There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

BCS National Championship

Originally posted by LB49ers:
You only get one shot at the SEC a year because they usually will not play anyone and if they do it is almost always at home. For all of the talk on the greatness of the SEC they went .500 last year in bowl games. They year before they went 6-4. They play with a loaded deck because they start out ranked high and then don't play anyone and once a team looks like it is going to make it into the National title game they seem to end up getting all of the calls in close games in SEC games.

THIS x infinity

Where do you live, blizzunts?
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
LSU and alabama have hands down the most talent in college football. They will a high amount of 1st round picks this year.

How did LSU do against Oregon and WVU?

Didn't Alabama whoop up on Penn State?

WVU sucks and LSU very well could have lost to Oregon if they had all their parts and didn't have a million turnovers.

PSU also sucks.
Member Milestone: This is post number 800 for LB49ers.
LSU and alabama have hands down the most talent in college football. They will a high amount of 1st round picks this year.

Alabama got their shot and lost AT HOME. The BCS supporters say every game counts but I guess not this game. Just explain to me how you are not the best team in your conference but the best team in the nation.
Originally posted by aman49:
You only get one shot at the SEC a year because they usually will not play anyone and if they do it is almost always at home. For all of the talk on the greatness of the SEC they went .500 last year in bowl games. They year before they went 6-4. They play with a loaded deck because they start out ranked high and then don't play anyone and once a team looks like it is going to make it into the National title game they seem to end up getting all of the calls in close games in SEC games.

THIS x infinity

Where do you live, blizzunts?

I live in NYC.

It is not an uncommon thing for the best team in the best conference to get the nod. Would I rather see OSU? Of course

But I know Alabama is the 2nd best team
Originally posted by aman49:

WVU sucks and LSU very well could have lost to Oregon if they had all their parts and didn't have a million turnovers.

PSU also sucks.

When the 49ers used to be the worst team in the league we had a ton of turnovers every game bc the other team was always better. Same thing happened in the Oregon game, LSU was just better

Alabama got their shot and lost AT HOME. The BCS supporters say every game counts but I guess not this game. Just explain to me how you are not the best team in your conference but the best team in the nation.

I don't think anyone is saying they are the best in the nation, they the 2nd best in the nation
Originally posted by pantstickle:
I could see where OK State would have a huge gripe, but then again, they lost to an unranked .500 team. And Stanford lost by 20 at home, to a lower ranked team, even though they're obviously no slouch. Alabama is the only team with one loss that lost to a better team by a field goal in overtime. A playoff would be ideal, but it's hard to argue against LSU/Bama in the current system.

It really isn't.

OkState won more games vs. top 10 teams
More games vs. ranked opponents
Won their conference

The big one for me though is Bama already got a shot vs LSU at home and failed. We haven't seen OkState vs LSU. OkState lost in a double overtime road game. Bama lost a game they weren't overlooking at all at home where they failed to score a TD in 5 quarters. The fact that coaches were voting OkState the 5th best team in the country reeks of manipulating the vote. The computers have OkState ahead of Bama the coaches poll is what swung it in Bama's favor. The 'Tide got to sit at home and rest up while twiddling their thumbs. OkState could have pounded Oklahoma by 70 it would not have mattered. I refuse to attend or watch any bowl games. If all fans refused to attend or watch all bowl games we could change this BS system real quick.
Originally posted by LundyLove:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Every game counts! Unless you're in the SEC...

Well the SEC is the toughest conference by far. Since all the other contenders for the BCS title game lost at least once (other than LSU) I think voters simply went by which team they felt was the best among 1 loss teams. Oklahoma St. has only themselves to blame for losing to an average Iowa St. team.

How do you know the SEC is the best conference?

Don't use rankings as your answer because rankings are based on opinions

OK. I wont use rankings. Lets go by these facts then. The SEC has historically been the best conference BY FAR and I dont see any reason to think differently this year.

1) The SEC had 49 players selected in last month's NFL draft, the 11th time in the past 13 years that it tied or led for the most draft picks among college football conferences.

2) Strength of SEVERAL teams in the conference. They have had 4 different teams in the last 4 years win the National Title and have won the last 5 BCS title games by an average of 14 pts per game against the best outside their conference. This includes teams from the Pac 10, Big 12, and Big 10

I would have liked Oklahoma St to play but I have no doubt that Alabama is the better team and the SEC is the best conference.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Dec 5, 2011 at 6:39 PM ]
Can we all agree that a Final Four would be rad? I don't think we'll ever see a playoff, but I'd definitely settle for the winner of #1 vs #4 playing the winner of #2 vs #3 for a championship. Surely that could be possible.
Can we all agree that a Final Four would be rad? I don't think we'll ever see a playoff, but I'd definitely settle for the winner of #1 vs #4 playing the winner of #2 vs #3 for a championship. Surely that could be possible.

For sure. People complain but the current bcs system is still better than the old bowl system by far!

For sure. People complain but the current bcs system is still better than the old bowl system by far!

Oh, definitely. There may be some disputes over who #2 is, but at least it gives us 1 versus 2.

It would have been great this year:

LSU vs Stanford
Alabama vs OK St.

Still would have been LSU-Bama in the end most likely but it would have added 2 great games and more excitement.
We need a system where all 118 have a shot at the title. Its the only division in sports, including Little league, that does not allow that to happen.
Originally posted by LundyLove:
We need a system where all 118 have a shot at the title. Its the only division in sports, including Little league, that does not allow that to happen.

And what would you suggest to make this happen.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I could see where OK State would have a huge gripe, but then again, they lost to an unranked .500 team. And Stanford lost by 20 at home, to a lower ranked team, even though they're obviously no slouch. Alabama is the only team with one loss that lost to a better team by a field goal in overtime. A playoff would be ideal, but it's hard to argue against LSU/Bama in the current system.

It really isn't.

OkState won more games vs. top 10 teams
More games vs. ranked opponents
Won their conference

The big one for me though is Bama already got a shot vs LSU at home and failed. We haven't seen OkState vs LSU. OkState lost in a double overtime road game. Bama lost a game they weren't overlooking at all at home where they failed to score a TD in 5 quarters. The fact that coaches were voting OkState the 5th best team in the country reeks of manipulating the vote. The computers have OkState ahead of Bama the coaches poll is what swung it in Bama's favor. The 'Tide got to sit at home and rest up while twiddling their thumbs. OkState could have pounded Oklahoma by 70 it would not have mattered. I refuse to attend or watch any bowl games. If all fans refused to attend or watch all bowl games we could change this BS system real quick.

OK State beat a Texas A&M team that was ranked 8 at the time and finished the 6-6. That one doesn't count. They have 1 win over a top ten team (current standings), and that's K State (#8). They still lost to an unranked team with a .500 record, too.

Bama missed some field goals and lost in overtime to the #1 team. They essentially tied the best team in the country and were a football flying ten feet to the left away from beating them. That's as close as it gets. They also beat exactly 1 top ten team (Arkansas, #6), so that point is moot.

They beat the same amount of ranked opponents. Again, that's going by the final rankings, because they're a little more accurate.

I'll give you that they won their conference, but I think that point is overblown. Bama only lost their conference because they share it with LSU. It's not as if they lost their conference to Georgia. Had LSU not been there, they would have won it. That's really not that big of a deal.