There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

BCS National Championship

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Can we all agree that a Final Four would be rad? I don't think we'll ever see a playoff, but I'd definitely settle for the winner of #1 vs #4 playing the winner of #2 vs #3 for a championship. Surely that could be possible.

It would have been great this year:

LSU vs Stanford
Alabama vs OK St.

Still would have been LSU-Bama in the end most likely but it would have added 2 great games and more excitement.

And probably added money and subtracted a lot of b***hing.










  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,439
Originally posted by LundyLove:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by LundyLove:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Every game counts! Unless you're in the SEC...

Well the SEC is the toughest conference by far. Since all the other contenders for the BCS title game lost at least once (other than LSU) I think voters simply went by which team they felt was the best among 1 loss teams. Oklahoma St. has only themselves to blame for losing to an average Iowa St. team.


How do you know the SEC is the best conference?

Don't use rankings as your answer because rankings are based on opinions

It's pretty obvious when you watch 'em play.


It was obvious a lot of times ion sports history but they never won championships

The Rams were so much better then the Patriots in 2001

The Patriots were so much better then the Giants in 2007

The A's were sop much better then the Reds in 1990

The Russians were so much better then us in 1980

many many more examples

What you are doing is guessing based on eye ball test.... Of course college football says, why play the games, we know who is better.,....

the fact that Alabama did not even win the division in their own conference is a travesty.

But we base it on what. Our opinion that the SEC is so much better..... But, How do we know. We are only guessing.

We know because all the college coaches believe SEC is better. We know because all the NFL scouts believe it. We know because all the NFL GMs believe SEC is the best conference. I'm a Cal alumni, so I'm not biased towards SEC - but the kind of players that come out of SEC every year to the NFL proves their superiority over every single conference in College Football right now, just like it used to be Miami and Florida in the 90s. They have the biggest, the strongest, and the fastest players - and it shows up when you watch the game.

The way BCS is designed - it makes perfect sense to have these two teams go at each other again. Comparing it to NFL playoff system makes little to no sense because that's not the system used by BCS. I'd love for them to adopt a similar system, but the way things stand in BCS today - these were the best two teams.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by LundyLove:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by LundyLove:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Every game counts! Unless you're in the SEC...

Well the SEC is the toughest conference by far. Since all the other contenders for the BCS title game lost at least once (other than LSU) I think voters simply went by which team they felt was the best among 1 loss teams. Oklahoma St. has only themselves to blame for losing to an average Iowa St. team.


How do you know the SEC is the best conference?

Don't use rankings as your answer because rankings are based on opinions

It's pretty obvious when you watch 'em play.


It was obvious a lot of times ion sports history but they never won championships

The Rams were so much better then the Patriots in 2001

The Patriots were so much better then the Giants in 2007

The A's were sop much better then the Reds in 1990

The Russians were so much better then us in 1980

many many more examples

What you are doing is guessing based on eye ball test.... Of course college football says, why play the games, we know who is better.,....

the fact that Alabama did not even win the division in their own conference is a travesty.

But we base it on what. Our opinion that the SEC is so much better..... But, How do we know. We are only guessing.

We know because all the college coaches believe SEC is better. We know because all the NFL scouts believe it. We know because all the NFL GMs believe SEC is the best conference. I'm a Cal alumni, so I'm not biased towards SEC - but the kind of players that come out of SEC every year to the NFL proves their superiority over every single conference in College Football right now, just like it used to be Miami and Florida in the 90s. They have the biggest, the strongest, and the fastest players - and it shows up when you watch the game.

The way BCS is designed - it makes perfect sense to have these two teams go at each other again. Comparing it to NFL playoff system makes little to no sense because that's not the system used by BCS. I'd love for them to adopt a similar system, but the way things stand in BCS today - these were the best two teams.

The point is the best way to know for sure if Bama or LSU is better than Oklahoma State is for them to play. As Chris Berman says, "that's why they play the games". There is no way you can convince me that 'Bama is better than Oklahoma State. Boycott the bowls.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
The point is the best way to know for sure if Bama or LSU is better than Oklahoma State is for them to play. As Chris Berman says, "that's why they play the games". There is no way you can convince me that 'Bama is better than Oklahoma State. Boycott the bowls.

nope

not unless they play.....


its all guessing otherwise
My dream playoff setup would be 12 teams, set up just like the NFL playoffs, with the top 4 seeds getting byes. Games would be played on the homefield of the higher seeded teams. This is important IMO bc homefield advantage in college football is HUGE.

For the sake of fantasy, here is how that would end up this year:

LSU, Bama, Okla St, Stanford get byes

Round 1

Baylor @ Oregon - marquee matchup of the week
VA Tech @ Arkansas
Wisconsin @ Boise St - a big time team playing out of their element
South Carolina @ Kansas St

That looks 100x more exciting than the Bowl season from top to bottom.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,439
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
The point is the best way to know for sure if Bama or LSU is better than Oklahoma State is for them to play. As Chris Berman says, "that's why they play the games". There is no way you can convince me that 'Bama is better than Oklahoma State. Boycott the bowls.

Then, I guess everyone should play everyone. Since, that's not possible - we've to go with all the info available. Alabama lost to the best team in the nation, whereas Okla. St. lost to an un-ranked team. With the current system - Alabama deserves to play in the Championship. Now, if we're talkin' about changing the system - then yes, there should be changes - but you can't change rules in the middle of the game.

