial number of casual baseball fans from the south bay.

realistically where are the Giants going to draw from besides the peninsula then?

for the record I am a Giants fan, and I am relatively in favor of the A's moving to SJ, but I completely understand the situation and why it would be disallowed.

Ya me too, I understand the Giants reasoning..
But its just ironic and it really sucks that the A's gave them those territorial rights and thats basically the reason they arent getting their stadium in san jose

oh well..cant really expect anything different as an A's fan, we always have the worst luck
Ya me too, I understand the Giants reasoning..
But its just ironic and it really sucks that the A's gave them those territorial rights and thats basically the reason they arent getting their stadium in san jose

oh well..cant really expect anything different as an A's fan, we always have the worst luck

I agree that it is ironic. It sucks that the A's can't get something done in the East Bay and not have to deal with all this crap.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
I agree that it is ironic. It sucks that the A's can't get something done in the East Bay and not have to deal with all this crap.

Lots of people are saying that Wolff will probably try selling the team if he doesnt land a stadium in San Jose. If that happens i'll do cartwheels
Lots of people are saying that Wolff will probably try selling the team if he doesnt land a stadium in San Jose. If that happens i'll do cartwheels

This is what I would hope for if I was an A's fan. Even more than a move to SJ.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

Hell yes. They obviously have a better chance to win with an owner that actually cares about winning than an owner that doesn't care about winning and has a stadium in San jose

Did you hear what he said in the offseason? "We don't want to be a winning team if it means that we are losimg millions of dollars every year"

What kinda owner says that? He said it publicly on 95.7 the game. Such a terrible owner. hes just like Cohan of the Warriors, he doesn't give a s**t about winning

I really want him to sell this damn team. I'm sick of being that team that trades all their good players because ownership rather keep their money than keep their players its embarrassing

Hell yes. They obviously have a better chance to win with an owner that actually cares about winning than an owner that doesn't care about winning and has a stadium in San jose

Did you hear what he said in the offseason? "We don't want to be a winning team if it means that we are losimg millions of dollars every year"

What kinda owner says that? He said it publicly on 95.7 the game. Such a terrible owner. hes just like Cohan of the Warriors, he doesn't give a s**t about winning

I really want him to sell this damn team. I'm sick of being that team that trades all their good players because ownership rather keep their money than keep their players its embarrassing

Unfortunately the A's are a bit embarrassing right now. They are barely a Major League team. Its unfortunate to see how they've fallen. I like to watch the A's and only root against them when they're playing the Giants or when a win by them will directly hurt the Giants.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
John Shea ‏ @JohnSheaHey Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Wow. Cespedes' first AB in first simulated game no- doubt homer to left. "Really?" asks one of #athletics coaches

Wow. Cespedes' first AB in first simulated game no- doubt homer to left. "Really?" asks one of #athletics coaches

I hope that he plays on Saturday. I'm gonna be at the game in Phx that day. My buddy booked Giants' games on Fri and Sun...one A's game and 2 Giants' games for me this weekend...WTF is that all about?

you guys realize Wolff is only part owner of the team right? how come no one ever mentions the BILLIONAIRE Fisher that also owns the team.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jigga:

I hope that he plays on Saturday. I'm gonna be at the game in Phx that day. My buddy booked Giants' games on Fri and Sun...one A's game and 2 Giants' games for me this weekend...WTF is that all about?

tell us how everyone looks that day!

Originally posted by schmons:

you guys realize Wolff is only part owner of the team right? how come no one ever mentions the BILLIONAIRE Fisher that also owns the team.

i was actually going to type that. Fisher and Wolff. Wolff is just the one that deals with the media and the public which is why he's mainly getting all the blame. He says real stupid things though

I cant stand both of them honestly
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Yoenis Cespedes: 7-for-12 with 2 HRs in two simulated games. Seems #Athletics have a No. 3 hitter.Nobody in camp takes BP like this guy.

A's might have lucked into an OUTSTANDING prospect in June.

Lucas Giolito sprained his UCL and will miss his high school season. He was definitely a top 3 pick, possibly #1 overall. This injury may slide him a bit, but if a team is willing to pick him and still pay him close to what he would have received in the top 3, he may skip over his commit to UCLA still.

A's have money and the slot to get possibly pick him up.