There are 366 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

Sharks resign Tommy Wingels.

The San Jose Sharks and forward Tommy Wingels have agreed on a three-year contract, CSN Bay Area reported Saturday.

The Sharks made a qualifying offer to Wingels, a restricted free agent, on June 30, the report said.

Wingels had 16 goals and 22 assists in 77 games last season. He has 24 goals and 36 assists in 157 NHL games over two-plus seasons.

The 26-year-old was the 177th pick in the 2008 NHL Draft.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=725508
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Sharks traded for McGinn...but not Jamie. We got his brother, Tye. Wish it were Jamie and am still not happy we traded him away in the first place.

One of the worst trades in Wilson's era.

Aside from Havlat.

McGinn trade was way worse. Gave up a budding winger in his early 20's for Winnik and Galiardi. Both did nothing in Sharks uniforms.

At least Havlat-Heatley was a wash. That trade didn't work out for either side.

I can't disagree with you there.

sharks saved 2.5 million per season by taking havlat over heatley. they were equally useless on the ice, but havlat made significantly less.

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Wilson has gone full retard with signing Scott, a 4th line enforcer

So much for letting the young guys get their chance

Brown, Scott, Kennedy, burish makin 5 million combined this year...

5 million tied up on FOUR guys barely good enough to suit up as forward #12 any given night.

facepalmeriffic
So we let Havlat leave, and he signs for cheap with NJ.

We sign Mike Brown back, who isnt very good.

We sign ANOTHER enforcer...

We extend Wingels.

WTF? So far this offseason has sucked. Hopefully we make some changes...
Originally posted by Niners99:

We extend Wingels.

your forgetting Stalock.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

We extend Wingels.

We're rebuilding or so Doug Wilson says.
Originally posted by Hopper:

We extend Wingels.

We're rebuilding or so Doug Wilson says.

Brown is an OK energy guy, but we really could upgrade. We have plenty of room to move and there's still time, but I agree we need to do SOMEthing more major than trading for a Tye McGinn... Basically, the best case scenario is the up-and-coming players play so well that they have to be kept on the ice and we don't have to worry about the garbage being out there dragging the team down.

Sheppard was outstanding in the last half of the year, totaling 20 points and a +3 rating along with 6 points in 7 playoff games with a +3 rating. Kennedy was dreadful. 17 points and -10 rating. We are putting a lot of hope in the following battling: Tye McGinn, Desjardins, Burish, Freddie Hamilton, Eriah Hayes, Travis Oleksuk, Kennedy, and Scott.

Top three lines in my opinion are: 1) Marleau-Thornton-Hertl, 2) Couture-Pavelski-Nieto, 3) Torres-Sheppard-Wingels

My ideal/best case scenario?: Trade at least one of Kennedy/Burish. Then set the 4th line as McGinn-Desjardins-Brown/Hamilton/Hayes, and let Oleksuk develop a little more in Worcester, he should be ready soon.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jul 7, 2014 at 10:02 AM ]
Here is my comprehensive overview of all our top current prospects in the farm right now. For the ones not in Worcester yet, it will be interesting to see who make the move up to the AHL this year. And for those joining and those already in Worcester, I'm excited to see who might get up to the NHL.

Forwards:
Freddie Hamitlon, age 22, 6-1 195
In Worcester? Yes
NHL experience? Yes
Stats & Other Notes: Led Worcester in points w/ 43 in 64 games, but did not get any points in 11 NHL games last year.

Eriah Hayes, age 26, 6-4 210
In Worcester? Yes
NHL experience? Yes
Stats & Other Notes: Had 1 point in 15 NHL games, and 21 points in 59 AHL games.

Chris Tierney, age 20, 6-0 195
In Worcester? No
NHL experience? No
Stats & Other Notes: Team Captain. Top 10 in OHL in goals. Had 89 points in 67 OHL games with a +44 rating. Also had 17 points in 9 playoff games.

Daniil Tarasov, age 23, 6-0 185
In Worcester? Yes
NHL experience? No
Stats & Other Notes: Had 31 points in 47 AHL games. Battled injuries, but finished +2 on the year, good for 2nd on the team.

Travis Oleksuk, age 25, 6-0 200
In Worcester? Yes
NHL experience? No
Stats & Other Notes: Led team with 74 games, 2nd on Worcester Sharks in goals and points w/ 40 points total.