LSU vs. Alabama makes perfect sense and I can't wait to see this one!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,439
Originally posted by aman49:
My dream playoff setup would be 12 teams, set up just like the NFL playoffs, with the top 4 seeds getting byes. Games would be played on the homefield of the higher seeded teams. This is important IMO bc homefield advantage in college football is HUGE.

For the sake of fantasy, here is how that would end up this year:

LSU, Bama, Okla St, Stanford get byes

Round 1

Baylor @ Oregon - marquee matchup of the week
VA Tech @ Arkansas
Wisconsin @ Boise St - a big time team playing out of their element
South Carolina @ Kansas St

That looks 100x more exciting than the Bowl season from top to bottom.

But - it will still have the same problem. How do you determine who should get the 12th seed and who should get the 13th? If you have 5 teams with 1 loss or less - how do you rank the no.4 and no. 5? Why isn't Iowa State in the playoffs since they have already beaten one of the teams in the playoffs? How can Stanford get the bye, and not Oregon?
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by aman49:
My dream playoff setup would be 12 teams, set up just like the NFL playoffs, with the top 4 seeds getting byes. Games would be played on the homefield of the higher seeded teams. This is important IMO bc homefield advantage in college football is HUGE.

For the sake of fantasy, here is how that would end up this year:

LSU, Bama, Okla St, Stanford get byes

Round 1

Baylor @ Oregon - marquee matchup of the week
VA Tech @ Arkansas
Wisconsin @ Boise St - a big time team playing out of their element
South Carolina @ Kansas St

That looks 100x more exciting than the Bowl season from top to bottom.

But - it will still have the same problem. How do you determine who should get the 12th seed and who should get the 13th? If you have 5 teams with 1 loss or less - how do you rank the no.4 and no. 5? Why isn't Iowa State in the playoffs since they have already beaten one of the teams in the playoffs? How can Stanford get the bye, and not Oregon?

There will still be SOME controversy, but much less when 12 teams have a chance to prove they deserve the title instead of just 2.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,439
Originally posted by aman49:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by aman49:
My dream playoff setup would be 12 teams, set up just like the NFL playoffs, with the top 4 seeds getting byes. Games would be played on the homefield of the higher seeded teams. This is important IMO bc homefield advantage in college football is HUGE.

For the sake of fantasy, here is how that would end up this year:

LSU, Bama, Okla St, Stanford get byes

Round 1

Baylor @ Oregon - marquee matchup of the week
VA Tech @ Arkansas
Wisconsin @ Boise St - a big time team playing out of their element
South Carolina @ Kansas St

That looks 100x more exciting than the Bowl season from top to bottom.

But - it will still have the same problem. How do you determine who should get the 12th seed and who should get the 13th? If you have 5 teams with 1 loss or less - how do you rank the no.4 and no. 5? Why isn't Iowa State in the playoffs since they have already beaten one of the teams in the playoffs? How can Stanford get the bye, and not Oregon?

There will still be SOME controversy, but much less when 12 teams have a chance to prove they deserve the title instead of just 2.

Of course, that's because you have shrunk the pool to 12 teams and created another season, but there will be similar controversies. They may not get the same attention, because it won't involve the National Championship game, but same questions will come up. These are college games, and the system needs to give an opportunity to the players to study for Finals in December - so increasing the number of games isn't such an easy option. Maybe you can add 1 game, but 3-4 weeks is impossible.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
We know because all the college coaches believe SEC is better. We know because all the NFL scouts believe it. We know because all the NFL GMs believe SEC is the best conference. I'm a Cal alumni, so I'm not biased towards SEC - but the kind of players that come out of SEC every year to the NFL proves their superiority over every single conference in College Football right now, just like it used to be Miami and Florida in the 90s. They have the biggest, the strongest, and the fastest players - and it shows up when you watch the game.

The way BCS is designed - it makes perfect sense to have these two teams go at each other again. Comparing it to NFL playoff system makes little to no sense because that's not the system used by BCS. I'd love for them to adopt a similar system, but the way things stand in BCS today - these were the best two teams.
How many times did De La Salle play teams from outside Northern California during their streak that were far superior in D1 players who turned into NFL players and played in leagues that had more talent. They went out and took on all comers. But they gave people a shot unlike the SEC that hides. They are the football version of Mayweather
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,149
LOL at the PAC guys being the only ones who can't admit the SEC is and has been far and away the best conference for years.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,766
I'd be fine with a 4 team playoff system. I'd rather have teams arguing about being the 4th best than the 1st best.

1 vs 4 in lets say the Rose Bowl
2 vs 3 in lets say the Sugar Bowl
Winner play each other in the BCS Title Bowl

Then next year 1 vs 4 in Orange Bowl and 2 vs 3 in Fiesta Bowl. Just keep switching it up. That way, you still get to keep the Bowl Tradition.
Originally posted by Amir:
I'd be fine with a 4 team playoff system. I'd rather have teams arguing about being the 4th best than the 1st best.

1 vs 4 in lets say the Rose Bowl
2 vs 3 in lets say the Sugar Bowl
Winner play each other in the BCS Title Bowl

Then next year 1 vs 4 in Orange Bowl and 2 vs 3 in Fiesta Bowl. Just keep switching it up. That way, you still get to keep the Bowl Tradition.


would end up being every year.....

Round 1:

LSU (1) vs Florida (4)

Alabama (2) vs Auburn(3)

with Arkansas complaining they should be 4.

jk.... i'd take anything over the BCS.
  • zero
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,554
It's time my friends.



And for all of you haters out there, take comfort in knowing that an SEC team will finally lose in a National Championship game.