There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Penn St. football sexual abuse scandal

  • Paul
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,726
He was told that Sandusky's keys to the locker room were taken away and that the incident had been reported to The Second Mile. The graduate assistant was never questioned by University Police and no other entity conducted an investigation until he testified in Grand Jury in December, 2010

Baffling
Originally posted by Paul:
He was told that Sandusky's keys to the locker room were taken away and that the incident had been reported to The Second Mile. The graduate assistant was never questioned by University Police and no other entity conducted an investigation until he testified in Grand Jury in December, 2010

Baffling

Sounds like a sufficient punishment
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Been following this moderately and may have missed it, but did they determine whether Paterno knew for sure that this was going on? Or at least that someone told him it might be going on?

Knew since 2002. Kept it in the dark for NINE YEARS.

9 years.
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Been following this moderately and may have missed it, but did they determine whether Paterno knew for sure that this was going on? Or at least that someone told him it might be going on?

Knew since 2002. Kept it in the dark for NINE YEARS.

9 years.

I thought he alerted officals. He's just being critisized for not doing enough, but he did say something.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,726
Originally posted by FaithInJH:
I thought he alerted officals. He's just being critisized for not doing enough, but he did say something.

officials and the police; 2 different things I suppose
Originally posted by Paul:
Originally posted by FaithInJH:
I thought he alerted officals. He's just being critisized for not doing enough, but he did say something.

officials and the police; 2 different things I suppose

Its fine that he alerted officials and that probably was the right thing to do initially but when the officials didnt take the matter any further it was Joe's responsibility to make sure the police was brought into this. Paterno is the head man on that football program and all this will come down on him.
Man watching Matt Millan almost breakdown on sportscenter is crazy. Say what you will about him as a gm, he's human like the rest of us and it shows how devastating this is.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Paul:
Originally posted by FaithInJH:
I thought he alerted officals. He's just being critisized for not doing enough, but he did say something.

officials and the police; 2 different things I suppose

Its fine that he alerted officials and that probably was the right thing to do initially but when the officials didnt take the matter any further it was Joe's responsibility to make sure the police was brought into this. Paterno is the head man on that football program and all this will come down on him.

Exactly. Paterno's initial reactions were the correct ones to take, to report it to the university officials. The university officials were then suppose to report it to the police, but they did not.

The complaint about Paterno's actions is that he should have realized the university officials weren't doing their job and reported the incident to the police himself. He was not obligated by law to do this, thus he isn't guilty of any crime. Its more about the morally right/wrong thing to do, the right thing was to be pro-active about protecting children, and he was not pro-active about it. Instead, Paterno did the minimal amount of reporting he was required to do.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Paul:
Originally posted by FaithInJH:
I thought he alerted officals. He's just being critisized for not doing enough, but he did say something.

officials and the police; 2 different things I suppose

Its fine that he alerted officials and that probably was the right thing to do initially but when the officials didnt take the matter any further it was Joe's responsibility to make sure the police was brought into this. Paterno is the head man on that football program and all this will come down on him.

Why wouldnt officials do anything when he alerted them? The university should be held accountable as well.
Originally posted by FaithInJH:
Man watching Matt Millan almost breakdown on sportscenter is crazy. Say what you will about him as a gm, he's human like the rest of us and it shows how devastating this is.

It was a good clip, and by good I mean brutally honest. It seemed like the part that really tripped him up was when the sportscenter lady mentioned that he is a father and a grandfather. After she said that, it seemed like his face twitched a bit and he tried to mantain his composure, but just couldn't.

I couldn't imagine being a Penn State alum that played for Sandusky and JoePa and to find about these allegations. I mean, they probably looked up to those guys and considered them important influences and mentors in their life, almost family members.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Have any of you read the 23 page Grand Jury Presentment?

Absolutely disgusting and mind blowing.

that s**t was sick, sandusky is so done and would not be surprised to hear that he got killed in pison
Originally posted by FaithInJH:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Paul:
Originally posted by FaithInJH:
I thought he alerted officals. He's just being critisized for not doing enough, but he did say something.

officials and the police; 2 different things I suppose

Its fine that he alerted officials and that probably was the right thing to do initially but when the officials didnt take the matter any further it was Joe's responsibility to make sure the police was brought into this. Paterno is the head man on that football program and all this will come down on him.

Why wouldnt officials do anything when he alerted them? The university should be held accountable as well.

of course they should be.

But I think all of them conspired together to not tarnish the name Penn State and them as the people in charge. They were more worried about not embarrassing themselves and Penn State instead of doing the right thing.


Evil thrives when good men fail to act
Originally posted by susweel:
Its fine that he alerted officials and that probably was the right thing to do initially but when the officials didnt take the matter any further it was Joe's responsibility to make sure the police was brought into this. Paterno is the head man on that football program and all this will come down on him.

I believe that Paterno should go down for what he did and everyone who did nothing. That being said to play devils advocate if someone came to you at work and told you about a horrible and illegal act that happened on the job most places tell you to report it to your boss and they will do an investigation. You are told they will go to the police and a investigation will take place. My larger problem is the G.A. who allegedly saw it and did nothing. How could you not yell and pull the child the hell out of there and not call the police immediately.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Have any of you read the 23 page Grand Jury Presentment?

Absolutely disgusting and mind blowing.

that s**t was sick, sandusky is so done and would not be surprised to hear that he got killed in pison
f*ggot will be put in protective custody.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Exactly. Paterno's initial reactions were the correct ones to take, to report it to the university officials. The university officials were then suppose to report it to the police, but they did not.

The complaint about Paterno's actions is that he should have realized the university officials weren't doing their job and reported the incident to the police himself. He was not obligated by law to do this, thus he isn't guilty of any crime. Its more about the morally right/wrong thing to do, the right thing was to be pro-active about protecting children, and he was not pro-active about it. Instead, Paterno did the minimal amount of reporting he was required to do.

Although I feel he should have done more than just alert the administration, my biggest issue in all of this is that he/administration allowed Sandusky to hang around the campus for the last however many years. The man still had an office on campus and was on the faculty list as recently as a couple weeks ago. He wasn't even banned from campus until last week. This is just so absurd.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Nov 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM ]