There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2011-12 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I hope we pass Boston before Dr. Buss dies. He deserves it. Supposedly he hasn't been doing too well lately.

He's having a huge birthday party with the owner of the bunny ranch. They were gonna give out a ticket to the party on the radio. I would do just about anything to be at that party!

Are you serious!?!?
I hope we pass Boston before Dr. Buss dies. He deserves it. Supposedly he hasn't been doing too well lately.

He's having a huge birthday party with the owner of the bunny ranch. They were gonna give out a ticket to the party on the radio. I would do just about anything to be at that party!

Are you serious!?!?

Yeah, I guess he's good friends with the owner of the bunny ranch. He goes there all the time. So the owner of the bunny ranch listens to the Don Geronimo show, and always does contests with them to bring up a winning listener to get his brains f**ked out. He text the producer during the show the other day saying how they were having this party and they should find a winner to send up there.
Yeah, I guess he's good friends with the owner of the bunny ranch. He goes there all the time. So the owner of the bunny ranch listens to the Don Geronimo show, and always does contests with them to bring up a winning listener to get his brains f**ked out. He text the producer during the show the other day saying how they were having this party and they should find a winner to send up there.

That's great.

Jerry Buss > Hugh Hefner

That's great.

Jerry Buss > Hugh Hefner

well...let's not get CRAZY.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
The NBA is a joke

Maybe, but I still find it entertaining. Lakers will be a factor. I just feel for the smaller markets though. As for Orlando, they were just dumb and they have themselves to fault. Mitch did another great job this offseason.

Is it Mitch though? I liken him to Brian cashman and gets to pull off these lopsided trades because the team he manages is able to work above every other team in the league. It's like trading in madden. It's all ez mode
Old meme, but the writing is pretty good.

You know what's funny...despite having a payroll of $100M right now, assuming Howard re-signs, the Lakers will have about $25M in cap space in '14, with a 28 year old Howard being the guy they can build around. They coud have up to $31M in cap space, if they choose to waive Nash that offseason.

It's funny that with all of the complaining about the unfair advantages that the Lakers hold due to being in a big market, they're the only big market team that's consistently successful. Setting themselves up like this is one of the reasons why.
You know what's funny...despite having a payroll of $100M right now, assuming Howard re-signs, the Lakers will have about $25M in cap space in '14, with a 28 year old Howard being the guy they can build around. They coud have up to $31M in cap space, if they choose to waive Nash that offseason.

It's funny that with all of the complaining about the unfair advantages that the Lakers hold due to being in a big market, they're the only big market team that's consistently successful. Setting themselves up like this is one of the reasons why.

To cut out all "complaining", there needs to be a hard cap where everyone is forced to play by the same rules. Point, Blank, Period!! Mitch has obviously done a superb job as usual, but there is no denying that some teams can and have been way over the tax year in and year out in order to put more talent on the court than other teams can.

I am sure that the Lakers will spend that money and then some in order to do the same thing over and over again until there is a cap. Not only the Lakers but any other team that can afford to and can justify reasoning in doing so. Their right, but for the other teams that can't afford to...oh well.

It has been some time since the Lakers were under the cap as well as Knicks, Mavs, Celtics and Magic (Otis Smith). The mavs and magic are under now but I don't see a reason for NYC and LA teams to worry about the 3 for 1 penalty if they got a winning team.

There should be a hard cap and I think that happens in the next CBA. I know LA and NYC gets the ratings but would not a league where every team every market has a shot unless you have poor management be an entity that fans would be further engrossed in every zip code? Every NFL fan has hope and optimism at the start of the year in most instances. They tune in and support because they don't feel like the deck is unfairly stacked against them.
The NBA is a joke

Maybe, but I still find it entertaining. Lakers will be a factor. I just feel for the smaller markets though. As for Orlando, they were just dumb and they have themselves to fault. Mitch did another great job this offseason.

Is it Mitch though? I liken him to Brian cashman and gets to pull off these lopsided trades because the team he manages is able to work above every other team in the league. It's like trading in madden. It's all ez mode

It's Mitch. Unlike Cashman, Mitch has salary cap rules to work through. Other owners can trade for talent, and they do, it just doesn't mean they're getting the right talent together. Look at the Knicks. The spurs and the Thunder would be a much better franchise to have right now than the Knicks. Sometimes teams are simply smarter or more aggressive than others.
Dont know why people are hating the Lakers they drafted and developed Bynum into a second best center in the league. He wasn't a FA pickup, they just used him as a bargaining chip to get better.
Originally posted by susweel:
Dont know why people are hating the Lakers they drafted and developed Bynum into a second best center in the league. He wasn't a FA pickup, they just used him as a bargaining chip to get better.

Exactly. And the funniest thing is, we'd have to pay the same thing if we kept Bynum since the nba has maximum contracts, yet no one would being sh**** about an unfair advantage if that had happened.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by susweel:

Exactly. And the funniest thing is, we'd have to pay the same thing if we kept Bynum since the nba has maximum contracts, yet no one would being sh**** about an unfair advantage if that had happened.

