There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

Moving Burns back to defenseman is a mistake. I know were lacking there, but he has so much more potential as a forward. He wasnt ever that great at defenseman anyways.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Thornton needs to be traded

If he's not then he needs to be on the 3rd line
Originally posted by Niners99:
Moving Burns back to defenseman is a mistake. I know were lacking there, but he has so much more potential as a forward. He wasnt ever that great at defenseman anyways.

Even with Burns on defense we still need help. If we're ever going to win the cup, we need to have a better defensive team back there. Period.

My initial thought was similar to yours, that he is just so much better at forward. But for our team, we have talented and valuable players sitting on the bench or even rotting in Worcester that could be contributing. Putting Burnsy on D and bringing those guys up, we can have them contributing on offense AND have Burns on the ice at the same time on defense, ultimately maximizing the team's overall potential for production and giving us more optimal balance across the positions on the roster.

I definitely see your side, I wish Burns could stay at forward, but we need two high-caliber additions to our defense before that could really happen. We are basically dealing with "OK/Solid-but-not-great" for pretty much every player on defense except Vlasic right now.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 16, 2014 at 11:12 AM ]
Originally posted by Garcia:
Thornton needs to be traded

If he's not then he needs to be on the 3rd line

I don't think he's to that point yet. I know he's an easy scapegoat, but he needs to stay on the 2nd line at worst, in my opinion.

Marleau-Couture-Pavelski
Hertl-Thornton-Wingels
Torres-Sheppard-Nieto
Hamilton-Desjardins-Kennedy
Competition/Depth: Burish/Oleksuk/Hayes/Pelech/Tarasov/FA Pickup

Vlasic-Burns
Braun-Demers
Stuart-Mueller
Competition/Depth: Irwin/Tennyson/Demelo/Doherty/FA Pickup
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Burns on D isn't a big deal from an offensive standpoint I think he had close to 20 goals one year in Minne as a D

Which was more goals than who we traded away had, Seto (who is an FA btw)
Burns on D isn't a big deal from an offensive standpoint I think he had close to 20 goals one year in Minne as a D

Not sure we could afford to bring him back, but that would be interesting (and admittedly, pretty fun) if we did so.

What I'm just most interested in seeing how it shapes out is our D corps this next season.. that will be the true key.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Not sure we could afford to bring him back, but that would be interesting (and admittedly, pretty fun) if we did so.

What I'm just most interested in seeing how it shapes out is our D corps this next season.. that will be the true key.

We will see.
[ Edited by Garcia on May 17, 2014 at 10:15 AM ]

The offensive standpoint isnt the problem though. We need better defensemen, and Burns wasnt that great there to begin with. Hes much more valuable as a F.

Our problem wasnt so much that we didnt score enough, but we didnt defend the net well. Plus we didnt keep our composure as a team when the pressure mounted, which is on Thornton as C.

The offensive standpoint isnt the problem though. We need better defensemen, and Burns wasnt that great there to begin with. Hes much more valuable as a F.

Our problem wasnt so much that we didnt score enough, but we didnt defend the net well. Plus we didnt keep our composure as a team when the pressure mounted, which is on Thornton as C.

we need better Goal-tending also
Just got a notification on my phone that the Sharks are looking to trade Thornton, Marleau, and Niemi this off season
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Just got a notification on my phone that the Sharks are looking to trade Thornton, Marleau, and Niemi this off season

Lol

Thornton and patty have Ntc clauses
Marleau is one of, or arguably the greatest lifelong Shark in team history. I would not trade him because he still performs at a high level. Thornton.. depends on the deal. He still is one of the greatest players in the game. Niemi, I get. He was not consistent late last year. Stalock was always the future. Stalock badly needs to close the 5-hole though. He still needs to improve too. But he is the much cheaper option and younger.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

The quality of your defensemen have a lot to due with goalie performance. Niemi has won a cup before, so hes good enough. Its a matter of giving him some more consistent help. Quick is a great goalie already, but its the Kings defensemen that really help him set himself apart.

I get the points about Burns being better as a defensemen for the time being, but I think we need to make it a priority to go get someone that can fill that role, allowing Burns to remain a F. Honestly, Burns playing D isnt really that big of an asset. If we want to get better in that weak area, we cant just try and plug the hole with Burns just because he used to play there.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Marleau is one of, or arguably the greatest lifelong Shark in team history. I would not trade him because he still performs at a high level. Thornton.. depends on the deal. He still is one of the greatest players in the game. Niemi, I get. He was not consistent late last year. Stalock was always the future. Stalock badly needs to close the 5-hole though. He still needs to improve too. But he is the much cheaper option and younger.

I agree, I love Marleau
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

The quality of your defensemen have a lot to due with goalie performance. Niemi has won a cup before, so hes good enough. Its a matter of giving him some more consistent help. Quick is a great goalie already, but its the Kings defensemen that really help him set himself apart.

I get the points about Burns being better as a defensemen for the time being, but I think we need to make it a priority to go get someone that can fill that role, allowing Burns to remain a F. Honestly, Burns playing D isnt really that big of an asset. If we want to get better in that weak area, we cant just try and plug the hole with Burns just because he used to play there.

My hope is we can clear cap space through the dealing of Havlat, and letting Boyle walk, and use that to get a star defenseman to solidify that group. If we deal Niemi, we should have plenty of room to work with.

I would consider putting all the following on the block or let walk as UFA's this off-season:

Niemi (trade) .. $3.8 million
Havlat (trade) .. $5 million
Boyle (UFA - already confirmed not returning) $6.7 million
Mike Brown (UFA) .. $750K
Scott Hannan (UFA) .. $1 million

All those salaries total a little over $17 million. We should have lots of room to maneuver.