There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Your Golden State Warriors. - Some Hope for the Future!

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
That, AND do away with the stupid lottery nonsense. The reason the NFL has such parity is it is easy to climb out of the cellar because of the way the league is set up. You suck one year, you are rewarded with a high draft pick and a last place schedule. In the NBA (although unlikely), the worst team in the league one year could end up with the 4th pick, and the hardest schedule in the league.

I love the NBA, but there is a reason it is a distant third as far as my favorite sports.
Yeah, the NBA Lottery is an absolute joke that gives the appearance of being a sham used to benefit the team(s) THE LEAGUE has decided to assist. Until there is some transparency on who "wins" the Lottery, it will always be that way. Ever since the first one with Ewing where there was clearly one card stuck to the wall of the transparent drum that turned out to be, "SURPRISE!", the Knicks! SMH.
They had to move it behind closed doors as a result.
In a fair league, it would be up to competence and luck. IN the NBA, there seems to be a larger factor at play.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
That, AND do away with the stupid lottery nonsense. The reason the NFL has such parity is it is easy to climb out of the cellar because of the way the league is set up. You suck one year, you are rewarded with a high draft pick and a last place schedule. In the NBA (although unlikely), the worst team in the league one year could end up with the 4th pick, and the hardest schedule in the league.

I love the NBA, but there is a reason it is a distant third as far as my favorite sports.
Yeah, the NBA Lottery is an absolute joke that gives the appearance of being a sham used to benefit the team(s) THE LEAGUE has decided to assist. Until there is some transparency on who "wins" the Lottery, it will always be that way. Ever since the first one with Ewing where there was clearly one card stuck to the wall of the transparent drum that turned out to be, "SURPRISE!", the Knicks! SMH.
They had to move it behind closed doors as a result.
In a fair league, it would be up to competence and luck. IN the NBA, there seems to be a larger factor at play.

Its simple..the worst team should have the highest pick. Bobcats were one of the worst teams ever, and they don't get the no. 1 pick. Its stupid.

Imagine if the there was a lottery in the NFL and the Rams won the 1st pick, the Vikings won the 2nd pick, and the Colts won the 3rd. Lol thank God we don't have a lottery in the NFL
  • crzy
  • Veteran
Yeah but tanking is already going on for just the opportunity to maybe, possibly get the #1 pick

If there was no lottery, tanking would be completely blatant.

I don't have any problem with the lottery.

The Warriors failures aren't due to bad luck in the lottery. The Warriors always manage to finish with too many regular season victories to get a sufficiently high pick and draft an impact player. Even if you eliminated the lottery, the Warriors would still get between the 6th and 14th picks every year in the past decade.

I also think people who claim the lottery is rigged are being silly.

The NBA is structurally flawed. It favors four or five teams in big market cities who manage to attract a proportionally unfair amount of talent.

But the NBA is not rigged. The lottery is not rigged.
Ya, part of the reason that the lottery was instituted in the first place was because the tanking was REALLY bad before they put it in place.
Originally posted by crzy:
Yeah but tanking is already going on for just the opportunity to maybe, possibly get the #1 pick

If there was no lottery, tanking would be completely blatant.

I don't have any problem with the lottery.

The Warriors failures aren't due to bad luck in the lottery. The Warriors always manage to finish with too many regular season victories to get a sufficiently high pick and draft an impact player. Even if you eliminated the lottery, the Warriors would still get between the 6th and 14th picks every year in the past decade.

I also think people who claim the lottery is rigged are being silly.

The NBA is structurally flawed. It favors four or five teams in big market cities who manage to attract a proportionally unfair amount of talent.

But the NBA is not rigged. The lottery is not rigged.

I agree completely. Although, I am not some guy who believes in ridiculous conspiracy theories. In this case, if anything ever came out that this had gone on it could be the death of the league. Somehow, I doubt Stern would take that risk.

As for your second point, I do think the NBA loves the fact that Miami, LA, Boston, NY are the teams that can attract the big names. Hell. they would hate to see a Portland-Indy matchup in the finals because the ratings would tank. The NBA has to put a hard cap in place and other measures to stop 2 or 3 star players from dictating where they can go together and form a super team.
Why not limit the lottery to half as many squads, then? If (realistically) 7 through 11 are really playing until the last few games of the season, sniffing the post-season, (attempting to win that 8th seed), why not eliminate half of the teams currently eligible for the lottery?
[ Edited by IWASATTHECATCH on Aug 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM ]
whats point of having lottery when all the good superstars eventually go to big market teams?
It would be soooooooooooooooooooo easy to prove it's not rigged - film the entire process, then show the film to a pool of reporters (say 10-15). I'm sure it's too "boring" for most TV viewers, but it would be easy enough to explain the process to a small group, that duplicates of already drawn #'s are ignored, etc.

Sorry, the first one gave every appearance of being rigged. They than moved it behind closed doors, fail to do anything to alleviate concerns, and weird things happen too frequently.

I do agree that something is needed to stop the teams from "tanking", but there are far better ways than what the NBA has chosen.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
whats point of having lottery when all the good superstars eventually go to big market teams?

Everyone would tank for the next LeBron
[ Edited by YungAce on Aug 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM ]

Might as well draft them right to the super teams and contract all the bottom feeders so the league consists of maybe 6 teams.
[ Edited by marshniners24 on Aug 28, 2012 at 1:53 AM ]
Originally posted by crzy:

I have echoed this exact claim many times in the past. That wasnt the point of my bringing up the lottery. Its just BS in general.
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Might as well draft them right to the super teams and contract all the bottom feeders so the league consists of maybe 6 teams.

We should listen to LeBron and cut the amount of teams! Milwaukee, Minnesota, Toronto, SacTown
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by marshniners24:

We should listen to LeBron and cut the amount of teams! Milwaukee, Minnesota, Toronto, SacTown

San Antonio... Memphis...Cleveland...
[ Edited by H41L5ATAN on Aug 29, 2012 at 9:00 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
had a very weird and random dream that we gave Stephen Curry a max deal..and everyone in this thread was pissed off and crzy was ranting on how the warriors will always suck cause they always give out s**tty contracts to just above average players
[ Edited by ImaMod on Aug 30, 2012 at 8:22 AM ]
Originally posted by ImaMod:
had a very weird and random dream that we gave Stephen Curry a max deal..and everyone in this thread was pissed off and crzy was ranting on how the warriors will always suck cause they always give out s**tty contracts to just above average players

dream or prediction?
Get the Latest News at WarriorsCentral.com