Rylan Schwartz, age 24, 5-10 200
In Worcester? Yes
NHL experience? No
Stats & Other Notes: 2nd on the team with 73 games as Worcester rookie, finished with 18 points w/ -16 rating, but is improving.

Barclay Goodrow, age 21, 6-2 215
In Worcester? No
NHL experience? No
Stats & Other Notes: Voted player of the year and fan favorite. Led team in goals (33), assists (34), & points (67) with +18 rating. Also dominated their playoffs with 22 points (12 goals, 10 assists) in 19 games with a +10 rating.

Gabryel Boudreau, age 19, 5-11 170
In Worcester? No
NHL experience? No
Stats & Other Notes: Regressed in 2nd QMJHL season w/ 35 pts and +8 rating in 67 games, also 5 pts w/ +6 rating in 17 playoff games.

Sean Kuraly, age 21, 6-2 205
In Worcester? No
NHL experience? No
Stats & Other Notes: Was 12-17-29 points w/ -1 rating in 38 games in his junior year at Miami (OH). Named to US WJC National Team.

Ryan Carpenter, age 23, 6-1 190
In Worcester? Yes
NHL experience? No
Stats & Other Notes: Battled multiple injuries, but was very effective when healthy. Finished senior year at Bowling Green with 8-8-16 points and a +3 rating in 15 games. Spent some time in Worcester too, getting 2 assists with -1 rating in 7 games.

Defenseman:
Mirco Mueller, age 19, 6-3 195
In Worcester? Yes
NHL experience? No
Stats & Other Notes: 27 points in 60 WHL games w/ +1 rating (also 2 pts w/ -1 rating in 5 playoff games). 2 points w/ -4 rating in 8 AHL games. Expected to compete for NHL spot in TC. Will join AHL if he doesn't make team.

Konrad Abeltshauser, age 21, 6-5 225
In Worcester? Yes
NHL experience? No
Stats & Other Notes: Was Worcester rookie in 2013. Had great 2nd half of season, finishing w/ 21 points in 57 games and an E rating. Compare that to Matt Tennyson's 21 points in 54 games, but -25 rating. Konrad could be close to NHL action if he has a hot AHL start in 2014.

Joakim Ryan, age 21, 5-11 185
In Worcester? No
NHL experience? No
Stats & Other Notes: Top 10 in NCAA goals by defensemen. Finished with 8 goals and 16 assists in 32 games w/ +3 rating in his Sophomore season.

Dylan Demelo, age 21, 6-1 195
In Worcester? Yes
NHL experience? No
Stats & Other Notes: Will compete for NHL roster in TC. Finished 2014 with 2-22-24 points w/ -17 rating in 68 AHL games.

Taylor Doherty, age 23, 6-7 235
In Worcester? Yes
NHL experience? No
Stats & Other Notes: Will compete for NHL roster in TC. Finished with 4-11-15 points w/ -6 rating in 69 AHL games.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jul 9, 2014 at 7:57 AM ]
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/105679/tomas-hertl-maintains-first-spot-in-san-jose-sharks-top-20/#more-105679

^ This above is a good report. Lists what our top 20 prospects are (were), and certain details show why some prospects were not retained.

Most exciting news? This:

2. (6) Chris Tierney, C, 7.5C
Drafted 2nd round, 55th overall, 2012

Besides Tomas Hertl, no one’s star is rising faster and higher than Chris Tierney’s. The London Knight’s newly appointed captain has always been a talented defensive player under the Hunter coaching regime. But this season, much like the end of last season and in the playoffs, Tierney’s offensive game has been a revelation. With 89 points in 67 games played, Tierney sits not just as a scoring threat on his incredibly talented team, but league-wide as well as the thirteenth highest scorer. The remarkable part of this offensive transition is that Tierney’s excellent back check and robust collection of defensive skills have not faltered. Tierney might just be the best two-way forward in CHL hockey.

8. (10) Dylan DeMelo, D, 7.0C
Drafted 6th round, 179th overall, 2011

A strong case can be made that Dylan DeMelo has been the best defenseman for the Worcester Sharks, from the moment the puck dropped in September. The first year pro has had his fair share of mistakes on the job, but DeMelo has adapted strongly to the learning curve, especially on the offensive side of things where he uses his powerful shot from the right point.

