There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2011-12 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

• AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
That's exactly the point. They are doing everything in their power to win the championship every single year. While teams like Orlando are trying every single year to unload players who are going to leave in FA eventually anyway. You don't see a difference there in the market and money availabilty and decisions they make?

How do the Yankees win 27 Championships and some win 1? Probably because they have the balls to make impact deals while spending 10 times more than everybody else due to their large market....

Do you not remember when Orlando was competing for a championship? It wasn't all that long ago. Their management has made some terrible decisions on contracts that ruined their chances. Rashard Lewis for a while had the worst contract in the NBA and they still made it to the finals with him as their highest paid player. Orlando could have built much better pieces around Howard but they failed and that's why they are unloading this summer.
[ Edited by AmpLee on Aug 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM ]
Originally posted by dcsham:
You would know much better than me what the strength of the Lakers is. Let me ask you this...if you don't win a title this year, would you consider it to be a failed year?

Yes. The only condition to that is that they're relatively healthy.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Aug 11, 2012 at 9:17 PM ]
That's exactly the point. They are doing everything in their power to win the championship every single year. While teams like Orlando are trying every single year to unload players who are going to leave in FA eventually anyway. You don't see a difference there in the market and money availabilty and decisions they make?

How do the Yankees win 27 Championships and some win 1? Probably because they have the balls to make impact deals while spending 10 times more than everybody else due to their large market....

lulz

What horse crap.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
lulz

What horse crap.

This.

lulz

What horse crap.

What did you expect?

lulz

What horse crap.

Seriously. Orlando will be a quality team again very soon.
The lakers have a 25yr $5billion dollar tv deal to subsidize any and all of their chronic overspending. This makes for a considerable advantage no doubt. In addition the market offers the allure of Hollywood and the big market endorsement deals. Mitch Kupchak has an easier time getting championship caliber players. At the same time, Orlando, most specifically Otis Smith, cluster fuc%ed that franchise by over paying richardson lewis turjoglu jameer nelson and others to look like they were buying the same championship the lakers were. .- The thing is that lakers spent big on the right players while ORL, NYK, DAL for a while were spending big on mediocre talent and not getting the results. The Lakers have the advantage and Derek Fisher was instrumental in the last CBA ensuring this with the NO HARD CAP rule, but the Lakers know when to pounce on weaker franchises at the exact moments of vulnerability and poach every available franchise player. This along with their advantages is why they keep themselves relevant. The NBA needs a hard cap just like the NFL where GB NO IND PIT have all won championships the last few years. I sided with players in NFL CBA and owners in NBA CBA. I want every team to be forced to play by the same budget but the lakers are obviously well managed. Nice job Mitch!!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM ]

Motherf**kin Mitch!!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
The lakers have a 25yr $5billion dollar tv deal to subsidize any and all of their chronic overspending. This makes for a considerable advantage no doubt. In addition the market offers the allure of Hollywood and the big market endorsement deals. Mitch Kupchak has an easier time getting championship caliber players. At the same time, Orlando, most specifically Otis Smith, cluster fuc%ed that franchise by over paying richardson lewis turjoglu jameer nelson and others to look like they were buying the same championship the lakers were. .- The thing is that lakers spent big on the right players while ORL, NYK, DAL for a while were spending big on mediocre talent and not getting the results. The Lakers have the advantage and Derek Fisher was instrumental in the last CBA ensuring this with the NO HARD CAP rule, but the Lakers know when to pounce on weaker franchises at the exact moments of vulnerability and poach every available franchise player. This along with their advantages is why they keep themselves relevant. The NBA needs a hard cap just like the NFL where GB NO IND PIT have all won championships the last few years. I sided with players in NFL CBA and owners in NBA CBA. I want every team to be forced to play by the same budget but the lakers are obviously well managed. Nice job Mitch!!

Miami, Dallas, LA, & Boston have won championships in the last few years as well. I'm not sure what your point is.
Miami, Dallas, LA, & Boston have won championships in the last few years as well. I'm not sure what your point is.