Yah it wasn't like we traded Kwame Brown for Howard. We gave a good player who would have made the max salary.
To cut out all "complaining", there needs to be a hard cap where everyone is forced to play by the same rules. Point, Blank, Period!! Mitch has obviously done a superb job as usual, but there is no denying that some teams can and have been way over the tax year in and year out in order to put more talent on the court than other teams can.

I am sure that the Lakers will spend that money and then some in order to do the same thing over and over again until there is a cap. Not only the Lakers but any other team that can afford to and can justify reasoning in doing so. Their right, but for the other teams that can't afford to...oh well.

It has been some time since the Lakers were under the cap as well as Knicks, Mavs, Celtics and Magic (Otis Smith). The mavs and magic are under now but I don't see a reason for NYC and LA teams to worry about the 3 for 1 penalty if they got a winning team.

There should be a hard cap and I think that happens in the next CBA. I know LA and NYC gets the ratings but would not a league where every team every market has a shot unless you have poor management be an entity that fans would be further engrossed in every zip code? Every NFL fan has hope and optimism at the start of the year in most instances. They tune in and support because they don't feel like the deck is unfairly stacked against them.

Ask the Knicks why they didn't keep Jeremy Lin. Trust me, once that repeat tax penalties kick in, no one is going to wanna pay that.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Ask the Knicks why they didn't keep Jeremy Lin. Trust me, once that repeat tax penalties kick in, no one is going to wanna pay that.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure we'll see the Lakers shrink the amount that they're over the cap. Maybe not get under, but they won't go as far over as they do now.
From dfchang813 on LG:

Just listened to Dr. Robert Klapper, chief of orthopedic surgery at Cedar Sinai and ESPN 710's resident expert.

Some highlights:

1. From an orthopedic surgery standpoint he would much rather have Dwight's back than Andrew's knees.

2. The knees have a much more "chronic injury" issue than Dwight's back which is an "acute injury" that can be repaired with very little sequelae.

3. After surgery, you can't play basketball and engage in any heavy physical activity for 4 months.

Why?

Because the injury is a disc herniation: a small amount of the nucleus pulposus or the "shock absorber" of the disc got squeezed out. It is a VERY SMALL amount. You get rid of the "squirted out" material with a 1 inch incision under a microscope.

There is a 5-10 percent chance that returning to physical activity too early could herniate more material. That's obviously not good because you've reherniated the disc and have to remove more of the extruded disc.

Bear in mind that Dwight was fully recovered, pain free, and ready to work out probably a few weeks after surgery (it is only 1 inch incision after all). BUT returning to physical activity too early gets you that 5-10 percent chance. Keep in mind that means there is a 90 to 95% chance that if he came back after only a month or so he would be fine.

But he is Dwight Howard and so they are being super, super cautious.

4. He had surgery 04/20/2012 which means he should be able to resume training, weights, basketball activity, etc around 08/20/2012 if everything goes according to schedule and he feels no pain, etc.

5. Per Dr. Klapper, based on that schedule Dwight should be ready for opening night (10/30/2012). He'll have 2 months to get his conditioning back. Again assuming he recovers as expected and at his age and conditioning there should be NO REASON for any setbacks.

6. Dwight will ALWAYS know he had surgery, he'll ALWAYS feel just a little different. That's unavoidable. BUT that feeling doesn't affect his ability to do what he needs to do. Per Dr. Klapper as fans we should be able to tell NO DIFFERENCE in the way he plays. He should have essentially NO difference in his skills, athleticism, etc.

7. By way, reading some medical papers addressing the effects of laminectomy on NBA athletes, those papers support Dr. Klapper's assertion that Dwight should be back as good as new.

8. That should answer the question why teams are still willing to kill themselves to get Dwight Howard despite this "back injury" issue. It's a non-issue moving forward. Also why he and his agent are very comfortable not extending and waiting for the end of the season to sign a new max contract. They know, all-world BEAST 3x DPOY Howard is coming back this year. With Stephen A interview, Dwight pointed out that he absolutely felt he could have won a 4th straight DPOY if he had been fully healthy. He's ready to come back and remind everyone who he is on the basketball floor. Trust me, he may be smiling but this whole Dwightmare did affect him and he's going to playing with an edge, especially on defense.

The most dominant defensive force in the NBA basically feels disrespected and the league has NO IDEA what is coming down on them from the 5 slot.

Summary: If everything goes according to schedule, we should hear something by the end of August that Dwight is starting to work out again on the court, lifting, running etc.

Chances are good that he'll be ready for the start of the season.

Chances overwhelmingly good that there will be no lasting effect from this particular injury.

Final point: He played with a lot of pain and discomfort when the incompetent, dumbass Magic medical staff misdiagnosed with "back spasms." He said it was more pain than he had ever experienced since he was in the league.

That's why the thing that hurt him personally the most in the media was that he was faking an injury and quitting on his team. He put up All-Star numbers last year playing with a herniated disc.

When I think of Bynum taking plays and games off and openly admitting it while Dwight is still putting up the numbers he did with an injury that ultimately required surgery and in a toxic, destructive environment . . . I think there is no doubt the sort of heart and work ethic Dwight is going to bring to our team.

Hope all of this is a bit reassuring.
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com