Most Disappointing:

9. (9) Sena Acolatse, D, 7.0C
Signed as a free agent, March 2011

Ever since his jaw injury, Sena Acolatse has not been the same player. He lacks the same physical domination on a nightly basis he once brought every single night, and without the sandpaper, he is not as effective.

11. (11) Harri Sateri, G, 7.0D
Drafted 4th round, 106th overall, 2008

Much of his downfall resides in just how bad the Worcester team had been playing in front of him, but he was still letting in soft goals on a nightly basis. ... He needs to improve his glove work.

18. (18) Christophe Lalancette, C, 6.5D
Drafted 4th round, 109th overall, 2012

Far too many puck battles are lost, and plays given up on early by this player.
Also to add: Sharks are ranked 15th in the NHL right now with $10,545,000 in cap space available. That number would increase if we can deal any of the following: Kennedy (2.35 million), Burish (1.85 million). That's $4 million tied up in players that can EASILY be replaced by some of the prospects I just mentioned above, not to mention new addition Tye McGinn. I think Hamilton, Hayes, Oleksuk, and perhaps Schwartz along with McGinn could replace Burish and Kennedy and do just fine.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Also to add: Sharks are ranked 15th in the NHL right now with $10,545,000 in cap space available. That number would increase if we can deal any of the following: Kennedy (2.35 million), Burish (1.85 million). That's $4 million tied up in players that can EASILY be replaced by some of the prospects I just mentioned above, not to mention new addition Tye McGinn. I think Hamilton, Hayes, Oleksuk, and perhaps Schwartz along with McGinn could replace Burish and Kennedy and do just fine.

hopefully we can find a way to dump those 2 turds

The "experts" seem to be dismissing the Sharks, lol. Just because they didn't sign anyone important doesn't mean they all of sudden suck! Still its a team that SHOULD have beaten the Kings who went on to win the Cup. Boyle and Stuart are losses.

Boyle played your "#1" minutes, I put it in quotes because 21 minutes per game really isn't true "#1" Defenseman minutes, which is more like 25 minutes per game.

Boyle leaves a void for the PP and a lack of offensive puck moving D, but moving Burns back fills that void, Demers with another year under him also fills that void.

I don't know why ESPN thinks teams must make FA moves. Hertl looks like a young stud. Not too sure on Nieto, I like his speed, but not sold on him being a 2nd liner yet.

I don't really buy this rebuild stuff though. Its just a youth movement on the back end with Irwin, Demers, and Tennyson being given more minutes. With your forwards, there was no need to add a top 6 forward. Obviously the 3rd/4th line are bit of a head scratch though with only Wingels and Torres as good grinders down there. Just not enough cap space to go hunt for $3-4 milion per year 3rd liners.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

hopefully we can find a way to dump those 2 turds

As long as it doesn't involve trading of Tierney (well, unless the price is right), I'm fine with it. Kennedy and Burish aren't good enough to crack the line-up on a nightly basis so they're really a waste of money right now. If all we need is spot duty, why waste $4+ million when we have players with high potential that can do the same job. We have multiple prospects that can make the jump: Hamilton, Hayes, and McGinn already have NHL experience. Depending on how well Tierney and Goodrow do, they could even be considered later in the season.

This article indicates that Tierney, Goodrow, and the recently signed Swede, Melker Karllson, all should play in Worcester this year: http://www.telegram.com/article/20140704/NEWS/307049627/1009

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

The "experts" seem to be dismissing the Sharks, lol. Just because they didn't sign anyone important doesn't mean they all of sudden suck! Still its a team that SHOULD have beaten the Kings who went on to win the Cup. Boyle and Stuart are losses.

I don't really buy this rebuild stuff though. Its just a youth movement on the back end with Irwin, Demers, and Tennyson being given more minutes. With your forwards, there was no need to add a top 6 forward. Obviously the 3rd/4th line are bit of a head scratch though with only Wingels and Torres as good grinders down there. Just not enough cap space to go hunt for $3-4 milion per year 3rd liners.