DAL, LA, and BOS are large markets with large revenue streams and those teams spent dearly for those chips (more than $80million dollars on a $58 million soft cap system?). MIA came in under the cap initially($65 million after they filled out roster but lost to an $85 million DAL team in finals). As their contracts escalate, they will pay dearly also starting this year ($82 million). Fortunately for them, they have lebron, and as a result they have just signed a very lucrative TV deal(approx $250 mil) of their own to account for this new luxury tax. The heat were underspending for 2 to 3 years straight to prepare for the free agent bonanza of summer 2010. The miami market is a mid size market but has the weather advantage as well a a wealthy owner and Pat Riley, so they too are a premier destination as a result. Right now the same teams eat first in the big markets NYC(knicks nets) and LA(lakers clips) and now MIA because they have Lebron then u have CHI DAL then everyone else. These players today want the off court endorsement deals that they seen Michael get rich from with lesser talent so they flock to the big markets to compensate for it. Lebron, however was making dough in CLE but he could not recruit others to come with him. The Lakers don't have this problem due to the aforementioned advantages as well as a superior track record of success that players can believe in. No knock on lakers or any other chronic winner but the NBA does need a hard cap to give everyone a punchers chance. Obviously players will always flock to NY and LA because heck I would too all things even but right now players can march onto a team already outspending everyone through certain loopholes and still find a way to get top dollar. Now if a player wants to take a paycut to go to a big spender, more power to them, but to have your cake (overspending team of choice) and eat it too (max salary) is not something that a rival GM of a smaller market, lesser resources, and from a less accomplished team could compete with. Now some players want to win and others get paid but u should not b able to join an overspending winning team and still get paid max salary. If that is the case then Lebron was right in that the league should go down to only 12 teams or so because other fan bases are just buying fool's gold thinking their teams will be anything other than farm systems for the major squads

DAL, LA, and BOS are large markets with large revenue streams and those teams spent dearly for those chips (more than $80million dollars on a $58 million soft cap system?). MIA came in under the cap initially($65 million after they filled out roster but lost to an $85 million DAL team in finals). As their contracts escalate, they will pay dearly also starting this year ($82 million). Fortunately for them, they have lebron, and as a result they have just signed a very lucrative TV deal(approx $250 mil) of their own to account for this new luxury tax.

The heat were underspending for 2 to 3 years straight to prepare for the free agent bonanza of summer 2010. The miami market is a mid size market but has the weather advantage as well a a wealthy owner and Pat Riley, so they too are a premier destination as a result. Right now the same teams eat first in the big markets NYC(knicks nets) and LA(lakers clips) and now MIA because they have Lebron then u have CHI DAL then everyone else. These players today want the off court endorsement deals that they seen Michael get rich from with lesser talent so they flock to the big markets to compensate for it.

Lebron, however was making dough in CLE but he could not recruit others to come with him. The Lakers don't have this problem due to the aforementioned advantages as well as a superior track record of success that players can believe in. No knock on lakers or any other chronic winner but the NBA does need a hard cap to give everyone a punchers chance. Obviously players will always flock to NY and LA because heck I would too all things even but right now players can march onto a team already outspending everyone through certain loopholes and still find a way to get top dollar.

Now if a player wants to take a paycut to go to a big spender, more power to them, but to have your cake (overspending team of choice) and eat it too (max salary) is not something that a rival GM of a smaller market, lesser resources, and from a less accomplished team could compete with.

Now some players want to win and others get paid but u should not b able to join an overspending winning team and still get paid max salary. If that is the case then Lebron was right in that the league should go down to only 12 teams or so because other fan bases are just buying fool's gold thinking their teams will be anything other than farm systems for the major squads

Dude if you're going to make a post that big, you need to break it up a little.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Dude if you're going to make a post that big, you need to break it up a little.

my bad i was just lazy. lakers will be fun to watch though
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Looking

Motherf**kin Mitch!!
Looking at this gif just reminded me of the near impossibility of winning a playoff game in that building. That crowd is like the 12th man. Lakers might desire as few games as possible in that venue. If Miami had to go back there for 6 and 7, they could have very well been in jeopardy
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame

I think you meant SA not LA
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

lulz

What horse crap.

What did you expect?

LOL, seriously.
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com