I agree, this team had a legitimate shot to win the cup but losing Vlasic was absolutely devastating for the team because we simply lacked the depth to pick up the slack of losing a star defender. As far as grinders on the bottom lines, I think they expect Scott the enforcer and Mike Brown to be those 4th line rotational guys. I think Hayes showed promise being able to hang with the big boys, and the way Hamilton dominated the AHL, I can't imagine him not getting more NHL playing time. Hamilton was arguably the best player on the entire Worcester team.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jul 10, 2014 at 9:47 AM ]
Oh.. and among other things, I ran across this little tidbit. Worcester Sharks may be relocating to Sacramento or Fresno, due to the ridiculous and completely unfair disadvantage of them being literally as far away across the entire country as possible (3000+ miles). It won't happen until 2015-16, but I agree this needs to happen.

http://www.fearthefin.com/2014/4/28/5659378/whats-next-for-worcester

Relocation?
Back in Oct. 2011, Darren Dreger of TSN/TSN.ca reported that eight NHL teams (San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Arizona, Colorado, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary) held preliminary discussions with NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly about the possibility of an AHL West Coast division. The reasons for the initial discussions were some of the teams felt their players weren't being properly developed due to the AHL grind, limited practice schedules, and that most of the farm teams are thousands of miles away from their NHL counterpart (the distance between Worcester and San Jose is 3,091.7 miles).

On April 10 of this year, Craig Morgan of Fox Sports Arizona wrote a follow up article that said the West Coast division, which would be known as the Pacific Division, could begin play in the 2015-16 season pending a likely approval by the AHL. Bill Ballou of Telegram.com reported on April 16 that should the Pacific Division be formed and approved, San Jose would move Worcester closer to the Silicon Valley by putting the team in either Sacramento or Fresno.
As long as it doesn't involve trading of Tierney (well, unless the price is right), I'm fine with it. Kennedy and Burish aren't good enough to crack the line-up on a nightly basis so they're really a waste of money right now. If all we need is spot duty, why waste $4+ million when we have players with high potential that can do the same job. We have multiple prospects that can make the jump: Hamilton, Hayes, and McGinn already have NHL experience. Depending on how well Tierney and Goodrow do, they could even be considered later in the season.

This article indicates that Tierney, Goodrow, and the recently signed Swede, Melker Karllson, all should play in Worcester this year: http://www.telegram.com/article/20140704/NEWS/307049627/1009

I agree, this team had a legitimate shot to win the cup but losing Vlasic was absolutely devastating for the team because we simply lacked the depth to pick up the slack of losing a star defender. As far as grinders on the bottom lines, I think they expect Scott the enforcer and Mike Brown to be those 4th line rotational guys. I think Hayes showed promise being able to hang with the big boys, and the way Hamilton dominated the AHL, I can't imagine him not getting more NHL playing time. Hamilton was arguably the best player on the entire Worcester team.

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was Vlasic that was lost or not.

I mean really if Vlasic doesn't get hurt, there is a legitimate argument you guys win the cup. You had the cup winner on the ropes, and no doubt IMO you win if Vlasic is there. Of course that doesn't mean you get through the Blackhawks since matchups are different though
Oh.. and among other things, I ran across this little tidbit. Worcester Sharks may be relocating to Sacramento or Fresno, due to the ridiculous and completely unfair disadvantage of them being literally as far away across the entire country as possible (3000+ miles). It won't happen until 2015-16, but I agree this needs to happen.

http://www.fearthefin.com/2014/4/28/5659378/whats-next-for-worcester

Relocation?
Back in Oct. 2011, Darren Dreger of TSN/TSN.ca reported that eight NHL teams (San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Arizona, Colorado, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary) held preliminary discussions with NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly about the possibility of an AHL West Coast division. The reasons for the initial discussions were some of the teams felt their players weren't being properly developed due to the AHL grind, limited practice schedules, and that most of the farm teams are thousands of miles away from their NHL counterpart (the distance between Worcester and San Jose is 3,091.7 miles).

On April 10 of this year, Craig Morgan of Fox Sports Arizona wrote a follow up article that said the West Coast division, which would be known as the Pacific Division, could begin play in the 2015-16 season pending a likely approval by the AHL. Bill Ballou of Telegram.com reported on April 16 that should the Pacific Division be formed and approved, San Jose would move Worcester closer to the Silicon Valley by putting the team in either Sacramento or Fresno.

YESSSS!!!!

I'd love it if they moved the AHL team to be closer to California. Dallas moved their minor league team to Austin, its great for moving players.

I'm excited about it because usually a minor league team generates more local interest in the sport. I'm all for growing the sport in Northern California . It kinda pisses me off LA has such great youth hockey but Northern California youth hockey is weak as hell given its population and popularity of Sharks. Some of it is just lame hockey programs and bad coaching, but for some reason youth hockey just isn't popular here.
Share 49ersWebzone